Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Scanned object suface

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

Scanned object suface

Postby Steve68 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:02 am

Is it better to have a glossy surface on the scanned object or a dull surface? Also does the color of the scanned object change how it is scanned?

Thank you,
Steve
Steve68

Postby jbeale » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:16 pm

I think a very dull or "matte" surface is best. The software is trying to find the centerpoint of the laser line and that is more difficult you have big specular reflections that cause flare in the lens, secondary scattered light in the scene, or if all the laser light is reflected in just one direction and nothing comes back to the camera.

I think color doesn't matter much unless it reflects very little of the color (eg. red or green) that you are using as the laser light.

All this is just my opinion. The system is so simple to set up that your best answer is to just try it and see.
jbeale

Postby Steve68 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:55 pm

I'm still waiting for my laser. I bought one off ebay for $8. It is a 3.2V, but it still hasn't arrived yet. I have my webcam already to go. I will post results when I get everything working.
Steve68

Postby jbeale » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:11 am

Steve68 wrote:I bought one off ebay for $8. It is a 3.2V, but it still hasn't arrived yet.

I'm assuming you got one of the AixiZ Lasers line generators. I ordered one of those also, which I am also waiting for. Nine days after my order I got a USPS email saying a shipping label had been generated, so I assume it should be here in a few more days. The guy from Aixiz, Chuck Maricle emailed that he'd had a big order that swamped him, but that he was getting back to regular orders now.
jbeale

Postby Steve68 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:19 am

Yeah I got the same email. Only I still haven't gotten an email saying a shipping label had been generated. I paid for the thing the second I bought it using paypal. I live about 15 miles from Houston where the thing is supposed to ship from and I still don't have it yet. :evil: I'm seriously considering giving him a negative feedback.
Steve68

Aixiz lasers

Postby jbeale » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:34 am

I'm expecting my Aixiz laser in the mail "any day now". He did reply to my email where I mentioned his stuff was being talked about on this forum, and if you go to the top level forum (link below) and look near the bottom of the page at the "newest registered user" you'll see that Aixiz_Lasers actually signed up here! However I haven't seen any posts from that account yet. http://www.david-laserscanner.com/forum/
jbeale

Postby Steve68 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:58 am

I just got my email saying a shipping label had been generated. Wow talk about slow! Still if the laser works and has a tight beam then I can't really complain for $8. 8)

I have a feeling that the camera is more important than the laser. The light gathering capability of a web camera is pretty poor with the practically microscopic lenses they use. Also the CCD size on most web cams is also probably pretty small as well. I think that the ratio of the surface area of the CCD to that of its mega pixel rating is important. The more mega pixals per square inch or mm means the software does a lot of interpolating and that means it introduces a lot of noise to the resulting image.

You know NASA uses a laser scanner on the Space shuttle for inspection of tile damage sites. They create 3D images of specific damage sites so they can analyze them on the ground.
Steve68

lasers and scanning quality

Postby jbeale » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:08 am

The Aixiz laser is definitely better than the cheap laser level I used before. I got a focusable one and you definitely have to focus it carefully or the line is not sharp.

The only downside to the Aixiz laser is that it has a "dotted" line, not a continuous stripe. I think that is giving me a ridged texture to my surface in some areas. However this is my very first scan attempt with this laser (single scan, 1 interp + 1 smooth, not merged) and it is already clearly better than my previous attempts.

I don't think my camera is the weak link, it is not a webcam (I'm using a 3-CCD HDV camera).
jbeale

Return to 3D Laser Scanning