Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

DAVID 3.9.0 beta2: One-Click Scan+Align

Discussions about latest DAVID developments, beta versions...

DAVID 3.9.0 beta2: One-Click Scan+Align

Postby Sven » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:59 pm

Hi,

Please download DAVID 3.9.0 beta2:
http://downloads.david-3d.com/DAVID_3.9 ... _beta2.zip
Edit: Fixed download link

The main improvement since beta1 (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5729) is a simplification in scan procedure:
addtolist.png

Auto. Add to List (SL only): After the scan, the result will be added to the Shapefusion Scanlist immediately. Afterwards, DAVID will return to the Structured Light menu, ready for the next scan. This means you can scan an object all around, and collect the scans, with only one click ("Start") for each view.
This saves you two mouse clicks per scan.

Align to Previous Scan: When a scan is added to the Shapefusion Scanlist, it will be automatically aligned to the previous scan (the last in list) with "Free" mode. If the two scans overlap well, this will probably succeed. In any case, please check the alignment result!
This saves you 3-4 clicks per scan.

Both: If both options are selected, DAVID will immediately send every scan to Shapefusion, align it to the previous scan, and switch back to Structured Light menu, ready for the next scan. Please note that the alignment result can always be wrong or imprecise, depending on the data - don't trust it blindly...

You should not use those options while you are still optimizing your set up or scanning difficult objects. But for routine "mass production", they should be helpful and speed up the process!

Furthermore:
Keyboard Shortcuts: In Shapefusion, you can new use Esc, Alt+1, Alt+2 to toggle/change/disable the tools, Ctrl+Z, Ctrl+Y for Undo/Redo, and Alt+I to invert the selection. As before, you can use "Del" to delete and F12 to make a screenshot.

Improved Fusion: Sharper Fusion results!

And some more small improvements and bugfixes...

Please post your feedback and let us know what you like, what you don't like, and if you find any bugs...

THANK YOU! :D

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Re: DAVID 3.9.0 beta2: One-Click Scan+Align

Postby Alyx » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:10 pm

Hello Sven, unfortunately page does not exist
Acer i7 3610qm GF GT650M 2gb 16gb ram
Alyx

Postby MagWeb » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:46 pm

this seems to be the right link:
(....)

Edit: Meanwhile fixed in Sven's post above - Link removed
MagWeb

Postby MagWeb » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:55 pm

Well done Sven, One-Click Scan+Align works fine here - thanks!

Just an idea:
This would be ideal in combination with a motorized object's motion (turntable).
A COM message sequence for a SL scan with AutoAlign enabled starts with a "S" followed by "N"s and a "T". Finally passing it over to ShapeFusion sends a "Z". But there seems to be nothing that says that DAVID is ready to do the next scan. This missing message "X" has to be sent after the AutoAlignment to tell the controller of the turntable that DAVID is ready to recieve a "S" command just when DAVID switches back to scanning mode. After recieving a "X" message from DAVID and ready with its movement the controller could send a "S" command without some fixed delay. After a certain number (depending on the planned motorized motion) of sent "S"s the contoller could send another "Y" command to make DAVID fall to Shapefusion....

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby Sven » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:32 pm

Thanks Gunter, I have fixed the link. Yours is OK too (same destination).

I don't have the hardware to test here at the moment, but doesn't the COM message ModeSL (default "2") work for your "X" message? I think DAVID should send that when it goes back to SL after alignment. ?

For your "Y" command, I think there is indeed no command.

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby MagWeb » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:26 am

No need for hardware Sven, you wrote TestCOM :wink:

"2" would be OK, sure. But the beta doesn't send it in this AutoAlign mode (maybe for it never switches to another mode - Shapefusion isn't a available via commands or sends a "ModeSF" message).

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby Sven » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:01 am

Hi Gunter,

Yes I have TestCOM, but I have com0com not installed - in Win7-x64 it requires some system security changes which I don't like so I don't have it permanently.

You are right, DAVID does NOT send the ModeSL message. I have fixed that for the next version.

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby MagWeb » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:43 pm

Sven wrote:You are right, DAVID does NOT send the ModeSL message. I have fixed that for the next version.

Sven

Hi Sven,

thanks for looking into and fixing it.
Looking forward

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby kknapp » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:08 am

Excellent addition. However my application requires that scans be combined for correct registration. Aligning the scan to the previous single scan does not work for the majority of my scans unless the previous scans are combined.

Could you add an add and combine feature. Many of the commercial systems combine the scans as successive scans are made and added.

I find the David-3D scan alignment algorithm to be equal to or better than the commercial systems.

Excellent work David-3D Team!

Ken
kknapp

Postby Sven » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:22 am

Hi Ken,

What application do you have? Why do you need to group all previous scans?

I think the standard procedure is scanning around an object. Let's say you make 8 scans around the object.
Then, e.g. scan #6 overlaps with scan #5, but not with all previous scans #1 to #4. It should align very well with #5.
If you make a group #1-#5, scan #6 will not align very well with that group because it overlaps only with a very small percentage of the group data.

Aligning to the group of several or all previous scans is helpful e.g. for scan #9 showing the top side of an object. Just an example.

Always align a new scan only with those that overlap!

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby kknapp » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:47 pm

Sven,

Thank you for the response.

I am using the scanner for a dental application.

I currently make 8 scans around the object at different tilt angles, as necessary.

Arch tooth models are not the problem. Small single prepared tooth die models can be problematic to align. Additional scans, non sequential are needed to capture shadowed regions which need to be aligned.

The method that I have developed which works very well is to capture two main images, top view, combine and then proceed to side view with rotation and align, combine and repeat. I have found that sometimes 2-3 images can be aligned without combining but many of the images will not align properly without combining.

The commercial dental scanners use the smae basic method for aligning succesive scans.

Ken
kknapp

Postby hunkatibor2 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:58 pm

Hi Ken
Get a picture of the problem, I also have trouble fitting in the end, I think I'll get it right.
Tibor
Intel Xeon E5410 2.33GHZ 16GB RAM Windows 7 64bit David 4.5.0
2 Basler A622F camera 2 Tamron Asfirical AF 28-80mm lense
LG DLP Projector PF1500G Canon D40 Tokina 17-70mm 1:2.8-4,5
Humanti Calibration panel system and Alignmed&Two camera
hunkatibor2

Postby kknapp » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:33 pm

Sven,

I have optimized the scan sequence with beta 2. However, for my application I still need to combine scans to align the last few scans.

Dental object shapes are generally different every part, as many variations as there are people. In general 8mm in diameter 3-10 mm in height with sidewalls, parallel to sloping, with tops that are flat to V shape with bottom flare out followed by a sharp undercut.

Process: >Scan at one tilt angle with rotation, 8 images align properly with beta2. Combine scans.
>Change tilt angle and scan top, 2-3 scans, will only align to combined scans above.
>Change tilt angle to scan bottom undercut and other shadowed regions, 2-4 scans, will only align to combined scans.

The Beta 2 really helps out. A combination feature would virtually solve all manual alignments.

This version has crashed 4 times in last three days while in shape fusion aligning and combining scans.

Thank you again.

Ken
kknapp

Postby hunkatibor2 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:23 pm

Hi Sven
In my experience, the picture is always a mismatch error occurs.
Tibor
Attachments
2013-09-10_19-33-59.png
2013-09-10_19-38-46.png
Intel Xeon E5410 2.33GHZ 16GB RAM Windows 7 64bit David 4.5.0
2 Basler A622F camera 2 Tamron Asfirical AF 28-80mm lense
LG DLP Projector PF1500G Canon D40 Tokina 17-70mm 1:2.8-4,5
Humanti Calibration panel system and Alignmed&Two camera
hunkatibor2

Postby Khalid Khattak » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:57 pm

Hi sven,
We have seen Mattia scans. His posted pictures ll scans pixels merge with each other. Despite i am using David USB Mono with SL but my scans are also like the posted picture above. Do you know why?
PC: Dell Inspiron i3, 2.27GHz,4GB RAM,64 bit windows 7
CAMERA:
David CCD Mono USB
LASER:
David 5mW Green line laser
PROJECTOR:
3D LED Mini Projector 250lumens, Native 1024x600
[b]http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/
Khalid Khattak

Next

Return to DAVID Development