Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

How does laserscanning work? -Student who wants to learn

Discussions about latest DAVID developments, beta versions...

How does laserscanning work? -Student who wants to learn

Postby 94jerdaw » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:32 pm

Hello!

I'm reviewing laserscanning (by own choice, based on curiosity) as a project in school, which weighs pretty heavily on my grades. Could anyone explain how this works in basics, or maybe a bit more thorough?
All the things I know so far are not facts, simply guesses and assumptions. All I can think of is that the camera reads "depth" by calculating how much the laser-line differs from not having any object infront at all. I don't know how it actually works, but I'd really like to know.

Regards,

Dawid Jernström
94jerdaw

Re: How does laserscanning work? -Student who wants to learn

Postby Sven » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:28 am

Hello Dawid,

Your assumption is not really correct.

You can find an explanation in our paper: http://www.cs.tu-bs.de/rob/literatur/do ... z_dagm.pdf

The math is basically: analytical geometry in 3D Euclidean Space . We have 3D planes (the laser light, and the two background panels) and some rays (view directions from the camera) in 3D space.

Hope this helps...
Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Re: How does laserscanning work? -Student who wants to learn

Postby 94jerdaw » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:46 pm

Hello Sven!

This is extremely helpful of you, thanks! I've been really curious to see how this works, and now I can learn it once and for all. Would feel pretty strange to talk about it if I don't know what it does myself :roll:

Once again, thank you!

Dawid
94jerdaw

Return to DAVID Development