Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

DAVID 3.7.0 beta2: 64-bit!

Discussions about latest DAVID developments, beta versions...

DAVID 3.7.0 beta2: 64-bit!

Postby Sven » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:13 pm

-
EDIT 2013-03-13 by Simon:
The final release of DAVID 7.3.0 (including 64-bit) is now online and the beta version is obsolete!

Hello everyone,

Finally we have finished the new beta version, DAVID 3.7.0.3558 beta 2.
The download is larger because... there is an additional exe file "DAVID3_x64.exe" in it... :D
Edit: download removed

Main improvements since 3.7.0 beta:
:arrow: 64-bit version (Edit: not for XP64) (note: Canon EOS supported only in 32-bit version)
:arrow: fixed crashes during alignment
:arrow: speedup also for XP
:arrow: new alignment option "Contact Pair Selection" (see below)

and more:
- 3D View: Buttons for show/hide texture, edges, normals
- Calibration: More helpful error messages
- GUI: Some minor improvements
- GUI: Improved progress bar, and use it more often

The new alignment option "Contact Pair Selection"
The automatic alignment often fails when the object is too regular, does not have distinct shapes, or the scans have too little overlapping. Now you can help DAVID by clicking on two points (areas) that shall be in contact. It's very easy:

- Without "Contact Pair Selection", as before: You click anywhere on Scan A, then you click anywhere on Scan B.
- With the new "Contact Pair Selection": You click on a certain region on Scan A, then you click on the same region on Scan B. Like this you will draw a line between these regions.
CPS.png

When you click on these regions, the mouse pointer has a red circle. The size of this circle is relevant, it defines the size of the contact region. So when you zoom in, the region gets smaller, that means you are defining it more precisely.

Edit: Don't use "Contact Pair Selection" and "Use Texture" at the same time - will crash!

Please test! We are looking forward to your feedback. If there are no problems, this will become version 3.7.0.
:D

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Re: DAVID 3.7.0 beta2: 64-bit!

Postby AlexNoir » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:44 pm

Great! I think we did look really forward to it!

But sorry for the question - did I may pass something? Where was DAVID 3.6? :)

Greetings!

Alex
AlexNoir

Postby MagWeb » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:05 pm

Hi Sven,

congrats! Almost no problems here using 64 bit version (minor thing: after a global registration the text in the progress bar stays )

Ad ContactPair: For images tell more than words...see attachment.... Note yellow to green is NO overlap. Boarder to boarder simply fits perfect :)
Attachments
ContactPair.jpg
MagWeb

Postby Alyx » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:10 pm

x64 Stops responding with video grabber, x32 - works fine, By the way, Extrawebcam and canons supported again :D
Acer i7 3610qm GF GT650M 2gb 16gb ram
Alyx

Postby hal » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:20 pm

8) Thanks to Sven and to all David team! 8)
I'm impatient to try this new version.

I will be on it next week. Thanks! :D

Mattia
hal

Postby MagWeb » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:19 pm

Hi,

found a repeatable crash causing issue:
Here, using AlignMode Free+ContactPair+UseTexture makes DAVID crash (32 as well as 64 bit)
AlignMode Free+ContactPair alone, as Free+UseTexture works fine.

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby illustrami.com » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:58 pm

Hello Sven and partners

Great Job, very effective new alignment tool

I tried it on an one piece original scan in order to be able to check the quality of the alignment with minimal overlapping, so I did cut the scan in two pieces leaving an overlapping zone of just 4-5mm, then moved to arbitrary position one of the two, then free aligned using the new contact selection tool and it worked out at first attempt, then i combined them, so I aligned te original one piece scan to the group and checked out that it fit perfectly, no flaws at all, it is very good.

Next scan I try it with real partial pairs

This is a very solid robust answer to to the wish to reintroduce the 3 or more points alignment method, similar in concept, more powerful, easier to use and VERY effective, my sincere compliments.

By the way I tried the 64bit build, it does not work onto windows XP64, the message error is that it is not a valid win32 application :?: , which sounds strange as the OS is 64bit and regularly runs all programs which are 64bit

Is this build compatible also with WInXP64? Or it is compatible only with WIn7/8 64bit? (strange that no one even speaks of Vista anymore, but with all the service packs in fact became almost good as seven, I guess it is just repelling people for the very good fame)

Win XP64 is really rare so there is no significative loss of compatibility, I just do not know what imply as a difficulty to have it built also for XP64, I just ignore it, but if it is only a matter few options in the compiler and not much effort might be an extra to add.

I personally tend to still keep the ol'good XP64, very light, very stable, very powerful and no tricky "unsecurity settings" I do not need, but I think came the time to have a dual boot to Seven64, I have an unused license, but have to take the time to do it :roll: , I am too much curious to try the 64 version and see how mange large heavy scans I did.

BUG: I confirm MagWeb statment, on win XP64 in david 32bit >>>> free alignment +contact selection + texture = David hang and become irresponsive, must be killed

Davide
illustrami.com

Postby kilrabit » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:16 pm

The 64 bit beta, now recognizes, and calibrates the point grey cameras, with USB 3.0. This is the 150FPS Global shutter. Running win 7, 64 bit pro. No need to run the Flycapture form Point grey.
kilrabit

Postby Bryan_Sang » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:35 pm

Hi,
The 64bit beta is simply amazing. At 150 fps, the point grey usb3 will open a whole new structured light scanning experience. Would there be opportunity for scanning slow moving objects?
Do we also have to change the projector frame rate?

I am glad David offers 64 bit beta.

Bryan Sang
Bryan_Sang

Postby dangre » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:42 pm

kilrabit wrote:The 64 bit beta, now recognizes, and calibrates the point grey cameras, with USB 3.0. This is the 150FPS Global shutter. Running win 7, 64 bit pro. No need to run the Flycapture form Point grey.

Which model Point Grey camera are you using? I'm thinking of upgrading.
Dan
DAVID-CAM-1-C, Acer K11, Macro lenses for K11, Logitech Pro 9000, EOS 40D
dangre

Postby kilrabit » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:51 pm

FL3-U3-13Y3M-C

This is the global shutter 150 FPS mono model.

David will recognize the camera up to 1024X960 @60 FPS.

Actual frame usage with David is around 40FPS, using ICORE7, with 16 gigs of ram in laptop, using USB 3.0.

I have not had much time to do any testing or tweaking yet, may take a few days.
kilrabit

Postby moog » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:10 am

the 64 bit version works well here, the only thing i had difficulty with was, with the new calibration,
i find it a bit hard to see the calibration panel when setting the camera view, as it no longer projects white light.
Also once i'd calibrated, I hit the live view button, and it didn't seem to work, i ended up swiching back to the hardware set-up to get a look at whats it frame.
Am i missing something?
LC532-5-3-F(16x65), BenQ PB8220 DLP Projector, logitec quickcam PRO9001, Casio EX-FH20
moog

Postby Sven » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:39 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback! :D

AlexNoir wrote:But sorry for the question - did I may pass something? Where was DAVID 3.6?

3.6 was a USB version we had to push in just for the SLS-1. No official download release.

MagWeb wrote:minor thing: after a global registration the text in the progress bar stays

Thanks. My mistake. I have fixed it for the next version.

Alyx wrote:x64 Stops responding with video grabber, x32 - works fine

Hmmm, I have no problems with the Video Grabber. Which video codec are you using? Anyone else have that problem?

MagWeb wrote:found a repeatable crash causing issue:
Here, using AlignMode Free+ContactPair+UseTexture makes DAVID crash (32 as well as 64 bit)
AlignMode Free+ContactPair alone, as Free+UseTexture works fine.

D'Oh! You are right, ContactPair and UseTexture don't really work together. Sorry I didn't see it earlier. Please don't use both at the same time. We'll find a solution...

illustrami.com wrote:By the way I tried the 64bit build, it does not work onto windows XP64

Ah yes... sorry. The 64-bit version won't work in XP64, only Vista, 7 or 8.
Can't fix that easily, so you will have to work with the 32-bit version.

illustrami.com wrote:I personally tend to still keep the ol'good XP64

Please note that Microsoft has decided to end support for Windows XP at the end of 2013. No more updates, no security fixes. So if that computer is connected to the Internet, you should update your Windows this year.

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby hal » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:36 pm

Dear Sven, dear David team...

David software is growing up more and more. Good.. Really nice feature is the latest tool for alignment.
Now you need the "cherry on the cake": the non-linear aligning tool! :wink:

Have a thought about... this can really move ShapeFusion into new level and let it to be sell as a standlaone software.

Just an idea (and not a new idea... hehehe)
Keep up your great and amazing work,
Mattia
hal

Postby moog » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:35 am

whilst running the 64 bit on my win7 laptop, my settings are going a bit wierd
the advanced settings window is unreadable and it keeps changing to 1 frequency.
i tried overwriting the settings with a previous one but it still kept doing it.
once i had it set it seemed to function normally even tho i couldn't read the advanced settings still.
Can you suggest a fix or is it best to use the 32bit until more work has been done on the 64bit version.
Thanks..
Attachments
error.PNG
LC532-5-3-F(16x65), BenQ PB8220 DLP Projector, logitec quickcam PRO9001, Casio EX-FH20
moog

Next

Return to DAVID Development