Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

DAVID 5 Beta

Discussions about latest DAVID developments, beta versions...

Re: DAVID 5 Beta

Postby Curiousjeff » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:41 am

Hi Sven,

I made a presentation yesterday to Doctors at my local hospital using David 4.

They were impressed and asked me about the new dual camera mode.

I started testing this morning without success.

1) The scan is only the partial result of camera A. No scan from camera B

2) Bug: I am able to calibrate both cameras at the same time, but as soon as I shut one camera off (in David5, not touching the real camera) and put it back on, the calibration DATA is changed (?). See the images included

Image 1 is original calibration
All other images are after simply turn off and then back on each camera in David

I was trying to scan with both cameras, then with camera A and then B to see if the stereo scan was using both cameras. Because of the bug mentionned above. Once a camera is turned off, it's all lost.

3) The option to save and load the calibration file is gone. This was useful, especially with the above problem.

I am having problem under Windows 10, but I'll keep that for another post.

Jeff
Attachments
Capture1.PNG
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (32.86 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
Capture3.PNG
Capture3.PNG (26.46 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
Panasonic GH4 4K with lens 12-35, Inogeni 4K to USB3 hdmi capture device, projectors: Acer K135/Acer K11/NEC V260X, Canon 60D, macro 60 mm, MagicLantern
Curiousjeff

Postby Curiousjeff » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:42 am

The calibration of both cameras after turning them off and then back on in David 5
Attachments
Capture4.PNG
Panasonic GH4 4K with lens 12-35, Inogeni 4K to USB3 hdmi capture device, projectors: Acer K135/Acer K11/NEC V260X, Canon 60D, macro 60 mm, MagicLantern
Curiousjeff

Postby Curiousjeff » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:46 am

I did not select "Extended view"

Jeff
Curiousjeff

Postby Sven » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:50 pm

Thanks, Jeff. We have been able to reproduce the problem.
During normal operation where you don't switch cameras after calibration, everything works fine. However of course you are right, it should restore the calibration after switching a camera off and on. We are working on a fix.
Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby Sven » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:55 pm

3) The option to save and load the calibration file is gone. This was useful, especially with the above problem.

That option will come back soon!

I did not select "Extended view"

With 2 cameras but without "Extended view", you have normal Stereo mode. That means you get scan data only where all three optics (camera+projector+camera) can look at the same time. That is LESS than with just one camera. (However in stereo you can use a lower triangulation angle, which compensates that.)
When you switch "Extended view" on and off, you can immediately see the difference in the scan result: When ON, you should see more data at the left and at the right side of your object. That proves that both cameras have been used.

Of course when there is a problem with lost calibration data, you may not get all scan data, or none at all.
Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby Curiousjeff » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:18 pm

Thanks Sven for explaining.

I had not understood at first that stereo was not a question a faster scanning but of higher precision.

I guess "extended view" is the sum of the scans of camera A and camera B ?

For the application at the hospital, since they will be scanning people with texture (faces, hands, etc...) speed is important to avoid movements.

Jeff
Curiousjeff

Postby jixiang » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:10 am

DAVID 5 is very pleased to support the dual camera, I test a bit. Installation of 2 cameras, the success of the calibration did not have a calibration point of view? (no calibration info).So do not know whether the scan time in the end is 1 cameras at work or 2 cameras at work?
Camera settings or DAVID4 interface is better, the resolution can be selected directly. My camera in DAVID5 can not change the resolution, DAVID4 can change the resolution.
jixiang

Postby jixiang » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:17 am

Curiousjeff wrote:The calibration of both cameras after turning them off and then back on in David 5

How to show it?
jixiang

Postby Sven » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:42 am

Curiousjeff wrote:I guess "extended view" is the sum of the scans of camera A and camera B ?

Yes. Actually it creates 2 scans at the same time.

Curiousjeff wrote:For the application at the hospital, since they will be scanning people with texture (faces, hands, etc...) speed is important to avoid movements.

Yes, there "extended view" makes sense.

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby Sven » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:45 am

jixiang wrote:So do not know whether the scan time in the end is 1 cameras at work or 2 cameras at work?

When you activate 2 cameras in DAVID, it will always calibrate both and use both.

jixiang wrote:Camera settings or DAVID4 interface is better, the resolution can be selected directly. My camera in DAVID5 can not change the resolution, DAVID4 can change the resolution.

I'm sorry, that's a bit hard to find: Move your mouse over the small preview image at the right side. There you will find small buttons to change camera format, properties, rotation.

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby Sven » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:47 am

jixiang wrote:How to show it?

Use the blue "i" button right next to the "Calibrate" button.
The calibration detail window has always been more confusing than helpful for most DAVID users. That's why DAVID5 just shows "Calibration successful" in the status bar at the bottom, and does not pop up those "confusing" numbers. If an error occurs during calibration, of course then a message window will pop up.

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby Sven » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:57 am

Sven wrote:

That option will come back soon!

Aaarg... I forgot, it is there already! :oops: At the top right side, you will find buttons to Import and Export the entire Hardware Setup.

It exports / imports a ".davidsetup" file, which is basically XML. It contains not only the calibration of one/two cameras and the projector, but also the names of the selected hardware components, camera format and properties etc - basically everything that defines your setup.

The same kind of .davidsetup file is automatically saved in DAVID's "Settings" subfolder after each successful calibration. And that file is automatically loaded when you restart DAVID. That is why DAVID will always start (and try to reconnect) with the same cameras, projector and calibration which had previously calibrated.

[The next SDK version will be able to import those .davidsetup files, so SDK users can create and calibrate their setup in DAVID5 GUI, export, and then import and use it for scanning via SDK.]

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby Curiousjeff » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:06 am

Ok. Great. I had not looked on that side of the screen.
Curiousjeff

Postby micr0 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:07 am

Sven wrote:Hi Tibor,

Please make a good calibration!
User Manual: http://www.david-3d.com/support/david5/calibration
Tutorial Video: https://vimeo.com/122406220

For me the question is: Why did DAVID4 calibrate with your set-up? Should have given an error message.
- remove the reflective edge from the camera image
- the projector seems to be much too close. You are using only the right half of it's projection
- the calibration corner is not in the middle

Sven

Hi Sven,
I too am having calibration problems. I have tried a number of different setups and after almost an hour I still can't get David 5 to calibrate properly. After each failed setup I have booted David 4 and it has consistently been able to successfully calibrate.

Calib David 5.jpg

Calib David 5 fail.jpg

Calib David 4.jpg
µ
micr0

Postby Sven » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:55 am

Hi Micr0,
Please turn up the camera exposure! The left panel is much too dark. The sine waves are cut off at the bottoms.
(Or rotate the panels so that the projector hits the left side better.)

It may be that DAVID4 was more tolerant to that. But when I look at your DAVID4 screen shot, the left side is also too dark, the sine waves are cut off, and the calibration can't be very good.

Please let us know if that helps.
Sven

Edit: replaced "brightness" by "exposure".
Sven
DAVID Developer

PreviousNext

Return to DAVID Development