[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4810: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4811: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
DAVID-Laserscanner Forum • View topic - STEPPER MOTOR AND CONTROL
Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

STEPPER MOTOR AND CONTROL

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

Re: STEPPER MOTOR AND CONTROL

Postby Bongobat » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:06 am

Hi again,

I discovered more about my motors. I have 2 that I pulled from an epson printer and the only info I could find was here:

http://74.125.95.102/translate_c?hl=en& ... FBdCAb2pSg

http://74.125.95.102/translate_c?hl=en& ... FX2svKH2qA

According to this site both are 1.8 degree steps :D and nominal 7v but I found elswhere a voltage rating of 39.9v not 24 as I thought. Does this mean normally they are driven at 7 but can be driven all the way up to 39.9 volts? I noticed the em-258 has a lot of throw out or looseness in the up and down movement of the shaft whereas the em-257 is very tight and has no up and down movement. Will this make a difference? Also is there a good way to pull the gears to these? I know the proper way to pull a gear is to use a special tool like you would do removing a GM power steering pump pulley, but I would rather not buy a special tool as it would cost as much as buying a new stepper without the gear :roll: If I heat them up can I pry them off without damaging the motor?

EDIT: I ended up cutting a notch in the gear with dremel and then gently pryed the gear off the shaft of the EM-257. I noticed that the shaft must be spring loaded internally and that is why there is no play in the in/out movement of the shaft.

EDIT2: I did some testes on the EM-257. I hooked it up to an unregulated multiple voltage AC/DC adaptor and recorded the current draw at each voltage.:

1.5 V = 0.2A
3 V = 0.32A
4.5V = 0.46A
6 V = 0.55A
7.5V = 0.63A
9V = 0.68A
12 = 0.78A

Only after the tests did I notice this adaptor is only rated for 300mA :oops: In the Data sheet to the BV4113 it says "It is capable of 1.2A per channel peak and
600mA continuous with a suitable heat sink." The Stepper seemed to hold pretty strong at a mere 1.5V. I plan on using a worm drive with ratio of ~140 so I dont think I need a lot of torque. I think im obsessing over small details till my controller board arrives :roll: Walter, do you think I can power the steppers with this unregulated at 1.5 or 3 still? The reason im wanting to do this is radioshack doesnt have the proper 5k trimmer to make the variable voltage regulator you have drawn :evil: The have a 10K :?

Greg
DealExtreme red line laser, Microsoft Lifecam HD-5000
Bongobat

Postby florin.topala » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:40 am

@ Bongobat

Thank you for links :) I asloo have a stepper motor EM-257

you can use 10 k trimmer and a 10 k rezistor [paralel bindings] :?:
florin.topala

Postby RAYA » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:57 am

Hi All

What about this usb shematic diagram?

http://www.sixca.com/eng/articles/usbst ... ematic.gif

Raya
RAYA

Postby WalterMo » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:57 pm

Hi,
A substitute for the 5k trimmer isn't critical. Florin, your suggestion can be used although the behavior of the 10k trimmer then differs a bit from that of a 5k trimmer standing alone.
Also a 10k trimmer alone will work for it contains the 5k range. Only the adjusting resolution is halved.
Another possibility is to use a 1k trimmer. Then the output of the LM317T will go from 1.2V to 6.5V.
Or the combination of 1k in series to a 1k trimmer. Then the output voltage is adjustable from 6.5V to 9.6V. Nearly every combination is possible. :)

Greg, a voltage of 39.9V for your motor can only be used if the driver IC has a current chopper function built in to limit the power for the motor.

Yes, you can try to supply the 2 x 10 Ohm motor with a low voltage of an unstabilized AC/DC converter. Let your fingers decide what maximal voltage is allowed. Put them simply on the L293D or on its heatsink and if you must withdraw them reduce the voltage. The L293D cannot ruin the motor.
WalterMo

Postby Bongobat » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:13 am

Hi,

I found 5k trimmers in an old VCR. I also scavenged most of the other components from there too. So I just had to buy the LM317T ,7805 and resistors from RadioShack. Much cheaper online but I didnt want to wait forever. I used 220 ohm resistor instead of 240 because RadioShack did not have it even though there own circuit calls for it. Just to be safe I used 2 1N4005 (pulled from vcr) to bring down the 5V to 3.5V for the laser. Hope it Is okay using 2 rather than one? So now I have a regulated adjustable voltage for my steppermotor, 5V for the BV4113 and 3.5V for the laser. Thanks again Walter. Also now Sven is working on controlling com ports from within DAVID. So now I wait for my board to make it's way across the pond.

Thanks,

Greg
DealExtreme red line laser, Microsoft Lifecam HD-5000
Bongobat

Postby RAYA » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:27 pm

Hi Walter

I got this 6 wire stepper motor sanyo step-syn 103-730 with DC 5.9 volt , .88 A and about 6 ohm each coil

specification (1.8 degree/step) .

I can not drive it with uln2003 and uln2803 because of current and also can not drive it with ucn5804 (may be discontinued) because I didn`t find any here ,so is there any ic driver for it?

Raya
Attachments
IMG_0241.JPG
IMG_0242.JPG
RAYA

Postby WalterMo » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:21 pm

Hi RAYA,
Are the six wires connected in such a way as the sketch shows? And if yes, is the resistance between A and B, B and C, D and E, E and F always 6 Ohm?
In that case the motor can be used in the bipolar or unipolar mode. The latter is a bit easier to realize.
Do you have an access to the IC MC3479 and 2N3055 transistors?

Walter
Attachments
Motor coils.jpg
Such Coils?
Motor coils.jpg (8.39 KiB) Viewed 14086 times
WalterMo

Postby RAYA » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:10 pm

Hi Walter

Yes,the wires are exactly what you sketch and each coil has 6 or 6.1 ohm resistance (AC and DF 12.2ohm) with two common wire white and black ,and about IC MC3479 and 2N3055 transistors I should go to shop but I found before l297,l298,pic16f84,pic16f877,and all atmega from 8 to .... .

I should mention that I can not buy that your usb board or Greg board or MagWeb board, because of sanction (money sending) ,so I should make it myself.

What about attached circuit?

Raya
Attachments
Unipolar_stepper_circuit_schematic.png
Unipolar_stepper_circuit_schematic.png (5.77 KiB) Viewed 14008 times
Last edited by RAYA on Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RAYA

Postby MagWeb » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:01 pm

Hi Raya,

only a hint:
don´t know whether you´ll get the parts in Iran, but you could build Arduino AND Easydriver from parts by your own. Circuits are published at and .

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby WalterMo » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:34 pm

RAYA,
What shall I rack my brain?
When they had published it, it will probably work:

http://hades.mech.northwestern.edu/wiki ... er_Circuit

Are these components available for you in Iran?

Walter
WalterMo

Postby RAYA » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:58 pm

Hi

Gunter : Thank you,Ardino look good choise.

Walter : These are avalaible here , can I run my stepper motor with this board (6 volt instead 12 volt)?
What best micro can I use with l297 ?

Raya
RAYA

Postby WalterMo » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:58 pm

RAYA,

Micro = microprocessor?
I don't know what the best is. Try to get the components for the Arduino board. It can drive the L297.
Yes, the motor and the four transistors will work at 6V.

If you put the transistors onto the same heatsink you must isolate them. The metal backside is also connected to Collector.

Walter
WalterMo

Postby RAYA » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:14 pm

Walter

How I can recognize coil number correctly ?

Raya
RAYA

Postby WalterMo » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:00 pm

RAYA,
For my sketch above:
B and E to +6V

A to transistor 1
C to transistor 2
D to transistor 3
F to transistor 4

It's immaterial if you would connect A to transistor 2 and C to transistor 1. Only the rolling direction of the motor would change.
WalterMo

Postby RAYA » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:30 am

Hi Walter

How can I find a substitute for 2N6045 ?

DS2003 has low current (350 mA).

Can I use EasyDriver to drive this stepper motor?

Raya
RAYA

PreviousNext

Return to 3D Laser Scanning