Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

DIY 3D Printer -- Low Cost & High Resolution

DIY 3D Printer -- Low Cost & High Resolution

Postby benoy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:01 am

Hello every one,

I read about this printer devoloped by jvelosojunior in our forum sometimes back. Hal and WalterMo had mentioned about it?????.( I believe I read about it in their posts) Now as a fund raising campain it seems Veloso is offering it at a reduced cost. They are offering the technology to the final product including one formula for the resin. The fund raising campaign is through Indiegogo.

Is somebody aware of them and their authenticity / the fund raising campaigner authenticity?

The following are their specifications as mentioned in their web site.

Building Area: 150 X 112 X 200mm XYZ
DLP Projector: 1024X768 (Native)
Resolution: 15 to 100 Microns Z - 147 microns XY (XY resolution can be improved by reducing the building area - this will be possible in the kit)
Weight: under 15 KG for complete kit
Sixe: Desktop printer size
Office friendly: low noise (almost nothing)

The following are their details,

http://www.indiegogo.com/veloso3dprinter

http://3dhomemade.blogspot.com/

http://www.wix.com/3dprinterfaq/veloso3d

Thankyou

Benoy Mathew
benoy

Re: DIY 3D Printer -- Low Cost & High Resolution

Postby WalterMo » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:37 pm

Yes, Mattia and me are interested to build this high precision 3D printer. It would be a perfect „symbiosis“ of Veloso's 3D printer and DAVID.

Let's hope that Junior Veloso will achieve the set goal of $300,000 so that he can start with production.

benoy wrote:Is somebody aware of them and their authenticity / the fund raising campaigner authenticity?

Indiegogo seems to be OK, but all has its risk. :wink:
For me it's a relatively manageable risk because I intend to build as much as possible by myself.

Walter
WalterMo

Postby macdaddyjaz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:20 pm

Hi guys - I have also been watching the project. I new it was going to be quite pricey but I was a little surprised at its cost! It has made it too much of an investment for me unfortunately.

Anyway, I thought you would be interestested in these two links -

Home brew kit

Potentially Lower-cost-than-veloso

For the record I am an industrial design engineer with a great interest in all this. I would love to get involved with development of an open source home brew kit - just in case anyone is thinking about doing something like that!!
-Optoma EP1690 - 1280 x 768
-Canon 40D
-Macbook pro on bootcamp
-Home made adjustable rig mounted on a telescope tripod
macdaddyjaz

Postby WalterMo » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:57 am

Chris,
Thanks for these links, I didn't know them before.

Reading the comments on this Indiegogo site......:
http://www.indiegogo.com/veloso3dprinter?c=comments

…..I am more and more doubtful what to do. And it loomed ahead that the $300,000 goal cannot be accomplished.

In the end, when the chips are down, we have to create our own 3D printer project here on this forum.
Scanning with DAVID and then printing with DAVID. Sounds good!

Walter
WalterMo

Postby mipu » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:39 am

i was following the project some months already. what turns me off is the building time of 1 - 1.5cm per hour.
windows 7 quadcore, benq beamer, canon dslr, automatic rotating table.
mipu

Postby macdaddyjaz » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:11 pm

WalterMo wrote:Chris,

In the end, when the chips are down, we have to create our own 3D printer project here on this forum.
Scanning with DAVID and then printing with DAVID. Sounds good!

Walter

I agree. I believe there is a wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum and it could be done. I would gladly be involved in such a project.

mipu wrote:i was following the project some months already. what turns me off is the building time of 1 - 1.5cm per hour.

Me too. I think the issue is that the resin is cured by visible wavelengths of light - logically the resin would need to be far less reactive else it would be curing in normal light. Also, as we all know, projectors don't project black (it seems silly to write it!) so black is just darker than the other bits of the projection. A reactive resin would would cure these 'black' bits too - so I the resin needs to be more docile. I am guessing all this though. . . . .

I have been looking into UV resins that will cure in 1-2 seconds of 350-400Nm light and considering a home brew printer that can be made from scrap parts. Once I have a bit more to tell I will . . . .

I think unfortunately Junior might be aiming at a 3d printing market that doesn't exist. Too expensive for the hobbyist, not proven enough for the professionals. I hope he makes the funding target though.
-Optoma EP1690 - 1280 x 768
-Canon 40D
-Macbook pro on bootcamp
-Home made adjustable rig mounted on a telescope tripod
macdaddyjaz

Postby pottersfriend » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:12 pm

I too am interested in this and have been following a lot of different sites. Here are a couple in case anyone is interested.

http://3dlprint.com/

http://www.chemshapes.com/

The last site mentions an interesting idea they are trying to explore called "Rapid Shot", which would do an entire object in one shot. Of course no details yet. This is something I've thought of also and it would be a huge leap in time savings if it's possible.
pottersfriend

Postby benoy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:24 am

WalterMo, Pottersfriend, macdaddyjaz
Before Velso came out with his indigeo project I thought of suggesting a similar project to Walter Mo. Thanks a lot for all the other 3D site address

Regards

Benoy
benoy

Postby WalterMo » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:38 am

First step on a long way to a 3D DLP printer is made: The Z-axis is built.

Its travel is 280 mm and the spindle has a pitch of 3 mm, in 1/8 micro step mode the resolution is about 2 µm. Hopefully the two end switches will never be used. But who knows, 3D printing with UV-curable resin needs a long time, about 15 mm per hour. And what all can happen during the nights? :wink:

As long as the other components aren't build-up I can use it as a fine linear moving laser scanner.

Walter
Attachments
Linear Guide2.jpg
WalterMo

Postby Khalid Khattak » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:57 pm

Hi Walter,
I am really very interested in your design . I have a lot of questions like a child.. Is it possible you start a new thread for your build log? What resin you shall use?
PC: Dell Inspiron i3, 2.27GHz,4GB RAM,64 bit windows 7
CAMERA:
David CCD Mono USB
LASER:
David 5mW Green line laser
PROJECTOR:
3D LED Mini Projector 250lumens, Native 1024x600
[b]http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/
Khalid Khattak

Postby WalterMo » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:04 pm

Hi Khalid,

It is still too early to start here a new thread. Like you I am a complete beginner. All my ideas how to start come from Junior Veloso and from a guy whose nickname is Printer. The latter is very frankly, he has initiated this project (Thanks to pottersfriend for pointing at):
http://3dlprint.com/

I have started with the Z-axis because it's necessary at all and both guys are using it. So step by step I try to realize things and can translate them into action.
As I told above, it will be a very long way.

Walter
WalterMo

Postby jantje » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:07 pm

hi Walter
Why do you have a moving laser on your 3DPrinter Z axis? :twisted:
Best regards
Jantje

PS as always: Great work
jantje

Postby WalterMo » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:35 am

WalterMo wrote:As long as the other components aren't built-up I can use it as a fine linear moving laser scanner.

Hi Jantje,
I have never had before such a precise linear laser scanner. Only this one:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1486

Walter
WalterMo

Postby jantje » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:41 pm

WalterMo wrote:Hi Jantje,
I have never had before such a precise linear laser scanner. Only this one:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1486

Walter

Did you make the drive yourself or did you buy it? I mean 2 µm that is really impressive. Hard to believe it is hand crafted. The spindle must be machine made on a high tech machine (I assume it is rust free). Did you make the slider yourself?
Is 2 µm the smallest step or is it the repetitivity?
How do you do the absolute positioning (making sure you start at the same point every time). This is the part I struggled with the most when doing plane less laser scanning.
What do you plan to use to control the device?

A 3D printer has been on my list for a long time (just like a CNC) but I need to finish my lawnmower bot first. Ones this one is running OK I should have some free time :lol:
Best regards
Jantje
jantje

Postby WalterMo » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:43 pm

No no Jantje, the linear guide wasn't built by myself. I had auctioned it on eBay. :D
These guides are normally rather expensive. You can find them at about 800-1000€.

My part was to mount it on a flat milled aluminium plate, attach the end switches, mount a clutch and connect a stepper motor.
The 2µm resolution (not accuracy) is a theoretical value. I have never measured it. The 3mm pitch was divided by 200 (1.8° motor) and then by 8 (1/8 micro step).
The absolute positioning will be made by the same way as of the swiveled laser at a motor with a gear. Simply by counting the steps.

To the 3D printer: Up to now I don't know how I will control it. There are 3 possibilities:
1. To buy a kit from Junior Veloso.
2. To do it as it is suggested by the guy called himself 'Printer'.
3. To find someone who likes to program a suitable code which cuts the 3D object into slices, feeds the video projector with these data and sends a signal to an Arduino to control „my“ electronics and mechanics.

Regarding your robot lawnmower: You should set yourself a time ultimatum: Finished at the end of this year or never! :wink:

Walter

Edit (May 15th, 2012): 4. To wait until the 3D printer B9C is an open source:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/b9c ... 3d-printer
WalterMo

Next

Return to 3D Printing