Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Continuous scanning?

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

Continuous scanning?

Postby Steve68 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:00 pm

If I automate the laser movement so it scans the object without me being in the room is that a problem for the software? Does it time out after a while? Also wouldn't that make for better scans?

Steve
Steve68

Postby MagWeb » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:31 pm

Hello Steve,

There are no problems using a motorized laser movement as long as the light conditions in the scanning room don´t change to much. For there is no timeout function David keeps on searching for the laserbeam till you stop the prozess. If your laser has completly left the detectionwings, David shows the message ( laser not detected. to short - to weak?) and gets no more data.

Regarding the scanning quality:
A motorized laser is a very comfortable thing. But the scan quality isn´t improved as much as you might expect (see WalterMo´s scan of a coin at
http://www.david-laserscanner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=76&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30) If you have difficult objects with lots of shadows, slow and smooth lasermovement by hand has great advantages to enlight these shadows.

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby Steve68 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:39 pm

I have seen the coin scan and it is great. With my motorized setup I can control the speed of the scan to pretty much 0. I have a variable voltage controller so I can just adjust voltage to the motor to control the speed to make it as fast or as slow as I want. Since I have such an old computer and can't get fast frame rates I have to scan very slowly so as not to smear the laser on each frame. It's very difficult to do by hand. At first I built a frame from MDF and used a steel rod and a 24 inch long piece of all-thread. I just turned the all-thread with a little handle. Problem is I get tired of turning that handle after 5 minutes.

I built the adjustable power supply with the switch so I wouldn't have to turn by hand. Now I'm in the process of automating that so I don't even have to be in the same room while I'm scanning. :P

When it's all finished I'll post pictures and results.
Steve68

Return to 3D Laser Scanning