Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Diffused Structural Light Scanning

Discussions about latest DAVID developments, beta versions...

Diffused Structural Light Scanning

Postby Khalid Khattak » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:57 pm

Just reading article on the subject, it was so informative that i could not resist to post here. May be this helpful in the David Development. We too much talking about the reflection of inner corner and reflection of objects during SL scanning.
"Today, structured light systems are widely used in applications such as robotic assembly, visual inspection, surgery, entertainment, games and digitization of cultural heritage. Current structured light methods are faced with two serious limitations. First, they are unable to cope with scene regions that produce strong highlights due to specular reflection. Second, they cannot recover useful information for regions that lie within shadows. Examples are shown in the above figure - a metal hemisphere (specularities) and a cube (shadows).

We propose diffuse structured light, a simple but effective approach to mitigate both specularities and shadows in structured light methods. The key observation is that many structured light methods use illumination patterns that have translational symmetry, i.e., two-dimensional patterns that vary only along one of the two dimensions. We show that, for this class of patterns, diffusion of the patterns along the axis of translation can mitigate the adverse effects of specularities and shadows, while maintaining the illumination coding. Our approach can be used in several structured light applications; we show results for two - 3D scanning using sinusoidal phase shifting and separation of direct and global components of light transport using high-frequency binary stripes."

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/CAVE/project ... /index.php
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/CAVE/project ... allery.php
PC: Dell Inspiron i3, 2.27GHz,4GB RAM,64 bit windows 7
CAMERA:
David CCD Mono USB
LASER:
David 5mW Green line laser
PROJECTOR:
3D LED Mini Projector 250lumens, Native 1024x600
[b]http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/
Khalid Khattak

Re: Diffused Structural Light Scanning

Postby pottersfriend » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:58 pm

Nice find Khalid.

It seems like a relatively simple solution. I look forward to hearing what the David team thinks of it.

Darin
pottersfriend

Re: Diffused Structural Light Scanning

Postby Bryan_Sang » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:27 pm

Great result!

I sometimes have to spray white powder mixed with solvent on a glossy or transparent object. One of the concern is that some object is so pliable and soft, the spray might change the nature or 3D shape of the object.

I love it.

Bryan
Bryan_Sang

Return to DAVID Development