Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

[Gallery] SL results

Discussions about latest DAVID developments, beta versions...

Re: [Gallery] SL results

Postby WalterMo » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:08 pm

This face scan was made with the same setup as above.

The modified Logitech C600 with a resolution of 800 x 600 @15fps. My head was leant against the wooden padded headrest. Three single scans, not smoothed, were fused at a resolution of 550 and a sharpness of 5.

The scan time, only the horizontal stripes were used, was about 6 sec each.

Walter

PS. The scar under my chin is true, but much smaller.
Attachments
Walter SL 3 Einzelscans.jpg
WalterMo

Postby C4ptain_Mike » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:00 pm

I got this scan using the highest settings my hardware can possibly manage. It froze my computer several times, and crash david a couple more. Resolution on my webcam was around 2500 x 1875. I had to increase the pattern holding time to 1500 millisecs because I could only grab at .4 fps.

I ended up with almost perfect detail. There wasnt any more detail on the physical object that got missed as far as I could tell.
Attachments
dino.jpg
www.michaeltaylor3d.com
C4ptain_Mike

Postby BLinus » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:07 am

C4ptain_Mike wrote:I got this scan using the highest settings my hardware can possibly manage. It froze my computer several times, and crash david a couple more. Resolution on my webcam was around 2500 x 1875. I had to increase the pattern holding time to 1500 millisecs because I could only grab at .4 fps.

I ended up with almost perfect detail. There wasnt any more detail on the physical object that got missed as far as I could tell.

Interesting. What webcam do you have, that can output 2500 x 1875 ? And could you post a photo of the dinosaur model to compare with the scan result?
BLinus

Postby Mike_A » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:49 pm

Hi Guys,
I just bought a Acer K11 projector and have had a quick play with it, (Using David 3 Beta)
This is the same little figurine that I have scanned before with the laser line.
I will post some more images once I have got my camera /projector calibrations correct.
Cheers,
Mike.
Attachments
Statuette.jpg
532nm 5mw 3V Green line laser
Stepper-11YPG302S-LW4-R100 with 100:1 gear ratio Gearbox
Mono Camera - DMK31AU03. 1024 x 768 / 30fps
Arduino UNO/EasyDriver V4
Acer K11 Projector.
www.mikeannear.com
Perth, Western Australia.
Mike_A

Postby moog » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:33 am

800 x 600 @ 15 fps pro9000 , smooth average =1
1024 x 768 projection , reverse corner.
I borrowed a near new 800 x 600 Epson resolution projector, to compare it to my second hand (high hours)
1024 x 768 Benq, and mine is noticably better :)
Attachments
gen-2.jpg
gen-2-fused.jpg
LC532-5-3-F(16x65), BenQ PB8220 DLP Projector, logitec quickcam PRO9001, Casio EX-FH20
moog

Postby nutville » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:31 pm

I received my projector today and decided to scan the same object as I did a couple off weeks back (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3248). But this time with David3!

My setup:
Logitech HD Pro Webcam C910 Web camera (was on 800x600 I think)
Enwo HD 2G project (resolution 1024x768)
Negative 90 degrees corner with A3 format paper

When trying to calibrate the projector I got some messages about David only supporting the vertical patterns, not sure what that meant. And also the phase error window looked quite horrible, lots of noise all over, but I decided to go forward anyway.

The thing I liked the most is that now I have the SL setup, I can remove the calibrationpanel! In my last scan this kept being in the way when rotating the model and its cumbersome not to touch or move it.

The scans only used horizontal lines (not sure why, got some popup window). But making a scan is still really superfast and I did about twenty with small turns of rotation. I think it took me about 10 minutes to scan and another 20 or so to align all of them. But now I know the interface better I could do it even a bit faster I think.

All in all I'm really excited about my first hours with David3 and my setup!

All scans aligned.jpg
All scans aligned. Quite some noise, but its gone after fusion

Fused.jpg
Fused (on 500)
Attachments
fused3.jpg
Detail
3D scan&print blog: www.J3dscans.nl/blog
nutville

Postby nutville » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:44 am

One thing I do not understand about SL scans in David3:
can you have texture grabs taken automatically when you make a single SL scan? I see a submenu with a 'grab texture' button. But that would mean you have to first start SL scan, switch menu, push texture grab

I thought a texture grab could also be taken directly by illuminating with a plain white projector image (before of after the patterns)

Joris
3D scan&print blog: www.J3dscans.nl/blog
nutville

Postby Godehardt » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:36 pm

Hi,
for calibration, both patterns - horizontal and vertical ones - are needed. If the camera is on top of the projector, and if the angle between projector, object and camera is big enough, then the horizontal patterns (lines) are needed for scanning. If the camera is on one side of the projector and the angle again is big enough, then the vertical patterns are needed for scanning. And only if both angles are big enough, then both types of patterns can be used for scanning. However, usually only one type of patterns will be used for scanning if the other angle is too small. This is what the message tells to you.
Regards,
Erhard
Erhard Godehardt
Godehardt

Postby Godehardt » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:02 am

Hello,
here is a screenshot of a 28mm figurine which I scanned with my pocket projector MP110 from 3M (supported resolution 1024x768, three additional lenses for close-up projection added) and the uEye camera 1245C (1.3 Mpixel, global shutter, vario objective). The frame rate was 15 fps, and the exposure time was put to 1/fps here. The distance between object and projetor/camera was approx. 50mm.
Attachments
Rohan2011071428mm.jpg
Games Workshop Lord of the Rings 28mm plastic figurine
Rohan2011071428mm.jpg (51.98 KiB) Viewed 7948 times
Erhard Godehardt
Godehardt

Postby hal » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:54 am

Hello Erhard,

interesting results... May I ask to you to post some infos/images about the modded optincs of your projector? Maybe you can post something here and help us to do the same... macro scanning are great, but standard optics sucks!
Thanks in advance.
Mattia
hal

Postby Godehardt » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:56 pm

Hello,
with my laptop equipment, I have scanned a 25mm figurine of a gladiator (from Pegasus). For Shape Fusionm I used nine scans. The whole workflow was done straightforward in DAVID 3 beta 08. I used a pocket projector from 3M and a uEye camera with vario objective as for my last scan. For a better comparison, I give the screenshot of the fused file and a photograph of the figurine.
Attachments
Gladiator20110727.jpg
Photograph of the gladiator
Gladiator20110731Result.jpg
Screenshot of the fusion result of nine scans
Erhard Godehardt
Godehardt

Postby Godehardt » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:04 pm

Hello,
while the resolution in Shape Fusion for the gladiator was left to 300 in the previous post (which means less than 5 MByte in the fusion file), I now made a new fusion with a resolution of 800. The nes file now has a size of more than 40 MByte and shows more crisp details. In both fusions, I did not close holes.
Regards,
Erhard
Attachments
Gladiator20110801Result.jpg
Erhard Godehardt
Godehardt

Shoes

Postby hal » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:31 pm

recently I've seen, on the forum, some scan done with feets! :D
Obviously I'm talking about the great scans done by WalterMo and about the interest of some users about scans of shoes.

I'm working on a project and I needed to have some reference of shoes. So I've scanned a portion of a female boot and a sandal.
So, why not to share those scan with you? :wink: Sandal was captured without any coating, the boot with a thin layer of Cyclododecane spray (because the surface is shiny black).

Take in mind that now the precison wasn't my first purpose, so I consider the these scans not very accurate and acquired quickly, but enough for my goals (the boot haven't the sole and the upper side, because don't care to me for my project).

SG_ScanWIP_05.jpg

SG_ScanWIP_04.jpg

SG_ScanWIP_03.jpg

Regards,
Mattia
PC: DELL Alienware 17, Intel I7-4710MQ, 32 Gb Ram, AMD Radeon R9 M290X 4GB.
SO: Win 8.1 64Bit.
CAMs: USB 3.0 CMOS B/N (1280x960, 60 fps).
LENS: 12 mm.
PROJECTOR: DAVID SLS1 ACER K11.
hal

Mattia The great DAVID Master

Postby shoesam » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:00 am

Mattia,

Your results look amazing of these shoes!!!! Can you tell us how you get such great results? I have not tried the SL ability of David, but with Laser these sort of quality results seem out of my ability.

How many scans were used to get all this complete detail in the sandal?
How many vertices are in the total mesh?
How much post production work was done to clean these up?

this 3 month user wants to know!.....I bet more do tooo!

thanks,

Sam
shoesam

Postby hunkatibor2 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:34 pm

Hi Hal
You give a hope always. Worthy work from you . I am lagging behind after you on the road and I smell your footprint .
Tibor :D :D :lol: :lol:
Intel Xeon E5410 2.33GHZ 16GB RAM Windows 7 64bit David 4.5.0
2 Basler A622F camera 2 Tamron Asfirical AF 28-80mm lense
LG DLP Projector PF1500G Canon D40 Tokina 17-70mm 1:2.8-4,5
Humanti Calibration panel system and Alignmed&Two camera
hunkatibor2

PreviousNext

Return to DAVID Development