Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

3D DLP Print of the DAVID-Angel and other Objects

3D DLP Print of the DAVID-Angel and other Objects

Postby WalterMo » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:23 pm

This print was made with three improvements of the WIZARD1 printer, one regarding the hardware and two regarding the software.
Hardware:
The shutter to blockade the projector's light beam was driven by a servo. Its built-in potentiometer could not survive several hundreds of 90° rotations. Now the servo is substituted by a long-living stepping motor.
Softwares:
1. I found a suitable software to manually build supporting rods.
2. I got a software which enables a hollowing of the object. So a lot of (expensive) resin can be saved. Even the wings and the arms are hollowed. The wall thickness of this print was set to 2 mm.

The angel is 73 mm tall and has a "wingspan" of 65 mm.

My job tomorrow will be to carefully remove the supports, maybe they were placed too close together. But better a rod more than one too less. :(

Walter

Edit: Regarding hollow objects: It's not allowed to leave liquid resin in the printed objects! All hollow parts must be connected somehow to the outside. As an example for the angel, the hollow head is connected by the hollowed throat to the body and from here by a hole in the base plate to the ambience.
Attachments
DAVID Angel w supports.jpg
WalterMo

Re: 3D Print of the DAVID-Angel

Postby VDX » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:32 am

Hi Walter,

good result :D

Which software have you used?

Viktor
VDX

Postby WalterMo » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:07 am

Hi Viktor,

Now I am using Michael Joyce's B9C software for slicing. Input file format can only be STL. Therefore I had to use MeshLab for converting.
After slicing you can open the tool 'Slice Manager'. Now each layer is visible and can be scrolled by a slider.
And, very useful:
1. By a white or black pencil one can correct imperfections of each slice.
2. During scrolling the overhanging parts of the object are marked in red in the slice. Now you can easily set at this place a rod with a round, square or triangle shape.

After these corrections I export the slices as BMP files into a folder from where they are „called up“ later on by the Arduino to be projected by the projector.

The software to hollow out an object is the very first beta version from DAVID 3D Solutions. Maybe it will be free in the future, I don't know.

Walter

Edit: In the meantime you can download the software to hollow out objects, it's free :D :
viewtopic.php?f=8&p=25596#p25596
WalterMo

Postby WalterMo » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:08 pm

Here we have the „cleaned“ angel. It was no problem to remove the rods. I mainly used this device with a mini milling cutter clamped:
http://www.proxxon.com/de/micromot/28512.php?list

Of course a steady hand was necessary. :wink:
Attachments
DAVID-Angel pur.jpg
WalterMo

Postby Simon » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:37 pm

Hi Walter,

very nice work! I am pleased to see that your 3d printer is working so well!
Great, now you can reproduce our DAVID angle. Unfortunately the pigeon of the original figure is broken. But I think some glue also serves the purpose :wink:
Simon
DAVID Developer

Postby hal » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:30 am

Hello dear Walter,
Wow really great. Now the David angel is ready to fly.
Is incredible to see that in so short time u have created ur own machine and have these sucks of perfect results. Noe the new step should be to find a free complete software to create automatically the supports and rods.
Compliments,
Mattia
hal

Postby VDX » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:12 am

... talk with Chris about adding supports in his software :wink:

In the RepRap-slicers we already have automated support - but it seems, this is only usable for generating paths for printing a layer, not for complete slice-bmp's/SVG's.

For XY-printing with a SLA-setup or SLS with a laser this is OK, but for DLP-printing you need it in the slice--image.

I was thinking about modifying freesteel, but have other projects consuming most of my time :roll:

Viktor
VDX

Postby WalterMo » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:22 am

Hi Mattia,

Thanks!
I think an automatically set of the supporting rods isn't necessary. By using the B9Creator software of Michael Joyce it's easy to build the supports by hand. But the rods are only vertical. It would be great if the rods could be set slanting at an angle. In so doing they wouldn't touch the object on their way and only hit it where it is intended. E.g. the elbows of the angel: The rods could start from the build-base and not from the thighs and so on. I had to do a lot of freehand milling work.

Walter
WalterMo

Postby VDX » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:02 pm

... in comercial slicers the support structures are calculated/added in the 3D-space, so you can optimise in various manors.

For easier removability the struts and/or joints to the object are hollow, so you'll receive only thin shells which are easy to break away and clean, not solid parts.

And for manually adding supports: - 'constructing' them in the CAD-software should be much simpler than drawing in the exported slice images ...

Viktor
VDX

3D Print of the Morpheus bust

Postby WalterMo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:58 pm

And now a print of the well known Morpheus sculpture. "Well known" because it was already presented by Mattia on our DAVID Wiki site "Scanning Without Panels":
http://www.david-laserscanner.com/wiki/ ... els_by_hal
And here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=534&start=15

Mattia had scanned the bust some years ago in the Florentine Museum, Galleria Rinaldo Carnielo. The sculpute was created by Carnielo himself in 1875. Its hight is 110 cm.

For me it was a great challenge to print the bust, very detailed by the flowing hair and beard. Also, because Morpheus's head is bent-forward, some supports were necessary to set. Thanks to Mattia for the 3d file and his pre-work to hollow out the bust.

The print is 95 mm tall, built-up of 900 layers and the wall thickness is about 4 mm.

In the meantime my stock of resin slowly dwindles. Let's hope new one will arrive soon. There are still so many things to learn by doing.

Walter

PS. Regarding setting of supports: Viktor is right, sooner or later we must look for a suitable CAD software.
Attachments
Morpheus2x.jpg
WalterMo

Re: 3D Print of the Morpheus bust

Postby hal » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:36 am

Incredible. Really happy that u close the circle: from real to real, throught the David scanning.
The print looks great, maybe just not easy to see the details coz because the red shiny material. Maybe you could spay it with the fine coating spray of the David shop. White matte color can help to show better the fine details.
I'm curious to check if the the tool sculptor's signs and the signature are visible on the lower sides.

Compliments,
Mattia
hal

Re: 3D Print of the Morpheus bust

Postby WalterMo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:59 pm

Mattia,
I have followed your suggestion and sprayed the print with the spray from the DAVID shop. But before I have checked if it is easy to remove and doesn't harm the plastic surface.
We can clearly see that now also fine details are visible. The signature of Carnielo on the side isn't really visible, only a little bit and only then if you already know that there is something written.

But now if we look on Morpheus's forehead we can see the wrinkles and also the fine vein.
On the other hand also some print imperfections are noticeable: Thin horizontal lines at the lower part of the print. They are leading around the print and could be caused by the z-axis sleigh. Never seen something similar before on my prints.
Summa summarum I am satisfied with the result. :D

Walter

PS. Have a good return flight!
Attachments
Morpheus Scan&Print.jpg
Left: Scanned by Mattia, right: Printed by the WIZARD1
Morpheus Scan&Print2.jpg
WalterMo

Postby hal » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:58 pm

Thanks for the check with spray.
Yes the result is very good.

Now that I have a PLA 3D printer, I can try to print same model, same size, and do a comparison.
Jut now I'm completing my second print, a model scanned from the Stanford University, years ago, in Florence: https://graphics.stanford.edu/projects/mich/

I will post the results under a new topic "MakerBot Replicator 2 - 3D Prints"
I know isn't a "selfmade" machine, but maybe can be a nice place where to show, soon, scans also of scanned objects with David.

Thanks the fly back was good... but my luggage arrived one day after me :(
Hope one day to change my David account's info, and have "Guangzhou, China" instead "Italy" as location eheheheh :lol:

Mattia
hal

Print of the Michelangelo David

Postby WalterMo » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:44 pm

Here we have the print of the upper part of the Michelangelo's David statue. The original sculpture in Florence......
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_(Michelangelo)
…...was scanned in 1999 by a team of 22 people from the Stanford University:
https://graphics.stanford.edu/projects/mich/
They needed 4 weeks to scan the 5.17m tall David:
https://graphics.stanford.edu/projects/ ... david.html

My 82 mm print which consists of 782 layers should be a test for a complete 20 cm tall David. But such a high object to print in one piece needs a lot of preparation time and some experience. Specially the „building“ of supports is time-consuming. So I decided first to do this test print with a hollowed out bust.
You can see how the supports were set to support the point of nose, the curls and one fingertip of his left hand. Even the sagging slingshot between shoulder and left hand is supported.

Comparing the images of the scan and the print we see that I had miscalculated the proportions: All is too high. But as I said above, it should be a test.

Walter

PS. Now I have carefully to remove the supports.
Attachments
David_bust_scan&print_front.jpg
Scan and print
David_bust_scan&print_left.jpg
Scan and print
WalterMo

Postby hal » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:23 pm

Hello Walter,

is umbelivable that this is only 0,1 mm layer thickness. I can see that the DLP technique give a real "boost" about surface qulity. I'm working between 0,05 and 0,035 mm to have similar results (with my extruder machine)

I'm still printing (need to do the 2 arms) and then I will glue and marge all the separated pieces.

Also I can say that supports for this liquid resin printer are more easy to do. Here I still have huge issues with that. Now I'm testing "homemade" supports, because the default refts and supports make the surface terrible (and need lot or sanding work).
Just now that I'm writing, machine is printing this:

MatM_David3DPrint_ArmCustomSupports.jpg

Cross the fingers!!

Pity ur first test have wrong proportions? Why? Slice images distorted or too fast z-axis?

Mattia
hal

Next

Return to 3D Printing