Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

DAVID 3.7.0 beta2: 64-bit!

Discussions about latest DAVID developments, beta versions...

Re: DAVID 3.7.0 beta2: 64-bit!

Postby k_thod » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:04 am

Hi All,

In one word, this 3.7 is great !! ..

Hal, do you mean by non linear alignement the capacity to deform a little each scan to get a best matching like a "scan distortion killing machine" ? or am i wrong ?.
Lately i had to use some "Mesh deformation" (MLS) to clean-close a scanned object due to distortion and it would be great if implemented !

PS : Moog from your screenshot it seem that you don't have "Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0" installed...(viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5480)
i had this kind of white UI the first time i launch David without Framework 4.0 installed
550D / Acer K11
k_thod

Postby MagWeb » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:29 pm

There seems to be a problem handling virtual COM port pairs as you get them using comOcom .

If there is a virtual ComPortPair (COM1<>Com2) you might enable DAVIDs communication to read/write to COM1. You might use TestCom 0.9 to open COM2.
Now, if COM2 is already opened when you restart DAVID all works fine.
But if you forgot to open COM2 before starting DAVID, DAVID freezes trying to open COM1....
(Using two instances of TestCom 0.9 on both ports, there is no problem opening a single port with the other still closed)

If you plug in a real serial device (maybe Arduino at COM3) you may enable DAVID to write/read to that port. As soon as this port isn´t available any more (for you unplugged Arduino) DAVID falls back to the next port automatically. If this next port is a part of a virtual pair without running application on the other end DAVID freezes now.
MagWeb

Postby Sven » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Hi Gunter,
Can't test here with com0com... Does DAVID freeze forever or only for a few seconds each time it tries to send a message?
Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby MagWeb » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:57 pm

Hi Sven,

in this case DAVID does not respond any more (maybe forever - but that#s hard to check out :wink: )
Also DebuggerWindow isn´t updated.
You've to kill it via TaskManager.

To prevent it from crashing
- one can deactivate the pair via DeviceManager;
- open the needed port with an different app (as TestCom);
- or edit UserSettings (Disable COM) manually;

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby illustrami.com » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:21 am

Hello Sven

I am moving to Seven 64Bit in a while on this workstation but I am receiving some PC, there will be an extra Laptop with a quadro card I'll keep for myself, in 4-5 days I am going to test it too on 7/64pro.

Unluckily microsoft produces a lot of "new" stuff and seems that will never end to do one toroughly, but who cares, usually the last days of their most succesfully good OS are also the best, endly one isolate the workstation and might keep it as long as it is useful as last "state of the art release build", ( :roll: sigh).

You have great positive feedback from everyone here especially about the new algorithm, everyone who tried told me it is just amazingly great, also everyone is pretty happy about the language translation

Well, I am looking forward to go 64bit with David
The 64 bit should become a truly standing ovation.

I was waiting it .... ehhhmm.. from the beginning... :wink: , you do not imagine how happy I am about this.. maybe you remeber I asked info about it long ago...

The first 64Bit processor was launched by IBM in 1961, after 52 YEARS, we still are looking at the early rising of the 64bit computing for the masses :o
Isn'it incredible compared to the feeling we have on how technolgy is fast developed?

Davide
illustrami.com

Postby MagWeb » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:34 pm

Hi,

anybody able to use ImageGrabber or MovieGrabber in SL? Any hints welcome.

The built in pattern generator requires a streaming cam to be calibrated before a projector calibration sequence is projected (which could be recorded with a still image or movie cam).
Do I always have to run a second cam tograb the right images in the right order?
Also saving the patternsequence (via RMB click on projection) does not save anything (to make a slide show). Switching the patterns manually (via RMB menue) and grabbing these gives another order than the patterns seems to be needed now.
Also my homemade PatternGenerator fails due to the unknown expected order :?

What is the needed order?

thanks
Gunter
MagWeb

Postby Sven » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:30 pm

Hi Gunter,

Sorry, there are two bugs. :oops: :oops:
1. Save Pattern Sequence does not save in the selected folder, but instead into the application folder. So you need write access there.
We have fixed this for the next version.
2. Scanning with ImageGrabber should work, but calibration not. We are working on it. If you want to calibrate with pre-recorded images, please use version 3.5 or older.

It seems nobody has been using the ImageGrabber for some time...

The pattern order: Is the same as before. During LIVE scanning DAVID does project in a different order (mix of CL and PS images, and mixed horizontal/vertical) so it can auto-detect transitions more robustly. But when you use the ImageGrabber, the images must be in the old "well-ordered" order. Like "Save Pattern Sequence" does.

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby MagWeb » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:14 pm

Hi Sven,

thanks for clearing the order. Glad that you kept the "old order" for the ImageGrabber (this way I can use my old version of pattern generator) :D

I did not look into the app directory (only into the selected one)... Confirmed - The patterns are there!

Think, since the 64 bit version can handle bigger meshes, this grabber (with its more complicated workflow) might get more interesting in the future again.

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby MagWeb » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:55 pm

Me again,

checked whether I could simply copy and paste calibresults to the settings directory.
Comparing the files I found while 3.5 and lower ProjectorSetup.xml lists many phase error values, 3.7 fills this only with many zeros.
When I copy a 3.5 ProjectorSetup.xml to 3.7, 3.7 has no problems, but overwrites these phase errors closing it.
Either these values aren´t used any longer or they are forgotten to write into the file.

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby MagWeb » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:10 am

Calibrated ImageGrabber in 3.5 and copied the mentioned files to 3.7
(Noticed that these versions gave slightly different angles of intersection using the same setup with a streaming cam, so to copy/paste these files might result in distortions)
Processing images of 3456x2304 from my EOS gave remarkable details. Scans are pretty big (the scan of my empty corner is at 14,5 millions tris), but DAVID 64bit could handle them (at least a few).

A thing I noticed with the Image- and VideoGrabber:
If one cancels the file picker dialog without selecting any file, the picker can not be opened once again here. One has to go to Hardwarekonfiguration and load something with a different source. After that, one can use the canceled grabber again.

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby ShadowTail » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:02 am

As you can see on the comparison screenshot below there are a few differences in the UI between the 32 and 64 bit versions.

The Selection part (rectangle, polygon, ..) on the x64 version does not work for me as I cannot "activate" it like on the 32 bit version. I can choose what form of selection I want to use but It simply would not let me use it on anything on the x64 version.

david_32_64.jpg

x64 is working just fine for scanning but still has a long way to go when compared to the 32 bit version.
But I am confident that the above mentioned issues will get fixed in time.
ShadowTail

Postby Sven » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:35 pm

MagWeb wrote:Comparing the files I found while 3.5 and lower ProjectorSetup.xml lists many phase error values, 3.7 fills this only with many zeros.

Yes, sorry, that's just temporary. The phase error values will come back in the next version.

A thing I noticed with the Image- and VideoGrabber:
If one cancels the file picker dialog without selecting any file, the picker can not be opened once again here. One has to go to Hardwarekonfiguration and load something with a different source. After that, one can use the canceled grabber again.
Yes, I know. But you don't have to select a different source, you can directly select the same grabber again.
Not ideal, but for now we'll have to keep it that way.

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby Sven » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:37 pm

@ShadowTail:
It seems there are some bugs in Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0, so please install 4.5.
It should solve your problem. Does it?
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby mayrhoferb » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:48 pm

Wow! This update is a totally new scanning experience. I used my VirtuCube Scanner with the new 64bit release an got an amazing scan within minutes :D

I didn' even had to post-process the 3d-model. It work right out of the David-software. Thank you guys :)

Donkey_02.JPG
Scan of a toy donkey

VirtuCube 3D-Scanner:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2pRHFcEtFY
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:52850

The Donkey:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:54803
mayrhoferb

Postby ShadowTail » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:23 am

.net 4.5 does indeed solve the issue.
ShadowTail