Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

3D DLP Print of the DAVID-Angel and other Objects

Postby hal » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:53 am

Very very nice!

Mattia
hal

Re: 3D DLP Print of the DAVID-Angel and other Objects

Postby WalterMo » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:49 pm

Finally I found time to print Mikoto Misako. This famous Japanese doll was scanned by stecma (Sept 6th):
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5619&start=90
Thank you Paolo for the precise 3D-data.

As you can see on the photos the print was started with the head. All my other prints before of sculptures were printed in an opposite way, means beginning at the feet or the socle of the statue. But for this print it was particularly necessary to minimize the number of supports. Each of the down hanging strands of hair would have required a single support. And not to forget her little skirt! All around its hem I would had to build many supports.

So I built two big supports for her shoulders, three for the head and a small one for a bended finger.
The print is 201 mm tall and consists of 1913 layers à 105 µm.

Walter
Attachments
Puppe Screendump2X.jpg
Supports built in DAVID's Shape Fusion
Puppe2Xreduz.jpg
Printed with Spot-A-HT resin
WalterMo

Postby Lunat1c » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:57 pm

After I see the works of walter, my 3d printer choice is tending towards dlp..

Once again hilarious job!
Mitsubishi xd 206u, logitech pro9000, acer 3820tg
Lunat1c

Postby stecma » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:50 pm

Hello Walter, fabulous result, is more beautiful than the original, a true work of modern art...congratulations!!

The circle is closed with success also this time!

Best regards
Otto Grunf
stecma

Postby stecma » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:07 pm

Hello Walter,

I did not realize you had posted here the eagle! beautiful work, especially the colored one: very reminiscent of the American!!

Best regards

Paolo
Otto Grunf
stecma

Postby Lunat1c » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:57 am

Dear Walter,

How do you make the retopology? How do you keep the detail level so much? Which software(s) do you use? What's the polycount?

Best regards,
Mitsubishi xd 206u, logitech pro9000, acer 3820tg
Lunat1c

Postby WalterMo » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:06 pm

Thanks Paolo and Lunat1c for your compliments.

Lunat1c, best I tell you the workflow of my last print:
After I got the OBJ file from Paolo I built the necessary supports in DAVID's Shape Fusion:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5488

Then this OBJ file was converted to STL by MeshLab and imported to Michael Joyce's B9C software. On its Layout window the object was positioned on the build platform and prepared for slicing. See the attached screen shot.
No problem with the too long supports below the platform, they will be ignored for the slicing process.
Next step: Slicing with the B9C software. The object with its supports was sliced into 1986 layers. Each of these layers should be checked by eyes if no "free overhanging" parts exist. These parts would be cured by the light but wouldn't have contact to the main object. So they would simply float in/on the resin.
Fortunately these critical areas are red-marked by the software and therefore easy to detect. Additional (only vertical) supports of different shapes can easily set afterwards.
The black&white slices were stored on the pc as BMP images from where they could be called up during printing by the Arduino and transfered via HDMI to the HD video projector.
And, very important is a precise mechanical system.

By the way: BMP files are rather big (about 6MB each), PNG images need much less capacity (about 15KB) and will do the same. X74GHY

Walter
Attachments
Screenshot of B9C_2.jpg
WalterMo

Postby rosetter » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:55 pm

WalterMo, fantastic print!

I'm the person who originally asked stecma to scan the figurine.. I love that she's here in this thread alongside David and other works of fine art! Very amusing. :)

The smooth surface and resolution is truly impressive. So when can we expect the next version of your printer with full color output? ;) When you get close, I'd love to talk to you about the custom figurine business... ;)

Tyler
rosetter

Postby stecma » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:10 am

Hy Tyler;

it is true, thanks to your initiative we could express ourselves. Thank you so much for everything.

Best regards

Paolo
Otto Grunf
stecma

Postby stecma » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:09 am

Hello Walter,

I wanted to ask how long it took to print. thanks

Best regards

Paolo
Otto Grunf
stecma

Postby WalterMo » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:53 am

The print took about 14 hours. During this time I had refilled the vat only one time. The first layers were printed by a mix of the red B9-red and the yellow Spot-A-HT resin. You can see it by the orange colour of the head. Then I added the pure Spot-A-HT and the print colour changed more and more to yellow.
Apart from that it runs independently.

In the meantime I have removed the supports. Maybe Johanna likes to colourize her........

Walter
Attachments
Ohne Supports.jpg
WalterMo

Postby hal » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:48 pm

Wonderful print, Walter.

Question: why you need so big supports? the contact points with the object are quite big. It is necesarry or just a way to be sure that the prints won't fail?
What can you tell me about a vacuum effect that the resin create during peeling (movement of the resin tank)? With Form1 machine this is a little issue, that sometimes can create probelms.

Best regards,
Mattia
hal

Postby WalterMo » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:48 pm

Thanks Mattia,

Maybe the supports to her shoulders could have built thinner, but:
1. I haven't all sizes of supports available. Of course I could have modified the existing. But I was too lazy. And....just to make sure.
2. I couldn't estimate what forces would act on the supports, specially on the area where they „grow“ out of the build platform. The print is 200 mm tall, therefore a tilting-torque exists to the supports when they are horizontally shifted across the bottom of the vat.
3. The contact points with the object are not so big as it seems, the „huge“ supports end in thinner cylinders, easy to cut afterwards.

Regarding the vacuum effect: The problem is to lift the build platform vertically from the bottom of the vat. It is „sucked“ like glued. Reason: The space between the platform and the vat is a very thin layer of resin. During a (tried) lifting no other resin can immediately afterflow. Similar effect to a plunger. If however the platform would be lifted by a (bigger) force the silicone coating (PDMS) of the vat's bottom could be damaged.
Solution is to shift the „plunger“ horizontally over an edge to a place where the distance to the bottom is bigger (3 or 4 mm). See my attached sketch. This was the (patented) idea of Michael Joyce for his B9C.

A coating of the vat's bottom with PDMS or a special foil (PTFE/PVDF) is necessary in any case to avoid a sticking of the light-cured resin. Some DLP printers don't move the vat horizontally, they tilt it for some degrees. It will have the same effect against the vacuum. Advantage: The vat can be made shorter. But tilting was already patented long before. Therefore the creator of the B9C had to find a new solution.
In my opinion horizontal sliding is the better way.

Walter
Attachments
Vat of WIZARD1_2.jpg
Vat of the B9C (created by Michael Joyce) and of my WIZARD 1
WalterMo

Postby hal » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:45 pm

Hello,
thanks so much for the detailed answer.

So we can say that exist 2 methods to detach the cured layer from the PDMS:
1) rotation of the vat;
2) shifting horizontally of the vat.

Seems that the shifting is better and avoid 100% the sucker effect. Rotation still can have that issue, reduced but have.

Thanks and regards,
Mattia
hal

Postby stecma » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:59 pm

Hello Walter,
thank you very much for your explanations about this advanced technology, I think that few know what you know. Print times are very high, i hope that soon can drastically reduce.

Best Regards

Paolo
Otto Grunf
stecma

PreviousNext

Return to 3D Printing