Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

First attempt: Wax skull made in wood!

First attempt: Wax skull made in wood!

Postby Zeppelin1007 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:14 am

Hey guys. I just came in off of my CNC machine, figured i'd show this off!

My hardware is a laserscanner stand made out of 1.25"x1.25" aluminium extrudes..99.5:1 gear ratio, controlled by arduino (temporary, will be moving to PicMicro or Atmel Chip on custom PCB) Green laser, 5mw-25mw with focusable beam, and heavy duty custom machined turntable. Scan res was only 800x600. Once fused, i took it directly into Vectric Aspire. Only being locked in with 3 Axes at the moment i had to "chop" where i was going to machine. It was a painless process! Told it my tool sizes, set up some parameters and in 10 minutes went from fused DAVID result to G-Code.

So heres some machine action!
3D Roughing passes

Finishing Passes
Done!

Now, not as hi res as you guys with the 3D extrusion printers. (FANTASTIC WORK BY THE WAY!) Reason being is im bound by the diameters of my cutting buts, which for this quick and dirty cut was 1/4". If you notice the nose cavity in mine doesnt go to all 3 corners, rather its just a blob..Thats because the corners were smaller than 1/8th. Not bad for a first try! The machine was built by me as well. Controlled by a hobbyCNC Pro board, which i will be swapping out for my own design (EE student here) and run by Mach3.

I do have some 2x4 extrusions of MDF stock lying aorund. i might be putting together a dremel mount so i can get the tiny fine detail. Currently my machine res is 200 steps per inch, but can be in creased to 3200 steps per inch, though i will lose some serious torque. Also im sitting on a large stepper motor and univsersal motor for a future planned 4th axis..just need the arbor/chuck and some aluminium stock and i could do the entire scan!

Comments?

I love this software :D
Zeppelin1007

Re: First attempt: Wax skull made in wood!

Postby VDX » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:28 am

... you have to find smaller millbits -- the accuracies with the right material an milling parameters can be much better than with 3D-printing :mrgreen:

Viktor
Attachments
Yoda-klein-gross.jpg
Yoda4-Schlichten1.jpg
Yoda2-Fraesen.jpg
VDX

Postby Zeppelin1007 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:02 am

Viktor thats awesome! What bit size are you using? Machine specs? and whats the stock?

Gorgeous work!
Zeppelin1007

Postby VDX » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:11 am

... it's a +20 years old gantry from Isel, I'm using too for 3D-printing or laser-cutting/engraving/sintering (see attached image) -- driven with halfstep accuracy (400steps/rev, 5mm/rev), moving speeds max. 3m/min, milling max. 1m/min.

The millbit for the small Yoda was a 1.5mm flutehead, for the big one a 3mm 'tile-cutter' with round tip ... my finest millbits have 0.3mm diameter :wink:

The small white Yoda is milled from POM/Delrin, the yellow material should be foamed PS ... I'm using this for thermal shielding in my houses roof ...

Viktor
Attachments
CNC-repstrap.jpg
VDX

Postby 3dtech » Fri May 13, 2016 10:36 am

thanks for this information. you cal also see print

3d printing service in ahmedabad gujarat
thanks for this information.
visit: http://vexmatech.com
3dtech

Postby mgordeeva250 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:56 pm

Hi, this is huge, seriously! I'm just a beginner in the field of 3D-printing, but you are making such a great job, that really inspires me at least to try :D
mgordeeva250

Return to 3D Printing