Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Wizard1 - 3D Printer - question for Walter

Wizard1 - 3D Printer - question for Walter

Postby erenaud » Mon May 12, 2014 6:20 pm

Hi Walter,
since you introduced me to this forum, let me ask you my question here - this way the community profits from it :-)

You mentioned that the X-axis of your Wizard1 is a stepper motor with a connected planetary gear.
I would like to change the DC Servo over to a stepper as well, the main reason is that the DC Servo Motor of the B9 is extremely loud during operation.
How about the stepper with planetary gear, is it rather quiet or loud in comparison to the DS Servo Motor ?

Thank you in advance for your reply :-)

Etienne
___
http://www.looxis.de
erenaud

Re: Wizard1 - 3D Printer - question for Walter

Postby WalterMo » Tue May 13, 2014 9:11 am

Hello Etienne,

Good to see you here, in addition to the B9C forum.

The main noise of my WIZARD1 comes from the sliding of the 4 linear ball bearings along the 16mm steel rods when the horizontal platform with the vat is moved. The motor with its planetary gear is nearly silently. Reason: The gear ratio is only 5:1 and not like the DC servo motor of the B9 about 100:1. So only a few cogwheels have to work.

In general: In contrast to a DC motor does a stepper motor generate its high torque even at a low rotation speed. This can result in a low gear ratio.

As you can see on the photo the linear bearings are directly mounted on the aluminum frame of the printer. So the noise from the bearings is directly transmitted to the frame. But my goal wasn't to create a silent printer working in an office, it's working (alone) in the basement. :wink:

Walter
Attachments
Photo 2 reduced.jpg
WalterMo

Re: Wizard1 - 3D Printer - question for Walter

Postby erenaud » Wed May 14, 2014 9:48 am

Hey Walter,
thanks so much for your feedback on the noise :-)

we've been thinking of maybe using a stepper with a timing belt,
but your solution of a stepper with a planetary gear and the wiper does not change so much the original idea of the B9, which is great!

The noise of the original B9 can be really annoying.
___
http://www.looxis.de
erenaud

Return to 3D Printing