Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

File Saving

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

File Saving

Postby osteoguru » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:05 am

Let me start by saying thank you for DAVID. I just started using it and it seems to work great!

I would like to be able to take measurements off of the scanned object by selecting points. Is there a way to get at the raw x,y,z coordinate data that is produced by the scan. The only file format I have found that DAVID saves in right now is OBJ. Is it possible to save the points as TXT so they can be selected individually and euclidean distances can be calculated from that data? Or is there another way to view the raw coordinates?

Thanks again.
osteoguru

Postby weedkiller » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:26 pm

well, the *.obj-format is quite readable by humans ^^
try opening it with editor or notepad, then you can change it by hand

for extracting just the point coordinates in a tab-seperated textfile you can use my litte programm written on delphi 6 (if you have to change)

hope it helps
Attachments
extractOBJ-Point-Data.rar
takes points of *obj and creates a new txt file containing them
(162.1 KiB) Downloaded 378 times
weedkiller

Postby Tomorru » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:48 pm

Hi,

the OBJ-Format is readble by most 3d-modeling programs like Lightwave 3d, Softimage, Cinema 4d, PovRay-Modeler, Blender 3D, Bryce, SolidWorks, Performer, Maya, Rhinozeros, IronCad, Autocad 3d, OrCAD, SketchUp and Poser...

I prefer Blender 3D, because it's freeware and is eye-to-eye with Maya, Rhino and LightWave.
For my own use for editing purpose I use software that I've written myself. It uses projected grids to get a very accurate surface.

Tomorru
--
The components have no significance except as they contribute to a functioning whole.
Tomorru

Postby osteoguru » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:40 pm

Thanks for the advice. Most of those suggestions work, but I'm really looking for an easier way to do some reverse engineering on objects that I scan. I can open the .obj file in notepad and reformat just the x,y,z coordinates so that I can open them as a point cloud in Rhino, but that is time consuming and more work than I think needs to be done (especially with 100,000 points!) I would like to be able to open the file as a point cloud directly so that I can take a measurement from point x1,y1,z1 to point x2,y2,z2. I'm less interested in having a beautiful wire mesh that I can render, and I more concerned with the physical distance between points that have been scanned. What is the quickest way to take the .obj file that david produces and have a 3-D model that I can pull landmarks from?
osteoguru

Postby moorish » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:46 pm

Use RapidForm Basis, it does quick point to point distance measurement, i found it on this page http://www.3d3solutions.com/resource_s.php

There's a bunch of other programs listed on that page that will do what you want in the scan processing section of it.
moorish

Postby osteoguru » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:30 am

Thanks...I think that program will do what I need
osteoguru

RapidForm Basis

Postby Simon » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:24 am

The direct link to RapidForm Basis is
http://www.rapidform.com/201
Simon
DAVID Developer

Postby Tomorru » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:04 pm

HI,

hm, never thought of rapidforms...
Maybe because of its only for windoofs and purchasing it is a little bit difficult.
The trial version is a pretty limited.
But I will have a try on buying one for my collection. :lol:

Tomorru
--
The components have no significance except as they contribute to a functioning whole.
Tomorru

Postby anar » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:38 pm

I have used Rapidform for several years for my job and can ensure you that, up to me, this is the best software for dealing with scanned data.

But I'm not sure if it can import .obj in the basis version.
If it does, just check the "Import points only" checkmark in the import dialog window.
You will then be able to take measures.
anar

Postby Tomorru » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:51 pm

Hi,

damm, there isn't any Linux version available...
But thanks for that hint. rapidform provides somesolution to some other problems of mine.

Tomorru
--
Tomorru

Return to 3D Laser Scanning