Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

DAVID 4?

Discussions about latest DAVID developments, beta versions...

Re: DAVID 4?

Postby micr0 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:05 am

It seem manual align isn't working. I hold the control key while right or left clicking but I get no movement at all of the selected scan. The "globe" appears but the scans don't move. Anyone else have this problem?

µ
µ
micr0

Postby JDM Dyno » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:15 pm

it looks like shift key now works like ctrl-key
Camera's: 2 x DFK 42BUC03 Duel Camera,
c615 modified with Computar megapixel lens
lenses: 2 x Pentax 12mm, 2 x Computar 8mm
Optoma ML300 Projector
Turntable

www.jdm-dyno.co.uk
JDM Dyno

Postby Anti » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:13 pm

As for the moment I don't have the chance to try David 4 ... could someone tell me if DAVID 4 includes DAVID SDK? If not, does anybody know when it will be released?
Anti

Postby pottersfriend » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:54 pm

Not that I have the knowledge to use the SDK or anything, but from what the US reseller (growshapes) is showing, the SDK is expensive. They're listing it at $2600 USD!
pottersfriend

Postby Anti » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:43 pm

WTF? Why? Perhaps there may be a cheper prize for non-commercial users?!
Anti

Postby micr0 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:57 pm

Anti wrote:WTF? Why? Perhaps there may be a cheper prize for non-commercial users?!

My understanding of SDK is that it is designed to be integrated into 3rd party development or for larger corporate deployment (such as in quality control). It's more a way of using the David 3D scanning engine than it is specifically a scanning app.

µ
µ
micr0

Postby Anti » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:31 pm

That's really a pity as the command line support seems to be no longer available since David 2.X. Thus, for us usual users it's not possible to implement own routines (e. g. automatic alignment of all scans after scanning procedure).
Anti

Postby MagWeb » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:44 pm

Hi Anti,

I understand your special need to automize your workflow.
(This is nothing special about DAVID4, but may be of some help)
My very first attempts to automize DAVID used a simple trick: I ran an external script that performed virtual mouse clicks.
Means there are softwares to record a sequence of user interactions as clicks (and the screens coordinates where you clicked) as well as keyboard input to a "macro" script.
Running that script performs the same action as if you do the same thing again as long as the screen is the same ( as running DAVID's window maximized).
This way you can automize anything you can do in DAVID.

Long time passed since I did such stuff...
Further info e.g.:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macro_recorder
or:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_macro_recorder_software
MagWeb

Postby Anti » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:15 pm

Hi MagWeb,

a great idea. I'll give it a chance. But for sure ... an api would be more helpful. Does anybody know why David retired the command line support?

Best
Anti
Anti

Postby milz » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:49 pm

macros -) welcome to 21th century -) grinz
Xeon x5650@4ghz
Cam : USB2 CCD 1024x768 / USB3 1280x900
Laser : LC532-5-3-F(16x65) Focusable Green
Projector Acer X110P / Acer K132
dControl one David control box + Turntable + automatic texture lights
mooooom bathroom!!!!!!
milz

Postby Anti » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:00 pm

@milz: "Like"

Ok - it seems to work with a macro recorder. Now I just have to find such a recorder that can be controlled via a command line *D'oh!*
Anti

Postby fred_dot_u » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:31 pm

I've had a bit of experience in the distant past with macro playback software. The attractive one in the list is the mouse recorder http://www.mouserecorder.com/docs/09/manual.htm due to the free aspect and the many features that are supported. I'm currently (rarely) using a paid program that works in a similar manner. I have to type an address, so I use a hotkey prefix (..) followed by any code word I desire to properly represent it. Mouse Recorder works in concert with another free program Phrase Express, referenced in the manual link above, to allow text activated macro recordings to play back. I feel it is a bit of a work-around, but not so complex as to invalidate the concept.
fred_dot_u

Postby MagWeb » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:19 pm

@Anti

Agree, an API or maybe an internal macro recorder would be more helpful.
Seems only very few user used (or were able to use) the CommandFileInterpreter. Seems nobody but me missed it till now. DAVID3 came with a new software architecture and development dropped not that popular features (also laserscannig using mirrors). Scripting the align process often ends in false results. Sure, it is useful if your task is to scan several objects of the same kind. But different objects' needs force different ways to align. If I have to scan a shoe now and a fly tomorrow scripting does not make much sense.

Just some personal notes about Shapefusion:
Since its beginning, aligning is the most time consuming part in DAVID's workflow. IMO it's the most important part to improve - maybe the algorithms improved but Shapefusion's functionality stayed at its state for a while. There are tons of wishes I'd like to see implemented in this part (starting at improved selection tools (as e.g. a real 3D selection brush (not hitting through all stuff behind), transferring selections to a "neighbor" scan, adding/subtracting selection), splitting scans into two parts (without duplicating and erasing the opposite part), using areas of interest or topology characteristics (as outer edges instead of the overall mesh), aligning to "negative" surfaces, non ridged correction, shrinking outer boundaries only, "glued in current position" option of scans, move to a ground plane or move center of mass to origin, plane cuts AND and AND...). Some things I mentioned might be not that trivial but it is a hassle to export all partial scans to a third party app to do trivial operations and import them back to david to do the final fusion.

Applications built on the DAVID SDK need to run DAVID as a server (while this server-DAVID has to have an Enterprise license - otherwise you can't run DAVID in server mode).

Never got some announcement of any release of DAVID4. Maybe the download linked above is still a beta ? I don't know. Anyone out there knowing more?

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby MagWeb » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:26 pm

@ milz

if there's nothing else I can do but switching a century back (wish I could totally) , I'll do it... Still an option
MagWeb

Postby milz » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:34 am

fullack neeed!!! -)
MagWeb wrote:Just some personal notes about Shapefusion:
Since its beginning, aligning is the most time consuming part in DAVID's workflow. IMO it's the most important part to improve - maybe the algorithms improved but Shapefusion's functionality stayed at its state for a while. There are tons of wishes I'd like to see implemented in this part (starting at improved selection tools (as e.g. a real 3D selection brush (not hitting through all stuff behind), transferring selections to a "neighbor" scan, adding/subtracting selection), splitting scans into two parts (without duplicating and erasing the opposite part), using areas of interest or topology characteristics (as outer edges instead of the overall mesh), aligning to "negative" surfaces, non ridged correction, shrinking outer boundaries only, "glued in current position" option of scans, move to a ground plane or move center of mass to origin, plane cuts AND and AND...). Some things I mentioned might be not that trivial but it is a hassle to export all partial scans to a third party app to do trivial operations and import them back to david to do the final fusion.
Gunter
Xeon x5650@4ghz
Cam : USB2 CCD 1024x768 / USB3 1280x900
Laser : LC532-5-3-F(16x65) Focusable Green
Projector Acer X110P / Acer K132
dControl one David control box + Turntable + automatic texture lights
mooooom bathroom!!!!!!
milz

PreviousNext

Return to DAVID Development