Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Color textures with a monochrome camera

Discussions about latest DAVID developments, beta versions...

Color textures with a monochrome camera

Postby WalterMo » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:16 am

Before I made this test I couldn't believe that it would work: Capturing a color texture with a monochrome camera. But now with the new DAVID 3.5 beta 2 it's possible. And the colors are really true, not changed!

What I had used:
SL method, Acer K11 and the DAVID CCD monochrome camera.

It works in this way: After doing the normal SL scan the projector projects a red, green and blue image onto the object. Each of these projections is separately captured by the monochrome camera and analyzed in the right way. Sounds simple, but needs a lot of software work. Well done Sven.

Walter

Edit: If you have already worked with a former version of DAVID 3 you will miss the texture grabbing command at its old place. Now you have to set a hook already at the beginning on the Hardware Setup side (Enable Texturing).
Attachments
Schokobox color monochr Cam2.jpg
Scan with texture.
Schoko box outdoors.jpg
The original, photographed at diffuse sunlight without flash.
WalterMo

Re: Color textures with a monochrome camera

Postby Khalid Khattak » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:48 am

Thats a pretty nice addition.
PC: Dell Inspiron i3, 2.27GHz,4GB RAM,64 bit windows 7
CAMERA:
David CCD Mono USB
LASER:
David 5mW Green line laser
PROJECTOR:
3D LED Mini Projector 250lumens, Native 1024x600
[b]http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/
Khalid Khattak

Postby Christian_Mendez » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:57 am

What kind of foul magic is this! :lol:

Simply AMAZING ! - Well done!
www.greyscale3di.com "if it ain´t movin´, we can scan it!"
Christian_Mendez

Postby MagWeb » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:23 pm

Nice to see old ideas implemented finally...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=691
MagWeb

Postby MagWeb » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:08 pm

And:

splitting color channels would offer much more potential than grabbing texture.
As: using multiple cams and/or projectors or mirrors at the same time...

For example:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3881
MagWeb

Postby Sven » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:17 pm

Hi Gunter,
Nice to hear from you :D
Yes, this was one of the many great "Feature Wish List" ideas, from you and others.
Wish we had more time for these innovative ideas, but often other improvements are more pressing, like making use easier for non-experts, multi-language support, etc...
But development never stops, and we do not ignore your Feature Wishes :D
Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby hal » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:18 pm

That feature to have a monochrome camera that can capture colored texutres... is the rabbid from the cylinder! Amazing.

Great work, Sven and team.
Mattia
hal

Postby Bryan_Sang » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:33 pm

I was thinking the 'color textures with a monochrome camera' feature still needs some complicated color-filter manipulation(hardware or software) after scanning, in case I use my David monochrome CCD camera instead of color camera like Logitech Pro9000.
Well, this evening, I tried selecting the 'autograb texture' function, and, without any user-input, David3.5.1 gave me wonderfully color-texutred scan results instantly. Now, I understand why there are several flickering colors on the scene.

I really like the feature. I really appreciate the feature developments by DAVID gurus and advanced users' suggestions.

Bryan Sang
Bryan_Sang

Postby Khalid Khattak » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:34 pm

I am not able to get good results with David camera CCD mono... This might be due to my Projector. I can see Red blue Green and colorful strips but the result of the texture is pretty bad :shock:
PC: Dell Inspiron i3, 2.27GHz,4GB RAM,64 bit windows 7
CAMERA:
David CCD Mono USB
LASER:
David 5mW Green line laser
PROJECTOR:
3D LED Mini Projector 250lumens, Native 1024x600
[b]http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/
Khalid Khattak

Postby Sven » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:06 pm

Many potential customers ask about how we can make color textures with a monochrome camera, and what the quality is. The last results are >1 year old, so today I have made another quick demo scan including nice scan quality.

I don't have an SLS-2 available, so I used my SLS-1. Result should be about the same. You can download the scan here:
http://downloads.david-3d.com/scans/Col ... e-Demo.zip

photo.jpg
Scanned scene

This photo shows what I did: I put a green Yoda plus a blue medicine box with red text on my brown wooden table and scanned that (one single scan only). Usually you would use a black table/background to avoid scanning it.
The result .OBJ can be imported in our DAVID software (Free Edition), Shapefusion menu, "+" button:
http://www.david-3d.com/?section=Downloads
The other files, .MTL and .PNG, must be in the same folder.
In DAVID, you can use the Visibility buttons to toggle the texture on and off. Or keyboard T.

The texture coordinates are very precise because it's trivial for us to compute them: We use the same camera for 3D points and texture colors, so it's the same pixels. Each pixel = one 3D point. Each pixel = one color.

scan_result.jpg
Scan Result without texture

scan_result_textured.jpg
Scan result with texture

About this scan:
DAVID 3.9, Original scan, no post-processing. No smoothing. Setting "Quality". Scan time 10 seconds including texture, scanned area around 150*110mm. Scanner distance around 280 mm.

2014-01-27_16-39-34.png
Live camera image

Result quality:
When you switch off the texture, you can clearly see small details like Yoda's wrinkles and the Braille on the box.
With texture, you can see that the colors are like a usual color photo from a color camera.

Result limitations:
There are gaps in the Yoda figure because it's only one scan from one direction. You would make more scans around the object and combine them in the DAVID software to get 360°. Gaps can also be interpolated.
There are gaps on the medicine box where there is text written on it. At the border of the letters, often small deviations occur which we can't correct (optical reasons). Therefore the DAVID software automatically removes those problematic data (filter settings "Quality Check"). Those gaps would be automatically interpolated in the final processing step, Fusion.

You can find some 360° degree scan results in the Examples section on our website: http://www.david-3d.com/?section=Downloads Some including color texture.
Also you will find a lot of results in this forum, made by various people. :D

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Return to DAVID Development