Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Automatic Alignment of all Scans!

Discussions about latest DAVID developments, beta versions...

Re: Automatic Alignment of all Scans!

Postby Bryan_Sang » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:21 am

Hi, Lars

The software you developed works great for my scans of plaster object. With your 64bit version, 4 object files(front partial scans) of my plaster fused(? or aligned?) automatically within 18-25 seconds. Pretty fast.
PC : i7, windows7 64bit, 8GB RAM, Nvidia GTX460

Wonderful software! Thank you so much.

Bryan Sang
Plaster4.jpg
Alignment of 4 scans
Bryan_Sang

Postby Lars » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:15 pm

Hello Mattia,

I think that a selection tool can be usefull: we should have the chance to select only the elements that we want (object's areas) and align only some pieces at time. Example: if we have big objects, could be nice to align the lower scans, the middle scans and the upper scans. Then we can align the 3 groups.

Great suggestion!

An other suggestion is to have a feature to create some points of reference on our surfaces. Like the manual alignemnt point by point, but more easy and fast. Just pick up some points on our surfaces, that we know are related between scans (Like A1, A2 A3, B1, B2, B3, ... where letters means same area of the object, and numbers the differnt scans). Then the software can use our customized points as rule of alignment.

This would need big changes in the current process, but we think about it. :)
Lars

Postby Lars » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:27 pm

Hi Gunter,

The viewer stayed showing the current pair (it was not frozen - I could rotate the scene) but no AcceptResult/ContinueMultimatching dialog popped up (maybe that would need more than the remaining 1,9 GB RAM?). MainForm said that multimatching was completed.

This is a bug in the current version. Multimatching finishes wrong. I will fix it asap!

Maybe you can find a way to dim down the memory needs

I will look for that. I think there are some situations where memory can be released.
Lars

Postby Lars » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:30 pm

Hello Goose,

Your appendix is not started. :(
At start there is a message:
C:\Program Files\Multimatch_GUI.exe is not appendix Win32

I dont tested the Multimatching on WinXP yet. Does anybody else have problems with winXP?
Lars

Postby Lars » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:26 pm

Hello,

Version 0.2 of the Multimatching is ready for download. :D

new features/improvements:
* new parameter: max. overlapping percentage
* fixed memory problem: much less memory is needed!
* fixed bug: multimatching dont finished too soon

Happy matching again! :)
Attachments
Multimatch_GUI_x64.zip
MultimatchGUI v.0.2 x64
(2.37 MiB) Downloaded 291 times
Multimatch_GUI_win32.zip
MultimatchGUI v.0.2 win32
(2.12 MiB) Downloaded 267 times
Lars

Postby MagWeb » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:41 am

Hi Lars,

Lars wrote:* fixed memory problem: much less memory is needed!

Nice fix! Now MultiMatching needs about 1/3 less memory and stays at the needed memory even doing several steps of alignment.
Lars wrote:* fixed bug: multimatching dont finished too soon

Works nicely until you get a final single group.
Lars wrote:* new parameter: max. overlapping percentage

Seems to me that your code searches for the best fit over all in a first step. If this result overlaps more than the given max. overlap it is excluded from a group. This is a good improvement.
Just a thing that came to my mind:
Your attempt needs a user's guess of the overlap and this way you introduce an interesting aspect - the user and his guess.
I think this user will base his guess on the actual way he did the scans. So (thinking the other way around) I wonder if this guess could not be used to predict the user's scanning strategy instead of searching for the"best all over overlap":
Let's say the user guesses the overlap at 50% (averaging upper and lower overlap). This implicates two possible reasons: EITHER he translated the object (or scanning device) 50% towards the first scan OR he rotated the object 90° (think basically humans think orthogonally and ignoring the fact that not every object is a sphere).... maybe more....

maybe cryptic as guesses are....
Gunter
MagWeb

Postby moog » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:42 am

WOW....... you guy's blow me away...........I've been following the forum, and using this software for about three and a half years now, and the progress that its undertaken is absolutely staggering, GOOD JOB you guys...
This Alignment program, had me speachless, and jaw dropped, as i watched it align up a set of 20 scans, before my eyes....
And even though when it finnished, it said it couldn't do it, i'd just watched it work, and I felt like if I'd had a "STOP" button, i could've saved them all like that, then do a global fine in David, to finish off.
I tried a few different percentages, but didn't manage to get a result, But it's obvious that this will be a great addition to the software as it's refined.
:D
LC532-5-3-F(16x65), BenQ PB8220 DLP Projector, logitec quickcam PRO9001, Casio EX-FH20
moog

Postby Lars » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:15 am

Hello,

I'm releasing version 0.3 now!:)

new features/improvements:
* changing overlapping parameters between graph iterations
* repeating of multimatching graph iterations after wrong results

Thanks for previous feedback!
Attachments
Multimatch_GUI_x64.zip
Multimatch 0.3 x64
(2.37 MiB) Downloaded 283 times
Multimatch_GUI_win32.zip
Multimatch 0.3 win32
(2.13 MiB) Downloaded 267 times
Lars

Postby Lars » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:22 am

Hello moog,

moog wrote:And even though when it finnished, it said it couldn't do it, i'd just watched it work, and I felt like if I'd had a "STOP" button, i could've saved them all like that, then do a global fine in David, to finish off.
I tried a few different percentages, but didn't manage to get a result, But it's obvious that this will be a great addition to the software as it's refined.

You should be able to change the percentages between multimatch steps now (version 0.3). You can also save the transformed scan meshes after a multimatch step/iteration and load the scan meshes to DAVID.
Lars

Postby Austin » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:52 am

Can't run the "Multimatch_GUI_x64". It loses response when I run it as administrator in Win7/64bit.
Lenovo T420:intel i7-2640M,4GB RAM;Acer K11;Imaging Source DMK 23G445,DMx 41BUC02+Pentax H614M,Pentax C2514-M
Austin

Postby jininjin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:08 am

When I click add scans it says version out of date. Any Idea what is happening? I am using V0.3 64bit and 32bit. It will not let me add meshes anymore.
I am using Windows 7 and I tried running as administrator.

Edit: I did not read the message. THE SOFTWARE MAY BE USED ONLY UNTIL 15th APRIL 2013.... I am a few days short. Is this going to be released?
jininjin

Postby laserchaos » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:11 pm

hi Lars,
I would like to use scans from a rotary-table.
Do you think that i could enter the count of the scans for one revolution e.g.12
of the table or the degree of table movement in your programm -
to get a better workflow with the scans? the overlapping percentage would be different with the cam or field of view,
and changes with the distance to the object.
The alignement with the help of table degree / shots per revolution of the table would be
constant with the mechanical system ;)
laserchaos

Postby Simon » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:18 pm

Hi all!
Just two notes:
1. Lars successfully finished his practical training and his study.
2. I have extended the trial period by 4 month. The new date of expiry is the 15th August 2013.
Attachments
Multimatch_GUI.zip
(2.1 MiB) Downloaded 259 times
Multimatch_GUI_x64.zip
(2.33 MiB) Downloaded 311 times
Simon
DAVID Developer

Postby Austin » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:39 am

Simon wrote:Hi all!
Just two notes:
1. Lars successfully finished his practical training and his study.
2. I have extended the trial period by 4 month. The new date of expiry is the 15th August 2013.

Simon,Can you extended the trial period by 10 years?
Or update it to a non-trial version?
Thanks
Lenovo T420:intel i7-2640M,4GB RAM;Acer K11;Imaging Source DMK 23G445,DMx 41BUC02+Pentax H614M,Pentax C2514-M
Austin

Postby everettc4 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:14 pm

Wow I had my hopes up but I must be doing something wrong as usual!! So how do you figure the overlap??

Is it better to make 12 or more scans to get around a object?? I usually just make 8 scans?

Looks great I will keep watching for updates to understand how better to utilize..

thanks
everettc4

PreviousNext

Return to DAVID Development