Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

How to build supports in DAVID

How to build supports in DAVID

Postby WalterMo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:05 pm

I found a possibility to build supports in DAVID's Shape Fusion. (The tip came from Sven :wink: ).

Nick, a guy from the B9C forums showed me the way to his self-made supports:
http://b9creator.com/support/?minglefor ... ic&t=329.0

You can see they are of different construction, one is straight and the other three are angled with different wide overhang. Their upper ends are of thin cylindrical rods.

My workflow was to download the 4 STL files and to convert them via MeshLab to OBJ files. In DAVID I could attach them to the DAVID-angel and precisely shift them by mouse in a right position. The 3 objects were then saved as a group in the STL format.
The group was uploaded to the B9C Layout. It's no problem if the rods are looking downwards out of the base plate because slicing only works above the base plate.

Walter
Attachments
Angel with 2 Supports.jpg
Angel in B9C Layout.jpg
WalterMo

Re: How to build supports in DAVID

Postby VDX » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:29 pm

Hi Walter,

such long/thin/tall supports can be distorted or bent during the print and moving the vat, so better use shapes with better aspect ratio and/or stability ...

Viktor
VDX

Postby WalterMo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:45 am

Yes, the supports are long and thin. But my post should only show how it could be done and the screen shots should be an example how to do it without to use an expensive CAD software.

In Nick's post he asked for feedback and I am sure he would add some stronger ones if we ask him. And in MeshLab, before converting them to OBJ, we can easily scale them up ourselves.

Also in the B9C Slice Manager it's very easy to set some additional vertical rods just beside the supports of Nick to give more stability.

Walter

Edit: I have asked Nick to create a support with only 3mm overhang. It's now available for a download. Thanks!
Scaling it up by MeshLab for a factor of 2 we have a double stable support with an overhang of 6mm.
WalterMo

Postby hunkatibor2 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:39 pm

Hi Walter
attended a jewelry show in 3D printing. Have been presented to the support of editing steps. CAD drafting software by the propping. He emphasized that there is no perfect software solution is correct, human creativity necessary for the correct answer. Are relevant to the subject and the support relationship. The thin cross-section coupling in the material so as to be easily removable.
Tibor
Intel Xeon E5410 2.33GHZ 16GB RAM Windows 7 64bit David 4.5.0
2 Basler A622F camera 2 Tamron Asfirical AF 28-80mm lense
LG DLP Projector PF1500G Canon D40 Tokina 17-70mm 1:2.8-4,5
Humanti Calibration panel system and Alignmed&Two camera
hunkatibor2

Postby GeoffT » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:06 pm

Would it be fair to say that a significant reason for supports is to help the model pull off the PDMS surface without snapping?
GeoffT

Postby 3dtech » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:00 pm

I am sure he would add some stronger ones if we ask him. And in MeshLab, before converting them to OBJ, we can easily scale them up ourselves.

Also in the B9C Slice Manager it's very easy to set some additional vertical rods just beside the supports of Nick to give more stability.

3d print object gallery
thanks for this information.
visit: http://vexmatech.com
3dtech

Return to 3D Printing