Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

DIY B9Creator 3D Printer Kit

DIY B9Creator 3D Printer Kit

Postby B9Creations_MikeJ » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:13 pm

Hello folks!
I've seen a number of questions about our DIY 3D Printer on this forum and thought I'd start a thread where I could interact with anyone that might be interested in learning more.

The B9Creator is a resin based printer and can achieve pixel resolutions in the XY plane of 100, 75 or even 50 microns. Z axis slice thickness are software select-able in 6.35 micron increments from 6.35 and up.

Let me know if I can answer any questions.
Mike
Attachments
knightupclose.jpg
75 micron print sample
"Measure Twice, Cut Once."
B9Creations_MikeJ

Re: DIY B9Creator 3D Printer Kit

Postby AlexNoir » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:59 pm

Hey! I checked the page and have some questions:

1. How much is such a printer / or the components? (I don't see what is in the offer)

2. Is there something in process to enlarge the building volume? (especial in the fine resolution?)

3. (a addition to 2.) what are there the technical problems?

Otherwise its nice. Could you maybe also tell us, which size the figur have on the pictures?

Greetings,

Alex
AlexNoir

Postby B9Creations_MikeJ » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:46 pm

Hi Alex,

1. We're doing a Kickstarter Campaign right now, Kit is $2595 including US shipping ($2695 including international shipping)

2. The only way to significantly increase the XY build volume and keep the resolution it to buy a much more expensive projector.

3. Not sure what you mean?

- The smaller figure in the first photo was 100 mm tall, used 62.8 ml of resin (about $5.50 before shipping about $7.33 including shipping if you buy 2 liters at time) and took 5.5 hours to print. It was solid, hollow models would take less resin, of course.
- yes, 75 microns = 0.075 mm
- our build area will be smaller than most FDM machines but we shine on small hi-res parts. Current XY build area depends on projector setting (resolution). 100 micron is 102.4 x 76.8 mm, 50 micron is only 51.2 x 38.4 mm. Z build height is a bit over 200 mm. Z resolution (slice thickness) can be software selected in 6.35 micron increments from 6.35 up to 101.6 microns.

I also printed a larger version of the figure (see below, just the upper portion) SOLID. The larger version is 148 mm tall, used a huge 201 ml and took just over 8 hours. In practice you would not typically do this as a solid.

B9Creations_MikeJ

Postby VDX » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:56 pm

... a friend has plans to arrange 4 DLP-beamers for a higher resolution -- but you can 'assemble' a bigger exposuring area by moving the beamer and sequencial curing several parts of a bigger image ... this is called 'optical stepping' and was common with first photoplotters and making big PCB-films with small processed areas ...

Viktor
VDX

Postby B9Creations_MikeJ » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:18 pm

Perfecting the overlap of 4 beamers and/or stepped projectors will be the trick. That will probably require much better optics then come in these OTS consumer projectors?
B9Creations_MikeJ

Postby VDX » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:17 pm

... I think, the simplest methode is to measure the optical aberation of the optics and create a transform-matrix that will displace the pixel of the bitmap in respect to the measured distortions.

But this recalibration matrices has to be measured and recalibrated for every change in the zoom :?

Viktor
VDX

Postby B9Creations_MikeJ » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:19 am

A "higher" resolution camera feedback system to detect the current projector(s) output and create the transform automatically. Would need to be done *before* adding the resin to the VAT...
B9Creations_MikeJ

Postby VDX » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:09 am

... I'm thinking about adding this 'recalibration' in the slicer software, so you'll import the 3D-object into your slicer, cut and calculate the contours, recalculate the adustment with the displacement-matrix, output the image sequence ... and process the image sequence as normal with the DLP-UV-printer ...

Viktor
VDX

Postby AlexNoir » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:51 pm

Hello!
Maybe there was a missunderstanding. With building volume I meant The maximum size of one print. And where're the problem to enlarge it? The resolution is super.

Greetings,

Alex
AlexNoir

Postby VDX » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:05 pm

Hi Alex,

the resolution ist direct related to the building/curing area, as you have the resolution of the DLP-beamer what's limiting either size or max. accuracy.

I have some parts with 10 microns XY-resolution and layer-height, but the max. possible footprint is 12x10mm with a 1200x1024px DMD chip :?

So with a bigger building area the resolution goes with the pixel-resolution of the beamer ...

Viktor
VDX

Postby seaneminence » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:09 am

Alex

I just bought the B9 and your build looks awesome. I just started toi try printing true novice. I got the B9 and tried to print a stl file from the web I am just getting started on using Rhino 5 trial to create pieces. Well, I got have no luck at printing anything but broken pieces primarily because i did not have clue as to how to use or connect the B9.

Any chance you can help me get started in printing anything. i am at a lost. The wiki files from b9 forum doesn't give someone like myself a totally true newbie how to set up, connect it to my mac.

It does tell me how to calibrate it but i have had trouble doing that. got it and it was ready to go but because there wasn't any instructions as to attatch the cables to where and if you needed two monitors i thoght the machine was broke and began to readjust things and that is wehere things go wrong...

Well can you please show me by photos of how you connect ed the B9 to your computer and if you need to monitors and which to use for the build..I saw the black and red calibration before but not sure why can't not.

Everytime I start the B9 andnect it and run through the steps to print. my mac screen shows the black and red screen but the projectors shows my screens background.

What am i doing wrong! I would really need your advice.

Thank you for your time.

Seaneminence
seaneminence

Return to 3D Printing