Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Auto Save and other suggestions

Discussions about latest DAVID developments, beta versions...

Auto Save and other suggestions

Postby Christian_Mendez » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:48 am

Hello Developers and Forum,

I have been working on a project lately consisting of 226 single scans. There are a few thoughts that came in my mind while I working on this project.

Auto Save
An Auto Save function could be helpful to secure work progress (especially on huge projects). My exact thoughts were in particular that DAVID saves the scan after
a "Pairwise Fine Registration" perhaps? I noticed I have been doing this out of fear my computer would freeze up or crash (which it occasionally did) and thus lose work
progress. Of course I can do this manually every time after a "Pairwise Fine Registration" action, but anything that can be automatically done is a great and welcome thing.
If we could turn on/off an "Auto Save" function via Advanced Settings - that would be great!

Custom Mesh Colors
DAVID assigns the color to each individual scan automatically. Sometimes the colors of the scans don´t have enough contrast (too similar color)or have too much contrast (hurts the eye). The option of a manual color assignment could help. The possibility of just moving the mesh up or down the list does change the color but it also tends to get confusing at a point (especially if you are trying to manage a huge amount of individual meshes)

Group Rename
I think I have read this a while ago, but I´ll mention it since it is important for a clean workflow. I think a lot of us organize individual scans into groups. Even though I try to
manage everything a good as I can, I end up guessing which group is what. So this would be a very welcome option indeed.

thanks,chris
www.greyscale3di.com "if it ain´t movin´, we can scan it!"
Christian_Mendez

Re: Auto Save and other suggestions

Postby Jokeri » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:27 pm

Hello Christian_Mendez

out of curiosity, with that many scans, what sort of computer do you have?

Regards,
TT
Jokeri

Re: Auto Save and other suggestions

Postby Christian_Mendez » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:35 pm

Hello Jokeri,

I have a Lenovo W520 Laptop.

CPU i7 2670QM @ 2.20GHz Quadcore
GPU NVIDIA
Christian_Mendez

GPU Acceleration / my hardware

Postby Christian_Mendez » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:59 pm

GPU Acceleration
I don´t know if this is the case already with DAVID 3 or 4 so please ignore this one if this is already a feature. Some programs can utilize the processing power of the GPU
unit such as Photoshop. If DAVID could use the the GPU for processing in Shapefusion or Registration process to reduce computing times that would be really impressive.

@Jokeri

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad W520 Laptop.

CPU : i7 2670QM @ 2.20GHz Quadcore
GPU : NVIDIA Quadro 1000m
RAM : 16 GB

Individual Scans were scanned with 1.3MP each around 90mb (or less) per scan. I only load the scans I´m working on to keep the load as low as possible on my hardware.
I don´t think that my laptop can handle everything at once. I´ve been working on this project since christmas and progress is really slow and I´m still not done yet.
Christian_Mendez

Re: GPU Acceleration / my hardware

Postby Jokeri » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:34 am

Christian_Mendez wrote:GPU Acceleration
I don´t know if this is the case already with DAVID 3 or 4 so please ignore this one if this is already a feature. Some programs can utilize the processing power of the GPU
unit such as Photoshop. If DAVID could use the the GPU for processing in Shapefusion or Registration process to reduce computing times that would be really impressive.

@Jokeri

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad W520 Laptop.

CPU : i7 2670QM @ 2.20GHz Quadcore
GPU : NVIDIA Quadro 1000m
RAM : 16 GB

Individual Scans were scanned with 1.3MP each around 90mb (or less) per scan. I only load the scans I´m working on to keep the load as low as possible on my hardware.
I don´t think that my laptop can handle everything at once. I´ve been working on this project since christmas and progress is really slow and I´m still not done yet.

That is the info I was looking for.
I'm able to load around 60 scan after that david crashes and that is because my GPU memory gets full..

Computer specs:

CPU: i3570k @ 4,65GHz at full throttle
GPU: nvidia 760 2Gb memory
RAM: 24Gb
Jokeri

my other hardware

Postby Christian_Mendez » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:46 am

Hello Jokeri,

I checked on my "bigger" machine and loaded 180 individual scans. No problem...no crashes.

CPU: Xeon E3 1220 v3 @ 3.10GHz Quadcore
GPU: NVIDIA Quadro K2000
RAM: 24GB

It was possible to turn all of the 180 meshes around in the viewport but the fps was probably down to 1 or 2
fps. 22.2GB from 24GB has been used up.
Christian_Mendez

Return to DAVID Development