Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Trying to make scale models. Can David help?

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

Trying to make scale models. Can David help?

Postby 125250 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:12 pm

HI, I will start off by letting you know that I have no prior knowledge of this technology and very limited knowledge of CNC machines. My goal is to replicate motorcycles realistically in 1:6 scale. Could I use David to scan motorcycle parts and then take the scanned image and use it in a CAM program? I was planning on building a 3 axis cnc router, or learning to use my friends Bridgeport. I am really excited there is something like this, especially if it can help me realize a dream of building really detailed scale motorcycle models. Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Trying to make scale models. Can David help?

Postby cooltech » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:41 am

Hi

Ive tried a few things out recently trying the demo out and seeing what it can and cant do (then trying filters to reduce the issues with all light scanning)

You can replicate a model but in terms of engineering accuracy you would need high end hardware and a laser to match... I think DS could do something similar 1:6 scaled in a CAD program. But I dont think it will have the definition like the original... especially with crome or highly reflective surfaces....

Give me a couple of days next week and I will try out different materials and see what results are produced... I'm working on shiney (reflective) like parts at the moment and a way to maintain laser quality.. which also includes black surfaces (absorption) to..

Here's a tester on a gold surface.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2501
Canon 7d
canon 100mm macro lens
tokina 11-16mm wide lens
canon 100-400 mm prime zoom lens with x 2 extender
canon 50mm 1.4F lens
30mw green line laser module
1mw mitre saw red laser
Merlin automated pano head
2 tripods
cooltech

Postby WalterMo » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:32 am

Yes, of course it's possible to scan a real motorcycle by DAVID and scale it down. Here you can see in the Users Galleries, as an example, that hal had scanned a motorcycle model:
http://www.david-laserscanner.com/wiki/ ... ia_gallery

If you ask him and if it is possible, you will get the 3D data of each item of the model. So you could test your CNC machine.

And it's also possible to scan big objects like parts of a car or even a sofa. Scroll our User Gallery:
http://www.david-laserscanner.com/?sect ... ry&page=u1

If the surfaces are black or reflecting, they can be treated to become fine for scanning: viewtopic.php?p=8053#p8053

Regarding the achievable absolute accuracy: viewtopic.php?p=11699#p11699

P.S. It's a great idea of cooltech even to find ways to scan strong reflective surfaces like the golden medal.

Edit: Here we can see how to scan a real scooter: viewtopic.php?f=7&p=15018#p15018
WalterMo

Postby 125250 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:04 pm

Thank you both for the very insightful replies. Cooltech, when you say "engineering accuracy" you mean very tight tolerances? I just want to make very accurate looking scale models. Do I need "engineering accuracy" for this purpose? When you say high end equipment, I assume you mean really expensive? The models don't need to function, other than maybe the suspension being able to move. I have room to set up an area to do the scanning that can be made to suit optimum scanning results. Does it need to be really dark? You want the item you are scanning to rotate on a lazy Susan at a constant rate for the laser, or do you want the laser moving around the object? Sorry for all the questions. I've read a lot on thus site, but am so new to this without any familiarity in this type of thing I get confused. Bottom line, I want to make accurate models of motorcycles the best way possible without being a highly skilled master modeler if it is possible. Seems like it may be with scanning technology and cnc machines. Do you think it's possible. Thanks again.

I was also reading about photogrammetry Would this also be a solution for what I want to do?

Postby cooltech » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:27 am

YEah engineering meaning exacting (or 99.9% near anyways)

But as a replicar for a large object yeah should be no problem.... but to nail the puppy real well i guess certain things need to be done before scanning... I cant really answer all questions as Im still learning myself... plus have access to decent video gear...

In the next week will let you know what Ive come across and how to fix certain materials.... dusting or coating and certain materials and all that just aint practical and just to messy... there are alternatives to this in a more practical mess free way...

probably chat soon about this... (I got around 24 different video modes and loads of other tweaks to work on) research sucks on times lol
Canon 7d
canon 100mm macro lens
tokina 11-16mm wide lens
canon 100-400 mm prime zoom lens with x 2 extender
canon 50mm 1.4F lens
30mw green line laser module
1mw mitre saw red laser
Merlin automated pano head
2 tripods
cooltech

Return to 3D Laser Scanning