Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

3D DLP Print of the DAVID-Angel and other Objects

Re: 3D DLP Print of the DAVID-Angel and other Objects

Postby WalterMo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:08 pm

stecma wrote:....Print times are very high, i hope that soon can drastically reduce.

Yes Paolo, 14 hours was a long time for this last print. But don't forget, the doll was printed by 1913 layers. Each layer was illuminated for 15 seconds.
If we look on the User Gallery of the B9C forum....
http://b9creator.com/support/?minglefor ... rum&f=14.0

…..we will find a lot of prints regarding small things of jewellery. They were mainly printed by 25-50 µm thick layers and the exposure time is less than 10 seconds. But these shorter times are only possible because the objects need a smaller base area and therefore the projector can be shifted closer. So its light intensity increases quadratically to the decreased distance. And for these thinner layers they use a special resin with a higher proportion of light absorbing pigments.

In the meantime I am quite satisfied with my results and if a print needs more than 10 hours, no problem, let the machine do its job in the basement.

Walter
WalterMo

Postby VDX » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:27 pm

Hi Walter,

what's your UV-source?

When started with UV-curing I tested with 300mW-BluRay-diodes, but have two 405nm-LED's with an emitting area of 5x5mm and 9Watts of power, what's much better applicable for UV-curing with a beamer ... should be somethin like 2 seconds curing time for a 200x200mm area.

And have a pulsing N2-TAE-laser with 337nm and 200ps short pulses with roughly 400kW of power, what I have plans to test with a DLP-beamer, if the DMD-chip can handle this powers long enough to be usefull too ... should be something like some Milliseconds per layer with this thingy ...

Viktor
VDX

Postby WalterMo » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:41 pm

This time I printed one of the most detailed scan of Mattia, it's the attacking US infantryman:
viewtopic.php?p=6602#p6602

The print is about 120 mm tall and consists of 1603 layers à 75 µm. It was printed in two parts:
The man beginning at his helmet and the bottom panel. You see, a lot of supports were necessary to build. Print time was about 10 hours.

Walter
Attachments
Soldat mit supports.jpg
Supports built in Shape Fusion
Scan & Print.jpg
Scan and print (greyscale photo)
Panoramabild reduziert2.jpg
WalterMo

Postby WalterMo » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:10 pm

Here we have as the first part the print of the body of the Isis warrioress. It was scanned by our master Mattia in 2008:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=608&hilit=isis&start=15

The one piece print consists of 2026 layers à 75 µm. Lenght from her right hand to her left foot is 165 mm.

Next parts like the ground plate, the sword and so on will follow.

Walter
Attachments
Isis6_2.jpg
WalterMo

Postby MayCrown » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:46 am

awesome, awesomer, awesomest.

If I scan my head fully one day, I will want a 3d print from you my head on a superhero or game of thrones character! Like you had with ironman.

Pls don't turn me down when the time comes.
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/MayCrown
MayCrown

Postby WalterMo » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:10 am

MayCrown wrote:If I scan my head fully one day, I will want a 3d print from you my head on a superhero or game of thrones character! Like you had with ironman. Pls don't turn me down when the time comes.

Yes, why not to print your head. I am always looking for a new challenge.
WalterMo

Postby WalterMo » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:15 pm

Now I have also printed the pedestal and other accessories for the Isis warrioress. The most difficult job wasn't the print itself but to remove the supports from the fine accessories, e.g. from the plumes on her helmet.
The surface isn't retreated at all. Only the spots where necessary supports were built and removed are smoothed.

Hope you like it.

Walter

PS. One small piece was broken during removal of the supports. Have you discovered it? It's not a plume.
Attachments
4 x Isis3.jpg
WalterMo

Postby hal » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:16 pm

Hello dear Walter,

wonderful print!
the lady looks better in the print than in the scan. :wink:

I can't figure out the broken piece. How are u doing with the fixing? did u find a good glue?
with Form1 resin, I can use same liquid resin and a laser pointer. In few seconds it became cured and I can marge pieces and fix broken parts.

In meantime I've printed the soldier at 100 microns. the lines of layer are more visible then in your 75 micorns version (same scale).
Hope find time to take some shots of it.

Compliments again, your Wizard always :shock: me
Regards and Happy new Year
Mattia
hal

Postby WalterMo » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:16 pm

Hello scan- and print master Mattia,

Thanks for your compliments. For all the other people who don't know your top-notch scan:
download/file.php?id=915&mode=view

The missing part is at her sword. Better, was at her sword.
I have glued the single pieces with a 2 component epoxy adhesive:
http://www.conrad.it/ce/it/product/4787 ... 45700-35-g

After curing I have put a drop of the light sensitive resin above the splice and exposed it by an UV sun lamp. But your idea to use a laser pointer is much better, the light intensity is higher and the light can be focused directly onto the target. Are you using blue laser light?

I am curious to see your printed soldier.

Buon anno! And all the best for the new 2014.

Walter

PS. Her targe was also printed. But I couldn't fix it on her back because the belt couldn't be printed. It is too thin. And I don't wanted to simply glue the targe on her beautiful back. :wink:
WalterMo

Postby WalterMo » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:02 pm

And here comes the Ephialtes warrior which was very detailed scanned by Christian. Thanks for the 3D data.
viewtopic.php?p=28863#p28863

It was printed by 1638 layers à 75 µm. So he is 123 mm tall. The surface was not post treated (as always before), only washed in warm water with some drops of dish detergent. Not post treated means: not sanded or chemically dissolved. But it was post cured by an UV sun lamp.

Walter

Edit: Here you can see the warrior and his equipment positioned on the layout platform. The necessary supports are built:
download/file.php?id=7481&mode=view
Attachments
Ausschnitt2 v 7.jpg
A short rest before the battle begins
Upper body3.jpg
Ready to fight
WalterMo

Postby hunkatibor2 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:23 pm

HI
Wonderful, detailed, congratulations.
Tibor
Intel Xeon E5410 2.33GHZ 16GB RAM Windows 7 64bit David 4.5.0
2 Basler A622F camera 2 Tamron Asfirical AF 28-80mm lense
LG DLP Projector PF1500G Canon D40 Tokina 17-70mm 1:2.8-4,5
Humanti Calibration panel system and Alignmed&Two camera
hunkatibor2

Postby MayCrown » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:39 pm

:shock: Awesome details!
He looks more sympathetic in your 3d prints. :lol:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/MayCrown
MayCrown

Postby WalterMo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:21 pm

Thanks, Tibor and MayCrown.

The details would be much better visible if the warrior would be white sprayed. Maybe later on.

Now I have equipped the man with all the other things that a warrior needs and which came as files from Christian. Only the long thin shaft of the spear was not printed and was therefore made of wood.

I couldn't put the shield in his left hand because "he didn't want" to stretch his fingers through the holder on the shield's backside.

Walter
Attachments
AusscnittBild4_2.jpg
Ephialtes from backside.jpg
WalterMo

Great Print Walter!

Postby Christian_Mendez » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:39 pm

Hello Walter,

Sorry for the late response, family & work needed my attention the last weeks :)

Yes, my Ephialtes does not want to hold his shield either ;)
I´ve rendered the model out holding the shield for esthetic reasons - my appologies if it was misleading (I should have mentioned that)

Needless to say - your prints are magnificent! I´ve been looking in this thread every now and then...
I took the time and took photos of my Ephialtes just in case you want to paint your print and compare the level of detail that has been printed.

Original Ephialtes
WP_20140210_21_24_51_Smart.jpg

WP_20140210_21_27_29_Smart.jpg

Here´s a photo of the left hand and the shield´s inside - the hand is too big and the arm strap
is just not elastic enough. I didn´t want to risk tearing the arm strap by forcing the hand in and I din´nt
want to pull off his left hand and risk damaging it as well.

WP_20140210_21_34_10_Smart.jpg

hats off to this awesome print...or should I say helmets off? :lol:
www.greyscale3di.com "if it ain´t movin´, we can scan it!"
Christian_Mendez

Postby WalterMo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:10 am

Thanks Christian for posting photos of the original Ephialtes. My painter, it's Johanna, is still at work colorizing my Mikoto Misako print. She has so carefully painted the eagle print and therefore I will patiently wait:
download/file.php?id=6625&mode=view

And thanks for your compliments. But I haven't printed the warrior, it was a machine, the WIZARD1. :wink:

Walter
WalterMo

PreviousNext

Return to 3D Printing