Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Is DAVID the right choice?

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

Is DAVID the right choice?

Postby franky27 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:07 am

Hi,
I just found out about this software so didnt use it yet. I would be interested in it for one special purpose,
and I´d like to get some additional infos and advice about this.
What I`d like to do ist to scan some electric guitar bodies. I want to build one/some on my own
and would need the exact measures of the scanned bodies for that. Although the 3D effect is not so important
in the first (exact 2D shape of the body for a building plan is first priority) it could be very handy anyway for CAD purposes.
So my question(s) would be - is it the right tool for me? Will it be exact enough? Which hardware would be
the best for my case? Maybe anyone already scanned a guitar and could post the results (didnt find anything in the gallery)?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
F.
franky27

Postby hal » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:43 am

Hello and welcome franky27,

Yes, sure David could be a good tool for the survey of a guitar. But, if I undestand correctly, maybe you can solve more quicly in other way.
Are you sure that you can't solve your purpose only with good photos and the right measurament, directly on the guitar?
You could apply to your sufraces some markes and measure them. After take many photos of the entire surface/s and make a collage with your preferred software of 2D editing (like PhotoShop). Obviously you need to correct the lens distortions and fit perfectly every merkers. If you take the precise measure from a marker to an other, you can report it on your photo collage. The technique is the same for the transform homography.
For the photo correction, you can use a software like this

Mattia
hal

Re: Is DAVID the right choice?

Postby franky27 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:43 pm

Hi Mattia,
Thanks for the welcome and your suggestions.
Well I really didnt consider this method, especially
because I have not much experience in that and so I donkt know if this method would really
be more quickly for me :P, but I will definitely try it too.
However I see some advantages with the 3d scan - because it would be relative easy
to scan lend guitars, or to have the exact measures of the pickguards too etc... without
a need to dissassamble the guitar. Maybe I am wrong though...as I said I am newbie at this.
So to get a good enough scan for this purpose, would it be possible to do this cheap,
or is some high quality camera/laser a must? Thanks in advance for
any help. (Will look into your suggestion now).
Greetings,
F.
franky27

Postby hal » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:53 pm

Hi,

I think that for your purpose, if the precision is a must, you need to use a semi-professional hardware. Here in the forum, many people show great results with the webcams, but however you need a good fucusable laser and a motor that move the laser.
Take in mind that isn't simple to scan a guitar with the panels in scene. So, probably, you need big panels or to scan without panels (and this last option need a perfect stepper motor and a great controller).
So, if you aim to scan a big object (like a guitar) with the precision of 0.1 mm and without any little deformation or waves, forget to do this with the Starter Kit. You need to build a "pro kit"... that unfortunately isn't still on the market. Take in mind that if you want to add a great CCD camera instead the wecam (more precise and more details) the total amount of money won't be less than 1000 €.

Mattia
hal

Return to 3D Laser Scanning