Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

laser scanning with CNC machine

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

laser scanning with CNC machine

Postby peterklos » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:59 am

Hi Thanks for a great open source project, i have several industrial CNC machines that I use for 3D carving. I use Rhino / autocad / other programs to generate STL files from a point to the clouds touch probe that is attached to my cnc gantry.

I have read the paper on low cost laser scanning and I intend to make a unit , however my idea is to combine the laser and optical system together in one housing, this would then be attached to my cnc z axis , I would then write a program on the cnc to scan the object in x & y planes.

Once i have mastered 3 axis laser simulation I would like to do full 3 d 5 axis models but not too sure how to generate the sync pulses that would determine the location of the object in relation to the laser , i am an electronic engineer in motion control / bio medical electronics and have worked on 3d models for volume rendered MRi images.

regards peter
Ps thanks to simon and sven for spending their time on this project
peterklos

Postby robinsoncr » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:56 pm

Peter, this is my goal as well. I do not have a touch probe but would like to add scanning capability.

I had looked at the NextEngine scanner. They had told me that you can attach it to the cnc as long as you don't perform any rapid moves. Not knowing what the payback will be on investment, it would be nice to use something like the David Laserscanner.

How would the requirement for a calibration corner be overcome?

Thanks,
Chris Robinson
robinsoncr

re cnc laser

Postby peterklos » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:10 am

Hi David , i am currently in the experiment phase with this project , regarding calibration have a look at http://www.vision.caltech.edu/bouguetj/index.html for some ideas on how meshlab use calibration techniques.
I have found that electrical noise from the cnc could be a problem with the acquisition data from the camera to pc , my cnc uses high frequency H drive servo motors so shielding of the camera cable is a must with decoupling of the supply rails from the camera to the pc

regards peter
peterklos

Return to 3D Laser Scanning