Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Video Grabber for SLS (Canon EOS Offline Movie)

Discussions about latest DAVID developments, beta versions...

Re: Video Grabber for SLS (Canon EOS Offline Movie)

Postby Curiousjeff » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:18 pm

Part of a liquid soap bottle

Very smooth :)
Attachments
2015-09-20_22-17-27.png
Panasonic GH4 4K with lens 12-35, Inogeni 4K to USB3 hdmi capture device, projectors: Acer K135/Acer K11/NEC V260X, Canon 60D, macro 60 mm, MagicLantern
Curiousjeff

Postby Curiousjeff » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:24 pm

Top of milk bottle

Everything is scanned with 60 mm positive calibration panel
Attachments
2015-09-20_22-23-30.png
Panasonic GH4 4K with lens 12-35, Inogeni 4K to USB3 hdmi capture device, projectors: Acer K135/Acer K11/NEC V260X, Canon 60D, macro 60 mm, MagicLantern
Curiousjeff

Postby Curiousjeff » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:39 pm

I am still looking for a way to deinterlace the signal from the Canon camera, but I am afraid that this is beyond my reach.

I found some virtual webcam software, but none had a deinterlace filter.

David team, would you have the time to implement a deinterlace feature for the camera at the grab time ? :mrgreen:
Curiousjeff

Postby Curiousjeff » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:45 am

To get back to the original subject of this post, I recorded a video (1920 x 1080 progressive) of a scan on the camera card (Nikon D5200).

I then played it from the camera and captured the scan through the HDMI capture card.

I check the images in "SL-Testsequence" folder. Everything ok., but the result was very bad. See images with gorilla with stripes.

I also tried to play the video on the PC using a virtual webcam. I could grab the video in David but the result was even worse.

David does some kind of "magic" with the live stream.

I have added another image for comparaison (with matchbox). This is grabed live from the Nikon with the HDMI capture card. I think this is excellent.

I wish the Nikon was mine :roll:

Jeff
Attachments
2015-09-22_08-05-08.png
2015-09-22_08-29-38.png
Curiousjeff

Postby m0delista » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:54 am

Impressive Jeff ! please show more !! :shock:
m0delista

Postby Curiousjeff » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:50 pm

Thanks m0delista.

I don't have the Nikon anymore.

My point was to try to find how good a scan we can obtain with David and what are the different

projector - camera combinations
Setup configuration (live capture / image grabber / hdmi capture card)
David settings (# of patterns, etc...)

that give the best repeatable results and if possible fast.

For the moment, the HDMI capture card and the Nikon is the best I have obtained ( with under 15 seconds per scan)

The HDMI capture card with the Canon is good but has some horizontal lines artifacts, due I suppose to the HDMI interlace signal of the camera (?).

The Canon live view with Magiclantern is good but with less resolution.

For the moment, I have not been successful with the original Logitech Webcam Pro 9000.

I have had limited success with Lets-scan / Image grabber. Quality is high but I have surface artifacts.

Narmella does not have these, so I guess it's a problem of my projector or settings on my side ( I have not had the time to test much the two projectors I got on Ebay).

I have not tested an industrial camera.

David can provide fantastic results but it can be a long road to get there.

With upcoming 4k cameras and projectors, things can only get even better.

Jeff
Curiousjeff

Postby Numeriques » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:07 am

Curiousjeff wrote:I am still looking for a way to deinterlace the signal from the Canon camera, but I am afraid that this is beyond my reach.

I found some virtual webcam software, but none had a deinterlace filter.

David team, would you have the time to implement a deinterlace feature for the camera at the grab time ? :mrgreen:

Hi,

You can test this workflow :

blackmagic -> capture in VLC -> deinterlace in VLC 60i to 30p -> output VLC to magic camera webcam -> David laserscanner in 30p

vlc.jpg
How to deinterlace the Vlc output.

I don't own black magic intensity to test with my Canon 5D2, but I tested the last part with magic camera webcam, you can download this virtual webcam and the plugin for VLC here :
http://vlc2vcam.com/download.html. You can test it for free with a wartermark. If you success in, let me know I think and hope it's the solution for 30$ to all canon liveviews with magiclantern :mrgreen: !

David
Numeriques

Postby drndadoo » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:15 pm

Scans are really good, but so much work seems like an "overkill" to me. How much time you need for 1 scan and how much time is needed to make a watertight object (let's consider some simple object) with this technique?
drndadoo
DAVID Support

Postby Curiousjeff » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:49 pm

To David

Thank you. I will give it a try.

To drndanoo:

I disagree.

The setup with the Blackmagic is very fast. From the moment I push the scan button in DSL up to the moment the scan is ready to go to fusion : 11 seconds!

No setup necessary. David sees the Blackmagic as a webcam.

This is with this Nikon D5200 at 30 fps. The new Nikon's can go up to 60 fps (D5300,D5500).

I have not found another combination that is that fast, high quality and good cost to quality ratio ( full hd signal with a APC size sensor)

Also, this is ready for 4k cameras which will drop very quickly in price in the next year or two.

Granted, the solution to deinterlace Canon's cameras might not be as efficient. I will see.

Jeff
Curiousjeff

Postby micr0 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:43 pm

Jeff,

Definitely let us know what you see when you try the de-interlaced scans.

µ
µ
micr0

Postby Curiousjeff » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:59 pm

David,

When you say "CAPTURE in VLC", do you mean record the signal to the hard disk or is this just an internal VLC capture ?

Is the workflow:

Blackmagic -> capture in VLC -> deinterlace in VLC 60i to 30p -> output VLC to magic camera webcam -> David laserscanner in 30p

A live / direct workflow ?

Thanks,
Jeff
Curiousjeff

Postby Numeriques » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:01 am

Hi Jeff,

No recording on disk, it's fast, it's just directshow link by this way :

vlc2.jpg
How to open a directshow media in Vlc

Hope this helps.
David
Numeriques

Postby Curiousjeff » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:08 am

Thanks David. That part now works.

The option for Magic Camera is not showing in VLC for the output.

Magic camera is correctly installed and the extra plug-in is also in the correct directory.???

I'll work on it this evening.
Curiousjeff

Postby Numeriques » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:54 am

I think you forget to make the step 2 in home page of vlc2vcam http://vlc2vcam.com/ :

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Step2.Download and install our customized MagicCamera VLC version.

The above version of MagicCamera is 8.5.

Alternatively, you can also download the latest version of MagicCamera from their official website and copy this dll to MagicCamera installation directory. Then run the following command with Administrator account:

regsvr32 vlccam.dll
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

David
Numeriques

Previous

Return to DAVID Development