Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Video Grabber for SLS (Canon EOS Offline Movie)

Discussions about latest DAVID developments, beta versions...

Video Grabber for SLS (Canon EOS Offline Movie)

Postby mr_cg » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:10 pm

I would like to have support for loading full-HD (1920x1080) captured movies from Canon EOS into video grabber.

* Capturing video is much more gentle to the cam lifetime compared to image grabber (no mirror movement).
* Offline video has much higher resolution (EOS 600d e.g. 1920x1080 compared to 1056x704 in live view)
* video capturing process would be much faster than image/picture
* more mobility/flexibility with video ... playback of patterns with mediaplayer from projector without the need of PC/laptop

Would be really very beneficial to have Canon EOS movie support for video grabber.
DAVID4 Pro v4.3.6 (64bit) - david-cam-3.1-m - IDS UEYE UI-1540-M - Canon EOS 600d (Canon Lens: EF-S 18-135 IS) - Acer K135i Projector + 37mm Close-Up Lens
mr_cg

Re: Video Grabber for SLS (Canon EOS Offline Movie)

Postby NARMELLA » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:02 pm

mr_cg wrote:...
* Capturing video is much more gentle to the cam lifetime compared to image grabber (no mirror movement).
* Offline video has much higher resolution (EOS 600d e.g. 1920x1080 compared to 1056x704 in live view)

Yes ; I agree :D

* video capturing process would be much faster than image/picture

No I don't think so :
CMOS sensors almost all use a rolling shutter and canon eos cameras use rolling shutter.
Until now , it is not possible to record videos directly to the computer via EDSDK ; We have to save it to the camera's memory and then move it to the computer;
And then it needs to extract the information of projected patterns from video file only for a sequence of scanning and by using a rolling shutter ; it is a bit difficult it needs more control on as david has them in advanced setting .

NARMELLA
Data projector : NEC VE 281
Camera(s) : Canon eos 600D (3x)
Software : Lets scan 2.5 + David laser scanner 3.9
گشتاور صنعت تبریز
NARMELLA

Postby Curiousjeff » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:56 pm

What about capturing the full-hd live stream of the Canon DSLR from the HDMI port with the backmagic intensity 4K (with directshow)

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensitypro4k

or the Intensity USB3 (full hd)

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity

Direct to David without compression or saving to card and allows fine adjustments with magiclantern (shutter,ISO, fps).

?
Panasonic GH4 4K with lens 12-35, Inogeni 4K to USB3 hdmi capture device, projectors: Acer K135/Acer K11/NEC V260X, Canon 60D, macro 60 mm, MagicLantern
Curiousjeff

Postby mr_cg » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:36 pm

Curiousjeff wrote:What about capturing the full-hd live stream of the Canon DSLR from the HDMI port with the backmagic intensity 4K (with directshow)

Direct to David without compression or saving to card and allows fine adjustments with magiclantern (shutter,ISO, fps).

?

I already thought about this.
But it's more expensive and the Canon HDMI output (3:2 => 1620x1080) is also not full-HD (16:9 => 1920x1080).
I personally think that it should be possible to get the full video resolution with less money trasferred to the PC.
Anyhow the HDMI to PC solution looks also promissing.

NARMELLA wrote:Until now , it is not possible to record videos directly to the computer via EDSDK ; We have to save it to the camera's memory and then move it to the computer;

For automation i see two options:

1. I am using Eye-Fi SD card with my EOS 600d to transfer the captured data wireless to my PC.
Transfer is done fully automated. After view seconds you have the captured data in predefined folder.
Canon EOS 600d is fully supporting Eye-Fi SD cards ... DSLR detects the WiFi-SD and you can activate/deactivate the WiFi from the Canon EOS 600d menu.
Price is something like 20€, depends on the storage. But 8GB should be enough.

2. With AUTOHOTKEY you can easily automate processing of the windows applications (David, EOS Utility, File-Explorer, Windows CMD commands, etc....). By scripting Autohotkey you can write makro to automate the whole processing. I have done this already with other windows application and it's working perfectly. I think it should be possible to automate the full scanning process. It's for sure very time consuming but it should work.

Still hoping to get video grabber support for SLS. :D
Based on your replies i see that it's interesting also for other people.
DAVID4 Pro v4.3.6 (64bit) - david-cam-3.1-m - IDS UEYE UI-1540-M - Canon EOS 600d (Canon Lens: EF-S 18-135 IS) - Acer K135i Projector + 37mm Close-Up Lens
mr_cg

Postby Curiousjeff » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:02 pm

I thought I read somewhere on the forum that video grabber would work as long as each frame of the video was a single image of one projected pattern.

If this is correct, it's not too hard to obtain such a video file

1) With Magiclantern and the timelapse function

or

2) An Avisynth script (I can find the script, I used a similar script to directly film a series of 8mm films and to obtain one image for one frame).

To check that this is true, I will take a series of Letscan images and turn them into a video.

But I cannot do it right away.

Jeff
P.S. I saw an hour ago a Blackmagic 4k card on sale near me for less then $ 80.-
I am awaiting the seller's answer
Panasonic GH4 4K with lens 12-35, Inogeni 4K to USB3 hdmi capture device, projectors: Acer K135/Acer K11/NEC V260X, Canon 60D, macro 60 mm, MagicLantern
Curiousjeff

Postby Curiousjeff » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:35 pm

I found a small program to convert JPEGs to AVI

"Makeavi"

It worked fine and the video loaded without problem into DLS.

Unfortunately, I don't have a valid calibration image set right now and my scanner is not setup.

I will test tomorrow.

P.S. Just got confirmation. I will have the Blackmagic tomorrow. :)
Curiousjeff

Postby Curiousjeff » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:43 pm

Found something to test.

Does not work :?

No video grabber for structured light.....
Curiousjeff

Postby NARMELLA » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:27 am

Curiousjeff wrote:...

No video grabber for structured light.....

Yes DLS does not support video for sls ; It needs to extract images of projected patterns by using a small utility .
Converting video to pictures to use by image grabber.

It is possible but for now i prefer to use image grabber directly.

Good luck
NARMELLA
گشتاور صنعت تبریز
NARMELLA

Postby NARMELLA » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:00 pm

Curiousjeff wrote:What about capturing the full-hd live stream of the Canon DSLR from the HDMI port with the backmagic intensity 4K (with directshow)

?

Hi Jeff

Great idea !!!

David does not support it too ; David needs to grab the projection only when it needs.
I will study about it to use it in lets scan ,thank you. :D

NARMELLA
گشتاور صنعت تبریز
NARMELLA

Postby mr_cg » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:13 pm

NARMELLA wrote:Yes DLS does not support video for sls ;

That's the reason why i am asking to add this feature in later versions. :mrgreen:

As david can handle live video stream - even with variable fps - there should be a way to load offline movie to video grabber.
I am quite sure that this should be possible. This functionality would really bring a lot of benefit for mobile SLS.

BTW ... to generate video with the scan pattern can be done very easy with Microsoft Movie Maker.
Just drag and drop the images and define time for image change.
mr_cg

Postby Curiousjeff » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:31 pm

Six hours of nightmare, but it now works:

David 4
Blackmagic Intensity 4K (hdmi acquisition card with Directshow).
Canon 60D with Magiclantern (to remove screen overlay information, does not work without it).
Acer K135 (1280 X 800).

Actual Canon captured resolution feed directly into David: 1620x1080 (two black bars on each side, cannot be avoided)

Total scan time: 9 seconds
Number of patterns: 22 (horizontal only)

I still need to find the best combination:

Which projector (Acer K135, Acer K11 or NEC V260X )
Best projector resolution and frequency (?)
Best FPS and shutter speed for the Canon through Magiclantern

But is is very FAST !

Jeff
Attachments
2015-09-13_22-19-30.png
2015-09-13_22-19-57.png
2015-09-13_22-20-56.png
Curiousjeff

Postby Curiousjeff » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:09 am

It's a shame, but the output of the HDMI port of the canon 60D is "interlaced" when using a direct stream. Nothing can be done on the Canon side about this.

Maybe the directshow output can be "deinterlaced" before arriving to DLS by software ?

Or maybe DSL could process an "interlaced" signal ?, but this will not be high on David's priority list.

------------------

I will try another "trick".

Record the scan in video in fullhd on the SD
Play the video on the camera using the HDMI port (this time, the signal will be "progressive")
Capture the signal with the Blackmagic & directshow and "trick" DSL to think that it is a live scan.....

Jeff
Curiousjeff

Postby Curiousjeff » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:16 pm

It's really a shame.

The "interlace" signal is a problem. It's even more obvious in vertical setup.

Except that, the quality and speed is great.
Attachments
2015-09-14_22-13-06.png
Curiousjeff

Postby Curiousjeff » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:15 am

If the directshow could be deinterlaced before arriving to DLS, that would solve the problem.

Anyone have a way of doing this?

I think it could be done with FFMPEG but I don't know how to set the output to "Directshow"

The work flow would be:

Canon DSLR live hdmi output (interlaced) - >
Blackmagic Intensity pro HDMI capture card - >
Directshow A input - deinterlace filter Directshow A1 output (FFMPEG or other application)
Directshow A1 input directly into David

Not sure if the last part would work? I had a lot of trouble getting the hdmi image from Blackmagic into David.

Jeff
Curiousjeff

Postby Curiousjeff » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:06 pm

I was able to borrow a Nilkon D5200.

This camera can output a 1920 x 1080 (1080p29.97) progressive signal from it's HDMI port.

This is what is called a "clean" HDMI signal, without all the on screen information (shutter speed, aperture, etc).

Beware, most cameras do not have a "clean" HDMI output.

The signal is captured by Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K HDMI capture card

It is "read" by David as a regular webcam (no image grabber).

Horizontal setup
29 patterns
Scan time: 15 seconds (from start to finish)

I dont' have a good lens for this camera but the results I think are very good. Very little artifacts, no lines and smooth background

Results below

Anyone want to lend me their 4K studio camera ? :)

Jeff
Attachments
2015-09-20_21-50-10.png
2015-09-20_21-50-52.png
2015-09-20_21-51-00.png
Curiousjeff

Next

Return to DAVID Development