Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

3D DLP Print of the DAVID-Angel and other Objects

3D Print of the Michelangelo David

Postby WalterMo » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:10 pm

Hi Mattia,
Of course I cross my fingers for your print. Same as you had done for mine. :wink:

Regarding the wrong proportions: I adapt the width of an object to its hight manually, that means:
First I slice it with the B9C slicer at 101.6 µm (max. possible thickness). Then I see how many slices really were made. This number is multiplied by the (preset) layer thickness of the WIZARD1 (105 µm). Result: The final hight.

By MeshLab I measure the sizes of the object (proportions). The same ratio is now important for my WIZARD1. Means I have to adjust the width of the intended print by vertically shifting the projector (coarse steps). Fine tuning is done by the zoom lens.

My mistake was when I measured the hight of the bust that I measured from a wrong plane. I mixed up the waist of David with the plane where the first slice was done, just at the level of the left elbow.
I do hope to do this part correct for the next print, but I am quite sure then I will do something else wrong. :oops:

Walter

Edit: The shiny red plastic of the print isn't good to photograph. Therefore I used above the DAVID CCD monochrome camera at green and blue LED illumination. Not red! The camera was in the centre of the RGB illuminator:
viewtopic.php?f=3&p=25904#p25904

Now I substituted the monochrome cam by my higher resolution digital photo cam. See the (blue) result.
Attachments
David bust green&blue4.jpg
Central green and blue illumination of the red plastic. No shadowing.
WalterMo

Re: 3D Print of the Michelangelo David

Postby VDX » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:18 am

... I'm thinking, it's the 'pixelation' of the slices - Walter, you can try with antialiazing the images, so the horizontal pixel-steps will be smoothed away.

The vertical steps can only be reduced by lower layer-height or 'blurring' through adding more opacity to the resin.

With the (yellow) Eiffel-tower prints (from Christian in the CNC-Ecke) there was interesting, that with 0.05mm layer height every layer-step was sharp defined and clearly visible, while with 0.01mm they were much more smooth or even complete averaged away ...

Viktor
VDX

Re: 3D Print of the Michelangelo David

Postby WalterMo » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:15 pm

Now the David bust is without its supports. They were easy to remove, I had learned the handling by the DAVID angel. :wink:

@ Victor: The „Moiré“ on the blue image above, specially on the left hand and the breast are very fine contour lines, only visible under special conditions. Normaly not without a magnifying glass. I don't know why they are so magnified to see under green and blue LED illumination.
But in future I will try to reduce them by using a higher resolution for the slicing. At present it was set to 1024x768. In future I will set it to 1920x1080, this would correspond with the native resolution of my projector.

Walter
Attachments
David 2x v halb rechts.jpg
Scan and print
David 2x v halb links.jpg
WalterMo

Print of the Michelangelo David

Postby WalterMo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:46 am

The hollowed out 206 mm David statue successfully printed in one piece!

More will follow.
Attachments
David statue during printing.jpg
WIZARD1 in action
WalterMo

Postby hal » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:59 pm

Cool! Liquid David!
Impressive :shock:

Mattia
PC: DELL Alienware 17, Intel I7-4710MQ, 32 Gb Ram, AMD Radeon R9 M290X 4GB.
SO: Win 8.1 64Bit.
CAMs: USB 3.0 CMOS B/N (1280x960, 60 fps).
LENS: 12 mm.
PROJECTOR: DAVID SLS1 ACER K11.
hal

3D Print of the Michelangelo David

Postby WalterMo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:21 pm

The "liquid David" has become solid. :wink:
You can see the 206 mm statue in full size and in all of David's perfect beauty. I mean Michelangelo's great work!
The print consists of 1967 layers á 105 µm.
The weight of the hollow statue is 73 grams. So the material costs are 8.66 € (incl. shipping and customs duty). About 5% should be added for supports.

Walter

PS. Can you recognize that David squints? You don't believe? Here is a photo of the original face taken by the Stanford team:
https://graphics.stanford.edu/projects/ ... aser-s.jpg
Attachments
David statue 206mm_2.jpg
DavidComparisonScan&Print.jpg
Scan and print. Latter with green and blue LED illumination.
Panoramabild5xDavid.jpg
The white sprayed statue
WalterMo

Re: 3D Print of the DAVID-Angel

Postby VDX » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:59 pm

Hi Walter,

'PacManFan' on RepRap forums is developing another slicer, that generates bitmaps for UV-DLP-printing and user configurable G-Code for the stage.

I've tested it's slicing capabilities with the david object - easy to handle, pretty fast, but some problems with non-manifold objects ... it's still in alpha status, so should be better with time ...

Here the link to the discussion: http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?156,1 ... msg-187880

Download links for the software in the starting post ...

Viktor
VDX

Re: 3D Print of the Melancholy

Postby WalterMo » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:09 am

Here we have the „Melancholy“.

The original sculpture was created by Rinaldo Carnielo and scanned by Mattia in Florence in 2011:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=534&p=17829&hilit

Before printing it was hollowed out and also a bit modified by Mattia. Latter means the flowers of her stole were substituted by „simple“ cloth. So it was easier to print. Let's hope that Rinaldo Carnielo will forgive us when he looks down from heaven. :wink:
The print consists of 910 layers á 105 µm. Projector resolution was set to 1366 x 768 pixels.

Walter

Edit: @Viktor:
In the post above you mentioned a new slicer software. But at present I am very satisfied with the B9C slicer of Michael Joyce. It works fine. Thanks again to Mike for his great work and for the possibility to let it available for everyone for free.
Attachments
Melancholy 3x.jpg
Melancholia4 3x.jpg
WalterMo

Re: 3D Print of the DAVID-Angel

Postby B9Creations_MikeJ » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:56 am

Very nice! Glad to hear our slicer is working well for you too. :D
"Measure Twice, Cut Once."
B9Creations_MikeJ

Re: 3D DLP Print of the DAVID-Angel and other Objects

Postby WalterMo » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:00 pm

The eagle is landed in our garden. :D

Thanks to stecma for the 3D data. He has SL scanned it from a wooden carving, 292 mm tall:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5619&start=60

My print now consists of 1655 layers, so its hight is 174 mm. Before printing it was hollowed out by Sven's Make Hollow software:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5479

Walter
Attachments
4X Eagle3.jpg
WalterMo

Postby hal » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:06 pm

Wonderful! Now the eagle can fly, free!

Compliments
Mattia

p.s.: I see that some small lines are visible... do you think this is related to the Z axis movement or to the "vacuum effect" of the resin?
hal

Postby WalterMo » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:01 am

Mattia, thanks for the compliments.

Yes, the surface of the eagle isn't as smooth as the skin of the Melancholy above.

I think the horizontal lines are due to a becoming worse PDMS coating on the vat's bottom. Sliding of the just printed layer over the surface wasn't as perfect as it should. The coating must be renewed. Also some other parameters were changed: This time I have used a higher resolution of 1280 x 1024 for slicing and 1920 x 1080 for printing. Of course the higher resolutions cannot be the reason why.

Unfortunately it's difficult to see such lack during printing. I am still in a learning process.

Walter
WalterMo

Bust of Iron Man

Postby WalterMo » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:52 pm

Now you know who is under the helmet of Iron Man, it's me! :shock:

This time I have printed my SL scanned head when it was „mounted“ on the body of the Iron Man. Latter came from GrabCad:
http://grabcad.com/library/iron-man-mk-3-suit-3d-scan

And the head scan came from here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3415&start=15

The hollowed print was made by 743 layers, so its height is 78 mm. Resolution for slicing was 1280x1024 and for printing 1920x1080.

The original surface (from GrabCad) of the armour looks like polished. But I reduced a bit its mesh density, so it got a fine structure. For this print no supports were necessary to build.

Walter
Attachments
Bueste 4x_4.jpg
The print
WalterMo

Postby hal » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:10 am

WOW
Iron Walter!

Great job,
Mattia
hal

Postby WalterMo » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:55 pm

Thanks Mattia.

In the meantime the eagle has become a bald eagle [Haliaeetus leucocephalus]. Thank you Johanna for colorization. Great job!

Walter
Attachments
Adler koloriert4.jpg
WalterMo

PreviousNext

Return to 3D Printing