Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

DAVID 5 Beta

Discussions about latest DAVID developments, beta versions...

DAVID 5 Beta

Postby Sven » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:26 am

Hi!

We have received lots of requests about DAVID5. Everyone wants to see what new features are coming...

I would like to give you the opportunity of a DAVID5 preview:
http://downloads.david-3d.com/software/ ... _beta5.exe

What's new:
:arrow: Dual camera support
:arrow: Simplified GUI
:arrow: Hardware Setup: Auto-selection of camera and projector
:arrow: Hardware Setup: Camera preview images with exposure evaluation (red blocks)
:arrow: Scanning: Stereo mode and Extended View mode
:arrow: Scanning: Improved precision and speed
:arrow: Scanning: new patented SL patterns for better scanning of reflective surfaces
:arrow: Scanning: Scan Sequences, AutoNextScan: simplified scanning and alignment when using no turntable
:arrow: Alignment: detect Surface Features to help align objects that have large regular surfaces
:arrow: included Measurement and Mesh Comparison features from DAVID4 Enterprise into DAVID 5 Pro
:arrow: tons of restructuring under the hood
:arrow: and a lot more...

But:
The restructured code base means we cleaned up a lot and we have removed some features that are redundant, unimportant, or just used by very few customers while being laborious to maintain. DAVID5 must be easy to use and ready for future developments, so as we say in German, "some old pigtails had to be cut off". I'm sorry if your favorite feature is gone - depending on future developments, some things might come back one day...
- removed Enterprise Edition and Server Mode
- removed Laserscanning
- removed COM interface
- removed 32-bit version

The user manual is still under construction, but you can already see a lot here:
http://www.david-3d.com/support/david5/introduction

So if you are interested, give it a try. Of course if you find any problems, please let me know!

Have fun!
Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Re: DAVID 5 Beta

Postby micr0 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:59 pm

Thank you Sven.

I just Dl the Beta so I can look at the interface and some of the other features but won't be near my shop for a few days to actually scan with it. Does "removed the com interface" mean that we no longer have the communication needed for our external (non David) turntables?
µ
micr0

Postby micr0 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:20 pm

Hi Sven

I'm getting a system error when I try to run David 5 after the install. The dialog says "The program can't start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer" I tried reinstalling and got the same error.
µ
micr0

Postby Sven » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:59 pm

Hi micr0,

Have you installed all Windows Updates on that computer? If not, please do that.
Also please make sure you have installed .NET Framework 4.5.
Only if that doesn't help, please try to install "Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015" e.g. from here: https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/downloa ... x?id=48145
Does that help?

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby WalterMo » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:16 pm

micr0 wrote:Does "removed the com interface" mean that we no longer have the communication needed for our external (non David) turntables?

Yes, at present the COM interface is removed. It's a great pity. We have invested so much work. :? And the DAVID turntable TT-1 can carry only up to 5kg.

Sven, why not to reinstall it again?

Good to see is that V5 also detects two web cams in parallel. Just tested with a Logitech C600 and a Logitech C615. Its parameters can be adjusted independently.

Walter
WalterMo

Postby gkrywusha » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:30 pm

Yes, I can also comment that the COM interface is not part of David 5.

I agree with Walter (with whom I wholeheartedly thank for all his Arduino advice) that the loss of COM is definitely discouraging. Many people in the community worked hard and built fantastic turntables for their scanning. Although David has made one officially available, it really isn't consumer priced (at least to my wallet...LOL).

To be fair, the scanning here has become a bit more automated in alignment as it runs through the process of aligning the ENTIRE scanned sequence. Plus what looks to be the inclusion of dual cameras is a no brainer.

All said, I still would like to use my turntable instead of manual free motion spinning or having to look into a turntable that costs the same as the camera through resellers.

Overall, the program does look like an incredible upgrade to David 4. Nicely done.
gkrywusha

Postby Sven » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:41 pm

Yes, sorry, the COM interface had to be removed for now, when we cleaned up the code base. We have plans for a more sophisticated interface for external devices, but I can't promise anything yet.
The existing new "manual sequence" scanning mode has a "manual turntable" option. It also has an "Auto next scan" option which watches the camera image and starts the next scan as soon as no more motion is detected. Please try that! When you combine that with an external turntable, even without COM connection, it will also save you a lot of clicks and lets you get a 360° scan relatively comfortably.

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby Sven » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:51 pm

Note about the "Manual Scan Sequence" with "Manual Turntable" mode:
DAVID knows in that mode that all scans have been rotated around the same axis.
If your object has large, non-distinct areas, some of the pair-alignments might be wrong. With the additional knowledge "mutual rotation axis", DAVID will detect those wrong alignments AFTERWARDS and correct them. Like that, alignment will be nearly as robust as it is with our official turntable.

The mode "Horizontal Turns" is quite similar. There the rotation axis direction is constant (but not the rotation axis position). This is what you can use when you scan an object that has a flat bottom and rotate it on a flat table between scans.

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby micr0 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:14 am

Sven wrote:Hi micr0,

Have you installed all Windows Updates on that computer? If not, please do that.
Also please make sure you have installed .NET Framework 4.5.
Only if that doesn't help, please try to install "Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015" e.g. from here: https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/downloa ... x?id=48145
Does that help?

Sven

Thanks Sven. That seemed to do it. I updated the redistributable and .net framework to 4.6.1 and David now works. I won't be near my camera and projector for a while but After going the interface I can see what you did and how more efficient it is. I cant wait to take it for a spin and see how it handles.
µ
micr0

Postby Sven » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:09 am

Thanks micr0.
It seems the .NET Framework 4.6 is required, although DAVID5 _should_ only need .NET 4.5. I'll look into it.

The Visual C++ Redistributable SHOULD NOT be required. The relevant DLLs are included in the DAVID5 setup, and I have a test system without those Redistributables where DAVID5 works.

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby Curiousjeff » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:00 pm

Hi Sven,

You wrote back in 2015:

"You cannot use "Video Grabber" for Structured Light. It is only for LASER scanning."

http://forum.david-3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6026&p=29231&hilit#p29231

Since David 5 does not support laser anymore, why is the "video grabber" still available ?

Jeff
Panasonic GH4 4K with lens 12-35, Inogeni 4K to USB3 hdmi capture device, projectors: Acer K135/Acer K11/NEC V260X, Canon 60D, macro 60 mm, MagicLantern
Curiousjeff

Postby Curiousjeff » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:07 pm

Concerning the removal of the COM port interface, I guess most of the automation with a Walter-turntable could be obtained using a macro/scripting software like AutoIt.

It's not as convenient as the COM port but better then nothing.

On the positive side, this would allow to use David's file format instead of OBJ in the "save" step of Walter's script.
David's file format is INCREDIBLY fast. 10x better then OBJ.

Jeff
P.S. Thanks again Walter for everything you generously contributed to the community.
Panasonic GH4 4K with lens 12-35, Inogeni 4K to USB3 hdmi capture device, projectors: Acer K135/Acer K11/NEC V260X, Canon 60D, macro 60 mm, MagicLantern
Curiousjeff

Postby Curiousjeff » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:56 pm

First try:

I made a quick comparison between David 4 and David 5.

This is only for the scan. This does not concern alignment or fusion.

The item being scanned is a white opaque plastic bottle.

Projector: Acer K132
Camera: Panasonic GH4 through HDMI in FullHd
Horizontal setup

Speed: Nearly identical (9 seconds for 22 patterns under David 4, same speed under David 5 with 21 patterns).

David 5
Yellow: 31 patterns
Green: 21 patterns

David 4
Purple: 22 patterns

Unfortunately, I don't see a improvement for the moment.

I was very much looking forward to an algorithm that would remove the line artifacts and improve the surface finish without simply smothing.

Sven, can you give us an exemple where David 5 really shines compared to David 4 ? Or did I miss something ?

CORRECTION: By adjustement the camera frequency, I was able to get an identical result between 4 and 5.

Jeff
Attachments
2016-07-10_16-45-41.png
2016-07-10_16-50-12.png
Curiousjeff

Postby Curiousjeff » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:37 pm

David 5

Fusion 1000

After a little more testing, David 5 is as good as 4 as far as I can see.

I did not see any of the many "feature wish list" requested by users, like:

Lasso selection
Photoshop type eraser
"Undo" for the delete feature
Add to selection (Ctrl + selection tool)
Select the color to assign to a scan
ISOLATION function
etc...

And also "double contact pair selection" would be a great help when all other allignment methods fail.

Jeff
Attachments
2016-07-10_18-24-18.png
Curiousjeff

Postby Curiousjeff » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:45 pm

How does

"High dynamic range" work in David 5 ?

Jeff
Curiousjeff

Next

Return to DAVID Development