Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

MakerBot Replicator 2 - 3D Prints

MakerBot Replicator 2 - 3D Prints

Postby hal » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:09 pm

Hello to the whole community,
I'm just came back from the land of the silk and... what surprise! A new forum section! just in time to contribute also with my early experience with a 3D printer from MakerBot company.

The meaning of this thread isn't to do a favout to the machine's company (not at all!!), but to show some 3D prints of my scanned objects (with David software).

Furthermore can be a way to discuss more about problems, techniques and tricks around the printing world. As I mentioned in other topic, I already have some issues with the Replicator 2 software, MakerWere.
Maybe some Davidians can be interested to talk about and have suggestions to share about. also can be a way to share our experiences with other 3D printers (liquid resin, PLA and ABS based)
If users and other moderators fill that this thread isn't "good" because I'm using a commecial machine, pls notify me and I will close and remove the thread.

Have nice scanning and funny printing!
Mattia
hal

Replicator 2 - First tests

Postby hal » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:32 pm

Hello,

here some first tests with the MakerBot machine. I've tested to print a free object from ThingIverse site and one from the Stanford scanning project about Michelangelo Buonarroti's sculptures in Florence. As example I've printed the Awakening "slave" statue.

MatM_3DPrint_Replicator January 2013_01.jpg

MatM_3DPrint_Replicator January 2013_02.jpg

The Dragon is 5 cm tall and it required 5 hours at 0,1 mm thickness layers.

MatM_3DPrint_ChineseDragonA_01.jpg

MatM_3DPrint_ChineseDragonA_02.jpg

The Michelangelo statue is 12 cm tall, needed 10 hours at 0,1 mm thickness layers.

MatM_3DPrint_Awakening_01.jpg

MatM_3DPrint_Awakening_02.jpg

MatM_3DPrint_Awakening_03.jpg

Here above you can see the supports at the base, ready to help to remove the object from printing plate.
As you can see, the results are far from be perfect: you can see lot of stripes (layers).
But if you take in mind that this Replicator 2 is a cheap machine, we can consider the result not so bad.

The main problem are the supports: the software generate a g-code that also can create so many supports all around the object, also is sometimes not really necessary. For the dragon was hard to remove them: still have some supports in the mouth. I think that a better software will be possible, in the future. Or I must to find a way to create supports by myself. I read the post of Walter about customizable supports. They are good for liquid resin process. I will try to create supports good for this machine and PLA-ABS material. I need to find a way to have less supports and more easy to remove.

Next time I will try to print the Morpheus statue and the Matisse bronze sculpture, scanned with David time ago.

Regards,
Mattia
hal

Morpheus 3D Print

Postby hal » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:07 pm

Hello,

here some pictures about the Morpheus print, scanned time ago: http://www.david-laserscanner.com/wiki/ ... els_by_hal

Here the 3D print, done in 8 hours (I must stopped the machine after 6 hours, and I printed the upper part the day after, in 2 hours - I keep it divided, so I can show inner the area).
Soon I will print again the same model, but cutting the head with a more "logical" cut line, following the shape.
This print was made 95 mm tall, exactly as the WalterMo's one, of the same subject.

MatM_Morpheus_3DPrint_02.jpg

As you can see in the photo, the 0,1 mm thickness layers is visible. This machine can't acheive perfect result as the WalterMo's print.

MatM_Morpheus_3DPrint_03.jpg

Here below you can see the 2 pieces, and the volume, inside. The machine create a structure inside, in order to make stronger the print and help the construction process.

MatM_Morpheus_3DPrint_01.jpg

MatM_Morpheus_3DPrint_04.jpg

In the last image, you can see the grid that the printer create if we choose "Rafts" feature. Rafts are good to remove easily the prints from the acrylic plate, but can have two disavantages: is hard to remove from the base of the print and, sometimes, if the printer's plate isn't perfectly cleaned (need to wash with alchool after every print and be carefull to don't touch the surface), the rafts can start to detach after few time, during print. Last week, I lost hours of printing (and some PLA material) because that. :(

Mattia
PC: DELL Alienware 17, Intel I7-4710MQ, 32 Gb Ram, AMD Radeon R9 M290X 4GB.
SO: Win 8.1 64Bit.
CAMs: USB 3.0 CMOS B/N (1280x960, 60 fps).
LENS: 12 mm.
PROJECTOR: DAVID SLS1 ACER K11.
hal

Re: MakerBot Replicator 2 - 3D Prints

Postby WalterMo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:14 pm

Hi Mattia,
I think for a print made by an extruder machine it's an excellent result. The resolution is fine: The initials 'R.C' on the side are good to see. Also the wrinkles on the forehead. But I have no experience with these devices and I don't know what is maximal attainable. Maybe by varying parameters the fine visibility of the single layers can be reduced. Don't forget, you are at the beginning!
Looking back on my first print results, terrible, they were only good for the wastebasket.

In the next days I will receive new resin. Do you have an idea what to print next? I like to test the supports of Nick.

Have you heard something of Luc?

Walter
WalterMo

Postby hunkatibor2 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:42 pm

Hi Mattia
Thank you for the beautiful pictures, trepanation Useful for a particular show.
Tibor :roll:
Intel Xeon E5410 2.33GHZ 16GB RAM Windows 7 64bit David 4.5.0
2 Basler A622F camera 2 Tamron Asfirical AF 28-80mm lense
LG DLP Projector PF1500G Canon D40 Tokina 17-70mm 1:2.8-4,5
Humanti Calibration panel system and Alignmed&Two camera
hunkatibor2

Postby hal » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:21 pm

Hello and thanks.

@ Walter: no news about Luc. I start to be little scared.

About the possible adjustments... I don't think I can get much more. the parameters ar few and this is also the thinner layer thickenss possible. I will try to test diffrent speeds and different temperatures of the extruder head.

Suggestion about possible objects to print (from my side): the Matisse "NuDeDos" bronze statue scan or the "Justice" file. But I want also to know suggestions from your side ;-)

Mattia
hal

Postby VDX » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:21 pm

... the best resolutions possible with RepRaps is around 0.03mm Layer height and maybe 0.1mm dimensional accuracy in XY caused by different swelling of the extruded filament.

But you'll need a nozzle with 0.3mm bore, a really good calibrated priner and much experience ...

Viktor
VDX

Postby WalterMo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:25 pm

Yes, I think the announcement of Luc's death is true. Some days before he was so active here on the forums. And then suddenly gone for ever. Let's hope it isn't true.

Mattia, the „Justice“ could be worth to print. Or, what else would be a challenge for us? Maybe Michelangelo's David?
https://graphics.stanford.edu/projects/mich/
Do you have an "access" to its file? And if yes, are you allowed to give it to me?
I saw that you already have worked with the file >3 years ago:
viewtopic.php?p=8306#p8306

Or your „Melancholy“ which you scanned in Florence?
download/file.php?id=4462&mode=view
But her stole could be too difficult to print.

Walter
WalterMo

Postby hunkatibor2 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:24 am

Hi VDX
good calibrated priner

This could not translate what it ??
Tibor
hunkatibor2

Postby hal » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:44 am

@ VDX: really? great! sounds good. Wow 0.03... great. I still don't know quite nothing about this machine and I'm at the beginning, so, if you like to help me to know more and/or point me to the right informations, I will be gratefull. Thanks.

@ WalterMo: mmm but also Darky don't answer... so strange. I will try to contact him again. If all is real, we must do a formal announcement on the forum. Is a tragedy and this community must to give to Luc the right adieu. But I want to be sure about.

About Mikelangelo's David: sure we can. I have the file of the whole statue and I can send to u.
But I think we must try to print it in a "big" size, in order to save details. Maybe we can print it 20 cm tall? or bigger... I'm testing the technique to cut the object into different parts, and print separately arms, head, legs,... this will help to have faster time of printing, less structures of support and save material. And if we want have all teh datails, bigger size is better. I'm testing this "cutting" way with a nice 3D model of the digital sculptor Benjamin (http://www.selwy.com/2008/download-free-model-arthur/). I want print it big size.
About the Melancholy, maybe too hard with all the flowers. also the subject is little... sad. heheeh
Let me know ur thought about the David size.

Regards,
Mattia
hal

Postby WalterMo » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:45 pm

Yes, the „Melancholy“ looks a bit melancholic. :wink:

So, then let's print Michelangelo's David statue! I have just read that it is > 5m!
And you are right: Because of its very detailed surface we should print it as tall as possible. 20 cm would be fine. Best to cut it in two parts. Then I would try to place both halves side by side on the build base and print them in one go.

Before I would hollow out it. But how to connect both parts afterwards? I think the resin which I use is hard to glue. Alternatively I could print the statue in one piece. Some days ago I have modified the WIZARD1 at its z-axis so that 20 cm are good to solve. We will see.
Of course the original resolution of the 3d file is not necessary for a 20 cm print. It would be great if you could send me a decimated one.

Thanks,

Walter
WalterMo

Postby hal » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:20 pm

Ok. I will send you the OBJ, 300k polys and 200 x 82,46 x 45,06 mm sized.
Because my machine need to prepare object in a differnt way of yours, I will give u the freedom to cut and handle the complete model as you like.

So the challange start! :D hehehe Check your mail.

We can report in our threads the final result and the infos about time required and final weight of the object (I know ur resin and my PLA have different specific weights, but can be nice to know the statue weight in order to know how many material we used and calcualte, more or less, the costs).

Mattia
hal

Postby VDX » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:38 pm

Hi Mattia,

can you send me the data too please? - could be interesting for milling in PS-foam (60mm thick sheets) and stack them together, if it's bigger than 60mm in the smallest dimension ... and coat with a hard shell for stability/finish :wink:

@Walter - will post links to the specific threads and infos later ...

Viktor
VDX

Postby VDX » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:17 pm

... here's a print with 0.05mm layer height from "Petrus": http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?282,1 ... msg-157636

"Spacexula" did some prints with 0.02mm, but didn't remember wehere he posted this (maybe later).

And here some interesting threads for calibration and resolution comparison: http://forums.reprap.org/list.php?282

Viktor
VDX

Postby hunkatibor2 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:15 pm

Hi Victor
I understand the process, thanks for the links.
Tibor
hunkatibor2

Next

Return to 3D Printing