Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

DAVID 3.9.0 beta2: One-Click Scan+Align

Discussions about latest DAVID developments, beta versions...

Re: DAVID 3.9.0 beta2: One-Click Scan+Align

Postby Sven » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:27 am

reachyours wrote:one-click Scan+Align is awesome. but there is one problem in free align. if the item we scan is smooth and simple, DAVID can not Align correctly in free mode, we can use turntable and Align in Y mode with turning degree. is it possible DAVID add one option which we can choose Align in degree as autoAlign? the other one is if DAVID can add one mode of aligning Y with degree. it means when we use turntable, we can program the Adurino not only turn in 360 in X direction but also turn some degree in Y direction. Align can fit the movement of turntable.

Sorry, this is not possible for now. If auto-align (with turntable) fails, you will have to align manually with Y-Axis and given angle value.

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby Sven » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:31 am

Hi ShadowTail,

ShadowTail wrote:When you look at the separate scans, there is no dark texture anywhere around the shoes like can be seen on the picture - I have removed that part of the mesh in one of the scans.
However, when I fuse the mesh, it appears that DAVID still takes parts of the texture of that particular scan when it should not do that.

Any way to fix this?
Any way to tell DAVID to ignore the outer parts of the texture (Which are typically dark) ?

Is this a new problem? Older versions should behave the same.?
DAVID can use texture regions where there are no 3D data (e.g. for interpolated data at scan holes).
When you disable "Fill holes" for Fusion, it should not happen...
Best would be to add another scan which has correct data and color for that region.

ShadowTail wrote:Also, is there any way to tell DAVID to use/prefer a grouped collection of scans (so it exists) for auto aligning instead of the last scan?

No, sorry, that's not possible.
There are too many options. This automatism deal with the standard case (align to previous scan), for other cases, the flexible solution is to choose by hand.

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby Sven » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:41 am

Thanks for the files!
The problem is that that region (top side of feet) is really very dark! Look at the texture from scan2, "Scan_02.png". The top side is not illuminated and appears dark. Please add another scan looking diagonally onto the feet.

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby Sven » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:44 am

Bongobat wrote:I quickly tested 3.9.0 beta 2 64 bit on this Darth Vader head. Fusion at 250 no refinement and with close hole checked then did the same on David 2.6.3. The hole is closed in 2.6.3 but not here and I think the same problem happens in 3.8.1. Also I usually do a quick fuse at 300 but that is unselectable in this beta, is that by design? Are these bugs or am I just behind a bit?

Hi Greg,
Thanks for the pictures.
Indeed newer versions of Fusion do not close HUGE holes, only smaller ones. I think that's the problem here. If you could make the holes smaller (add top view scan and bottom view scan), it should be closed.
I think the shape of the scan borders (where the data end) is relevant. The borders should "point to the opposite side"...

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby WalterMo » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:12 pm

I have just made some fusion tests with the 10 turntable scans from here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4291

Only the fusion with a chosen resolution > 1000 closed the big hole below the base plate.

Walter
Attachments
Elefant4X.jpg
The 3 fusions from left to right: Resolution 250, 1000 and 1500
WalterMo

Postby Bongobat » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:11 pm

Walter, Sven,

Thanks for clearing that up. It is not a big problem,but maybe a tolerance variable setting can be added to David's advanced settings in the future? Something like close holes with diameters greater than x or something like that. Poisson at 1000 gives me rough meshes sometimes so that is not always an option.

Greg
DealExtreme red line laser, Microsoft Lifecam HD-5000
Bongobat

Postby Bongobat » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:32 pm

Hi Tibor,

Clearly one or more of your scans is misaligned. Try isolating those scan and aligning it to one that has a lot of similar overlapping points. I haven't seen a problem aligning things normally with 3.9.0 beta2 yet. Did you align those using just One-Click Scan + Align? That will require a very small change of position between scans to work; You want the greatest amount of overlapping points between previous scan and the new one.

Greg
Bongobat

Postby hal » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:52 pm

Hello,
dear Sven, here all installed. never happend this error before. Other older version never did that.
I'm searching to find the error "inside". Maybe is something corrupted here...
Thanks and regards,
Mattia
hal

Postby Bongobat » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:10 pm

Hi Mattia,

Did you try upacking the beta to Program Files (x86) where the installer puts things or is it somewhere else? I have it on my desktop though and it works (Win7 Ultimate).

Greg
Bongobat

Postby ShadowTail » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:17 pm

Sven wrote:Thanks for the files!
The problem is that that region (top side of feet) is really very dark! Look at the texture from scan2, "Scan_02.png". The top side is not illuminated and appears dark. Please add another scan looking diagonally onto the feet.

Sven

Scan_02.png looks okay to me and is what the software should actually use for the texture - David seems to take the texture from Scan_07 for the feet though.
And I did remove the geometry from that scan which should tell David to not use that texture around the feet at all.

Does the order of the scans on the right hand list influence which texture David prefers in any way?
ShadowTail

Postby Sven » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:52 pm

@ShadowTail:

You are right, I did not see that scan 7 also shows the feet.
Scan 2 and 7 are both used for the texture at the top of the feet. Mainly Scan 7 indeed, because the view is more orthogonal to the surface.
But both textures (2 and 7) are very dark there. In texture 7 there is a shadow line which mainly causes the problem. Please replace it with a new scan from similar direction, but without shadow line.

Deleting surface regions will not remove those areas from the texture.

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby hunkatibor2 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:30 pm

Hi Bongobat
I have a set which includes the calibration, camera, laser, stepper motor, a software click 3.9.0beta2, I scanned object.
The second set which includes the calibration, camera, laser, stepper motor, software 3.8.1.377 manual adjustment.
The second set gives a good alignment. Unable to manually set first is well adjusted and not one click.
I want good results. Unfortunately, no one has published the images of slaughter and cleanup logic. Several times I have asked the forum members to help with this, I can not answer.
Tibor
Intel Xeon E5410 2.33GHZ 16GB RAM Windows 7 64bit David 4.5.0
2 Basler A622F camera 2 Tamron Asfirical AF 28-80mm lense
LG DLP Projector PF1500G Canon D40 Tokina 17-70mm 1:2.8-4,5
Humanti Calibration panel system and Alignmed&Two camera
hunkatibor2

Postby hunkatibor2 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:51 am

Hi Sven
I downloaded the terracotta soldiers. Invariably ask why the ripple. I have this big problem.!!!
Tibor
Intel Xeon E5410 2.33GHZ 16GB RAM Windows 7 64bit David 4.5.0
2 Basler A622F camera 2 Tamron Asfirical AF 28-80mm lense
LG DLP Projector PF1500G Canon D40 Tokina 17-70mm 1:2.8-4,5
Humanti Calibration panel system and Alignmed&Two camera
hunkatibor2

Postby Sven » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:05 pm

Hi Tibor,
The ripple effect (waves) can have several possible causes. HARDWARE causes. Please post details about your hardware and a live camera image.
Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby Sven » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:42 pm

@Mattia:
Still have that problem with the new version?
Please take a look here, same or similar problem...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5810&p=27819#p27819
I hope we will be able to solve this...
Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

PreviousNext

Return to DAVID Development