Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

impression foam scanning

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

impression foam scanning

Postby lpai » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:17 am

hi there,

i am looking to scan the emptied 3D space left in an impression foam after an object has been taken out of it.

the emptied space is usually just a few cms but may be as big as an A4 sized paper. the depth is rarely more than 5-6 cm.

i want to know if the DAVID Starter-Kit will allow me to scan such an object?

also, what is the highest resolution I can obtain with the starter-kit?..

thanks in advance,
lpai
lpai

Re: impression foam scanning

Postby Khalid Khattak » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:03 am

If the object is removed from the mold it means the emptied space has no undercut.. David will definitely give you high resolution scan.... The resolution we choose depends upon the details of the scanned object.. If their is very high details you can give 1068x768 resolution..For normal details you go for 800x600 for no details or just a plan you can go with 640x480..
Regards
PC: Dell Inspiron i3, 2.27GHz,4GB RAM,64 bit windows 7
CAMERA:
David CCD Mono USB
LASER:
David 5mW Green line laser
PROJECTOR:
3D LED Mini Projector 250lumens, Native 1024x600
[b]http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/
Khalid Khattak

Postby lpai » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:37 am

hi khalid,

thank you for your reply.

how does the 1068x768 pixels translate to actual size?

for example, can i achieve scanning at less than 0.5mm?

also, i noticed that while the DAVID 3D scanners are very portable, it does take a little work to set up a little 'studio' for the objects to be scanned.

since the objects i am scanning is just different sized impression foams, is there a flatbed solution where I can just invert the foam and put it onto a flatbed scanner and do i need to make a glass case with the camera mounted on top so that i can slip the foam underneath for scanning?... i guess you have to be a bit innovative with that starter kit to match your own needs...

lpai
lpai

Postby Khalid Khattak » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:06 am

lpai,
If you are repeating the same scanning then you can make a customizable rig setup...we have so far achieved the resolution upto 0.1mm ... As you can clearly see the stars and lines on 1Euro coin done by many users of David...

Actually the calibration scale gives you the actual size.. You when print out the calibration pattern then you measure the calibration scale on it..this value you put into the David window..After that at any resolution the scale will be the same... For example if you scanned an object with 800x600 with a scale value of 60mm, then if you scan the same object with 640x480 and the same scale 60mm..both scan will dimensionally same but scan with high resolution will have higher details...
PC: Dell Inspiron i3, 2.27GHz,4GB RAM,64 bit windows 7
CAMERA:
David CCD Mono USB
LASER:
David 5mW Green line laser
PROJECTOR:
3D LED Mini Projector 250lumens, Native 1024x600
[b]http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/
Khalid Khattak

Return to 3D Laser Scanning