Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Darth Vader Scan Project

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

Re: Darth Vader Scan Project

Postby MagWeb » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:35 am

NoHumorMan wrote:Yeah. The problem here is that my memory shorts out during the fuse. I'm gonna buy more soon.

Try to use the CommandFileInterpreter ( See Wiki-manual>Shapefusion). Using this, I can solve much more difficult fusing tasks than with using the GUI.

Save the alignment done in Shapefusion as seperate files (in my case in a subdirectory "scans" in the DAVID Folder)
Write a simple textfile as shown below and save it as (maybe) "autodavid.txt"
This is the Commandfile I used for fusing my helmet(saving them from Shapefusion I named them "fin"). It saves the result to a subdirectory "Fusion" as "Helm.obj"

Code: Select all
Add  scans\fin_01.obj
Add  scans\fin_02.obj
Add  scans\fin_03.obj
Add  scans\fin_04.obj
Add  scans\fin_05.obj
Add  scans\fin_06.obj
Add  scans\fin_07.obj
Add  scans\fin_08.obj
Add  scans\fin_09.obj
Add  scans\fin_10.obj
Add  scans\fin_11.obj
Add  scans\fin_12.obj
Add  scans\fin_13.obj
Add  scans\fin_14.obj
Add  scans\fin_15.obj
Add  scans\fin_16.obj
Add  scans\fin_17.obj
Add  scans\fin_18.obj
Add  scans\fin_19.obj
Add  scans\fin_20.obj
Add  scans\fin_21.obj
Add  scans\fin_22.obj
Add  scans\fin_23.obj
Add  scans\fin_24.obj
Add  scans\fin_25.obj

FusePoisson 1200

SaveMesh Fusion\Helm.obj

Now call DAVID-laserscanner.exe with the name of your commandfile as an argument using Run in the Windows Start menue
(if DAVID is installed in the Program folder:)
Code: Select all
"C:/Programms/DAVID-laserscanner/David-laserscanner.exe" autodavid.txt

Hit enter. DAVID now fuses in the background without being visible. When ready, you´ll find your fusion result were you stored it too.
MagWeb

Postby NoHumorMan » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:30 am

Well, fusing works with the reduced mesh files. I guess the regular ones were just too big for what kind of memory I have in the computer.

Everything is running fine now and the update version worked wonders. The face mask is reduced and it brought the file size down a whole deal.
logitech quickcam pro 9000
aixiz_lasers green line laser
Egg-timer for laser movement - works GREAT for 800x600 resolution
2x100cmx100cm wooden boards, painted white, to form backing for calibration panel.
Windows XP Pro
LOTS OF PATIENCE! .)
NoHumorMan

Postby NoHumorMan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:52 am

I'll be browsing the threads tomorrow, but there was mention of something you could spray on your objects to prepare it for scanning that was easily removable again for those objects that can't just be primed or having anything permanent sprayed on. It was, as far as I remember, some sort of food color or something. I may be completely wrong. I just remember that it was said to be easily removable and wouldn't leave a trace on the object that it had ever been on there. If anyone can direct me to the post or the stuff used it would be highly appreciated.
2x100cmx100cm wooden boards, painted white, to form backing for calibration panel.
Windows XP Pro
LOTS OF PATIENCE! .)
NoHumorMan

Postby WalterMo » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:48 am

I think this thread will help:
viewtopic.php?p=8053#p8053

And the coating you are looking for was posted by Mattia (hal).
WalterMo

Postby NoHumorMan » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:16 pm

Thanks man. Much appreciated. I had a thought it might be hal, as he presents many cool ideas. :mrgreen:
Windows XP Pro
LOTS OF PATIENCE! .)
NoHumorMan

Postby NoHumorMan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:10 am

A little update on the project. These are the parts scanned. Dome, face mask, shoulder armor w/ two shoulder bells, and two separate shin guards.

The dome is being re-scanned as we speak as it was done a while back when I wasn't getting as good results as I am now.

First 3rd of the new dome done. I did the initial 360 degrees round-about scan yesterday. Took 7+ hours, mainly because I had to do every slice twice because the old egg-timer broke and the new one is a lot more jerky. The more slices, the cleaner the end result. Need to do the scan of the top part of the dome. Will use the old scan to align things together, but basically, since I don't have a sturdy turntable option the result wasn't as easily put together, as I'd hoped, so I'll have to do some tweaking, which means I'm building up both sides of the dome individually, with some excess on either side, so they're easier to align later, using the mid strip as a guide.

Anyway, here's the picture.

Gotta admit that these pieces are headache-inducingly difficult to scan properly.
Windows XP Pro
LOTS OF PATIENCE! .)
NoHumorMan

Postby NoHumorMan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:00 am

Actually... forming the sides first and then aligning those didn't work at all. Realizing I needed simplicity when creating the shape, I chose about 8-10 slices - 3 at each side and 1 at the front and 1 in the rear, having the slices overlap. That way it was able to force them into shape and it turned out to be exactly the right way to do it, as when I aligned all the other slices on the now formed shape, they fitted like a glove, save for some external areas that could simply be trimmed away.

2/3 of the dome done. The following picture is of a reduced fused file, as fusing the original sized slices was too much for my computer to handle. I need to upgrade to more memory if I want to work with the original files. Anyway, though reduced, it still looks pretty damn good compared to the old scan. There are some issues I'll have to sort out, but maybe it'll correct itself if I get the memory upgrade.

Anyway... here's the picture. Because it lacks the top of the crown, the dome looks really squat and wide. Hopefully I'll get the last scanned soon.

Windows XP Pro
LOTS OF PATIENCE! .)
NoHumorMan

Postby NoHumorMan » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:02 pm

Upgraded to 4 GB RAM Thursday. Still getting the external exception error when trying to work with the large files. I'll see if I can get a chance to fuse and save each side. If not, I'll try and do it in quarts and see if that works. The issue may be my motherboard or graphics card... and not so much the lack of RAM. A shame, as that means I won't be able to fuse the full sized file - though, it IS huge at well over 200MB. I'll see if I can work around the problem.
Windows XP Pro
LOTS OF PATIENCE! .)
NoHumorMan

Postby NoHumorMan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:45 pm

YES, the dome scan is FINISHED. And imo it turned out great. It is now in the hands of the modeler.

The moody shot. .)

Windows XP Pro
LOTS OF PATIENCE! .)
NoHumorMan

Postby NoHumorMan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:01 am

And here it is. The scan is complete.

Oh... and here's the latest comparison between the old dome and the new. Quite a difference if you ask me:

Windows XP Pro
LOTS OF PATIENCE! .)
NoHumorMan

Previous

Return to 3D Laser Scanning