Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

MakerBot Replicator 2 - 3D Prints

Test at 0,05 mm and 0,025 mm

Postby hal » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:23 pm

Hello,

here a couple of test at small layer thickness (Replicator 2 certified till 0,1 mm). Here the David head, at 0,05 mm layer thickness.

MatM_DavidHead_3DPrint_01.jpg

MatM_DavidHead_3DPrint_02.jpg

Here a test (completly wrong coz can't control the supports) at 0,025 mm (free model from Selwy).

MatM_Arthur_3DPrint_01.jpg

With some problems... but at the end it works. For the David head (the subject is a tribute to the David software :wink: ), I've done a mistake, and create the supports in the wrong area (the right side of face).
Unfortunally with this small dimensions is hard to have good supports: the are too strong and too much in relation of the small object and its small detail.
I'm trying to find a solution modding the advanced parameters... but is a real suffering. If someone know some about, any suggestions are welcome.

@WalterMo: don't consider the head as a first part of the David project. It is only a test and I want to do that again, at smaller resolution. but not sure to be successfull.

Mattia
hal

Re: MakerBot Replicator 2 - 3D Prints

Postby WalterMo » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:36 pm

Hi Mattia,
Very good work!

You wrote ... it's only a test and I want to print it again at a smaller resolution....
'Smaller' means higher or lower?

So the WIZARD1 has to give all. :wink: We will see.
In the meantime the resin has arrived and the 1967 layers were sliced. But before a lot of supports had to be placed by hand. I think your software does it automatically. Also each slice must be separately checked.
I hope to start the print next week. And I will try to print the statue in one piece.

Walter
WalterMo

Postby hal » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:41 pm

Hello Wlater,

I mean smaller layer thickness, not smaller statue size. this heas is more or less 3,5 cm (I forget) and is the cutted head from the 20 cm tall statue (from base to top hair).

About supports.. I think at the end I will use some customized supports, because I can't force the software to create automatically the best support I need. The software work good with bigger objects and with biggher layer thickenss. At this small values (0,05 and 0,025 mm) all is more complicated and the extrusion process isn't easy to handle. Don't kn ow how to move about supports. So I will try my last chance to save time: cut the object in order to have less invasive supports on my surface.

Unfortunally here is impossible to print in one piece... because this will take too much time and with long printing, the risk to fail extrusion is very high. I already lost some prints coz the hot filament stopped to be extruded. My machine is raw. And need lot of attentions and to be carefully... like a baby :lol:
If I should print it in one pice, having the available printable area, I will have + or - 8000 layers (plus inside filline and rafts and supports ... and every layer the extruder must "walk" all around, so I can guess the complete pirnt will take something like 48 hours of printing. Obviously not possible.

So I must to cut the object into different pieces and find the best alignment for every one, in order to don't waste the final print.

I'm sure I will finish my print later then yours.
I'm curious to see your result. Please cover the object in grey or white, so we can see the details, and try take macro photos. I will try to use the same point of view and prospective, so we can have a real comparison.

Mattia
hal

Postby hunkatibor2 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:10 am

hunkatibor2

Postby dan0891 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:56 pm

hi Mattia,

thanks for showing these prints, I'm was actually thinking on buying a replicator 2, and its good to see some reliable results first. I have a few questions, i hope you don't mind -

- can the plastic material be cleaned up, with sandpaper or fine tools for example?

- how much material did you use for the bust? if i plan for example to print something bigger, lets say a similar bust only 30-40 cm-s tall, printed in small blocks, i can imagine it would use quite some material

i do a lot of zbrush work and want something i can do prototypes with, and also scanning work that i want to reproduce, but maybe a cnc machine does a better job at bigger scales (surely not in this price range though)

anyway, thank you for posting your results, I'm very curious what you can achieve with this hardware. knowing you are a perfectionist at scanning I'm sure you get the maximum out of this printer :)

Best regards

Dan
Dan Ulrich

http://www.sculpturescanning.com/
http://www.danulrich.com/
dan0891

Postby avinash3ds » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:48 pm

Amazing work mattia like always

here are some of my tests with Type A series one printer
wil post more stuff , thanks for looking

Avi
http://aysculpture.deviantart.com/
Attachments
h1.jpg
bman.jpg
avinash3ds

Postby hal » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:17 pm

Hi Avinash,
really impressive results.
Give us more infos about (size, thickness, times of printing...)

Thanks! :wink:
Mattia
hal

Postby hal » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:05 pm

@ Dan:

- Yes, is possible and quite easy to clean the plastic print. I got only two problems with this kindof extruder machine: supports sometimes are hard to remove in the lower side, where they are connected with the firsts layers of our prints. This is more problematic if we use layer thickness under allowed 0,1 mm.
So, I've found that the best way is to create supports by myself. This require more time then the automatic creation, but give me better results and nice surfaces. I'm near to complete my David statue project. I will post here the result (raw pieces and fixed final object). About surface finishing... it is possible to do something, but PLA material need lot of care to be worked. Sandpaper works perfectly, but need time. Using a micromotor with sanding tool, need attention, coz PLA melt at low temperature.

- About material consuming, I don't know the exact weight of the bust (This evening I will post the exact weight). But MakerBot machines let us to choose the infill amount and number of shells (thickness of the "skin"). For the bust, coz was my first test, I keeped high the values, so I used more material then necessary.
I will also measure the David 20 cm statue weight.

What I can say after 2 weeks of Replicator 2 tests is: as always, less money = more time :P
This machine works, but is slow and need more time and more carefully to increase printing quality. Also I already have some problems with the acrylic plate, the motor and the noozle. To be honest, because seems that the FormLab Form 1 machine now started the serail production, I suggest to point to that liquid resin machine. Or look at other DPL printers. this technology let u have better results in less time then with extruder. My prints at 0,1 mm and Walter prints at 0,1 mm are so different. DPL give best results (but resin is more expensive).

About big scupltures: I want to test my Replicator with big project. So... check ur PM :wink:

Regards,
Mattia
hal

Postby VDX » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:24 pm

Hi Mattia,

... how big parts have you in mind?

There are some people printing with nozzles >10mm ID and flexible materials (less warping): http://singularityhub.com/2012/04/23/3d ... led-waste/

Made some tests with 2K construction foam ... working, but the dimension of the filament is hard to define exact - depending on ambient a 5mm-track can swell to a diameter from 20 to 40mm!

I have some alternative (not based on forced extruding) printing/fabbing methodes on my shedule, which can be scaled form some microns filament/feature size (my primary target) to some centimeter thick tracks without problems :mrgreen:

Viktor
VDX

Postby hal » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:53 pm

Interesting Viktor,

but in my mind I want to try to print "big" objects (50-70 cm tall), cutted into different pieces and then assembled, at a resolution lower then 0,1 mm. I know this will consume time, but I like the idea to get the best surface result possible, also for big objects.

Furthermore I want to focus myself on the surface finishing: who say that a great 3D print is done 100% by machine? We have two hands and creative mind, so... :wink:
Finishing and refining must be considered as an important step of 3D printing. We will see what I can do.

Thanks for the interesting link,
Mattia
hal

Postby WalterMo » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:05 pm

hal wrote:My prints at 0,1 mm and Walter prints at 0,1 mm are so different. DLP give best results (but resin is more expensive).

Regarding the costs for liquid resin for DLP printers:

The red resin from the B9C shop:
At present I have to pay about 117 € for 1kg (all inclusive, until to my hands).

I had thought that the yellow resin from Spot Materials from Barcelona would be cheaper because Spain is an EU member (= no customs, much less postage). Unfortunately the costs are nearly the same as of the B9 red!

So it's necessary to hollow out the objects before printing.

Walter
WalterMo

Postby hunkatibor2 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:26 pm

Intel Xeon E5410 2.33GHZ 16GB RAM Windows 7 64bit David 4.5.0
2 Basler A622F camera 2 Tamron Asfirical AF 28-80mm lense
LG DLP Projector PF1500G Canon D40 Tokina 17-70mm 1:2.8-4,5
Humanti Calibration panel system and Alignmed&Two camera
hunkatibor2

Postby hal » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:57 pm

Hello,

I've completed the 3D print of David 20 cm tall statue. It was divided into some pieces: lower legs and base, upper legs, body, arms and hands, head. Totally 8 pieces.
I will post soon the secificatioons about time required, final weight and materila costs.

Here a quick and raw photo with the first layer of coating (I need to coat because the green PLA is too much shiny and translucent... so I need to coat in order to check the urface and apply the final refinement).

David1.jpg

Best regards,
Mattia
hal

Postby VDX » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:19 pm

Hi Mattia,

have you hollowed the figure? - and when yes, to which amount/percentage?

For SLS I can use slic3r with variable shell-thicknes, infill-densities and geometries, but the SVG-export won't export support structures, so not direct usable for DLP-printing ... maybe later ...

Viktor
VDX

Postby hal » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:47 pm

Hi, the pieces are hollowed, sure.
I've choosed a wall thickness is 1 mm, infill at 5 to 15 % (in relation to the piece).
The default supports from software are not usefull for me. I create objects with a 3D editing software and add my own supports (columns and pillars, just where I need).
Then I use the "bridge" effect of the layers.

Some specs about the David print, piece after piece. All are created at 0,05 mm layer thickness.

- Base and lower legs: 5h 30m
- Right arm: 2h 20m
- Left arm and right hand: 2h 12m
- Head: 3h 12m
- Body and upper legs: 8h 58m

Total printing time: 22h 12m

Sculpture weight: 53g

Sculpture cost (used PLA material): 4,77€

Regards,
Mattia

p.s.: About slicers... MakerWare is really slow... I hope to get a Kisslicer profile dedicated to Replicator 2.
hal

PreviousNext

Return to 3D Printing