Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

[Gallery] SL results

Discussions about latest DAVID developments, beta versions...

[Gallery] SL results

Postby MagWeb » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:39 pm

Hi,

here some of my first acceptable SL scans.

I did cam and pro calibration on an external corner which isn´t supported correctly yet, but I wanted to exclude reflections. So the results came out with flipped normals and distorted in depth.

I got the best results adjusting the red sin curve as equal as possible. To do that I had to dim down contrast of the projector via its firmware (otherwise slight grey values were oversaturated). ( suggestion: I made good experiences dimming the projector down by using mixes of color chanels - couldn´t that be implemented?)

Results show scans of plaster-like 3D printed heads 12 cm in height.

Settings:
orientation: both
PatternMode: cl+ps
Frequencies 8
Brightness 255
PatternHoldingTime 200 (otherwise I get ghost/half images)
Min Contrast 6
....others default

DAVID BW cam , EnWo 2G 1024x768

I´m not sure which of the settings may be changeed after a projector calibration.
Changing some of them seems to work - others not...

Would be nice if one could move/drag the red curve onto the object to adjust cam settings to the actual surface - or isn´t that allowed?

Gunter

EDIT: due to the flipped normals, the material looks not so shiny and nice soft. I like that - think it fit well to the new GUI - Couldn´t the material be changed that way ?
Attachments
SLtest24_4.jpg
MagWeb

Re: [Gallery] SL results

Postby MagWeb » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:42 pm

Some more,
for this is going to be pure joy
Attachments
SLtest24_4b.jpg
MagWeb

Postby hal » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:19 pm

Nice!

May I ask to post an image of your camera view, of a pattern projection? Don't care what pattern do you grab, but I need to understand your quality of the image and light in the scene. I can't obtain acceptable results, and when I choose only one pattern orientation, the quality sine curve is no more a curve but a series of vertical grey stripes!? And in any case my scan are drastically deformed and with huge waves.

Thanks in advance,
Mattia
hal

Postby MagWeb » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:46 pm

Hi Mattia,

don´t look at the image. Look at the horizontal sin-wave.

Adjust your projector and cam to get a nice balanced wave as high as possible with no flat areas on bottom or top.

Gunter
Attachments
ItsASin.jpg
MagWeb

Postby hal » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:01 pm

Hi Gunter,

thanks for sharing.
Well, I have similar shapes of sin-waves, but the results are distorted (geometry and noise).
I can see some differences with mine: your horizontal sine wave decrease at right and left, my is quite costant. And your are very smooth. My are crisp, bumpy, especially in the top (bright) side. Seems that there are discrepancies between the colors channels (if I play with the white balance values, I can see two different sines, overlapped).
Soon I'll post an image to clarify... but I'm scared that my problems are related to te CCD color sensor. :?

Thanks and regards,
Mattia
hal

Postby MagWeb » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:14 pm

Hi Mattia,

I saw your line in the other thread - looks good....hmm... did you try to increase PatternHoldingTime? Maybe you grab images right when the projector changes its image.

Another point may be: Keep the cam´s exposure time as close as possible to the refresh rate of your projector (should be around 30 projections/sec means try to set the cam´s exposure to 1/30 ).

Now I´m going to try my logitech cam maybe I´ll find out more using a color cam.

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby hal » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:30 pm

Hi Gunter,

Yes, I've tried to increase and decrease all the parameters, also the PatternHoldingTime. No differences.

I'll try more and deeper this night.
Thanks for the help,
Mattia
hal

Postby hal » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:45 pm

Hello Gunter, Sven and Simon,

I've tried to folllow your suggestions, but till now no good results.
In the image here you can see my sin-waves that are very noisy in the upper side. The quality sine is good but the result si bad.

MatM_D3_SL_Sin-Waves and Scan Result.jpg

I've tried to modify the White Balance velues of my CCD color camera and you can see easily the two sin-waves.

MatM_D3_SL_Sin-Waves White Balance.jpg

And here a test of projector calibration with only Vertical patterns (the projector is placed above the camera). Why this strange curve?

MatM_D3_SL_Only Vertical.jpg
MatM_D3_SL_Only Vertical.jpg (33.16 KiB) Viewed 8010 times

If I use the projector calibration done with both orientation of the patterns and after I scan only with vertical, the scanning process works and have the same result than I have with both (see image above). So, why I can't calibrate only with the usefull pattern?

Thanks in advance,
Mattia
hal

Postby Simon » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:06 pm

Hi Mattia,
there is definitely a problem with your grabbed camera images. The visible Bayer pattern is not good for SL. We will test all our color cameras and will see if I can reproduce that problem...
Simon
DAVID Developer

Postby hal » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:05 pm

Hello Simon,

Many thanks. As you probably know, I use a CCD usb color camera (DFK 31AU03) by TheImagingSource company (it isn't similar to the CCD color from the David Shop?).

Thanks in advance for any aid. I hope that my problem can be usefull to solve a bug and/or a problem of others users.

Regards,
Mattia
hal

Postby Sven » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:38 am

Hi Mattia,
Please test your color CCD camera with the latest beta_06. It should not make any more problems with the Bayer pattern / grid.

However it might be a little slower especially for laser scanning.
Only for scanning with green laser: To increase speed, it might be better to choose color mode Y800 for scanning.
Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby MagWeb » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi,

totally satified with the job beta06-SL does - hope this solves Mattia's problems ,too.
Gunter

Same settings as above with beta06 - A 15cm toy bear by "Schleich" - Think there are no details that were not captured.
Edit: No smoothing
Attachments
SL_beta06_t1.jpg
MagWeb

Postby hal » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:01 pm

Fantastic Gunter! Unfortunately here I can still achieve good results :?

Thanks Sven and Simon for your effort. Now I have less noise but the 3D mesh is still deformed (the deformation happens in the first tests, too).

MatM_D3_Distorted SL mesh.jpg

I've tried again to calibrate the camera (49 mm) and the projectorwith both orientations.

MatM_D3_Calibration49mm.jpg
MatM_D3_Sine Quality Check_Both.jpg
MatM_D3_Sine Quality Check_Both.jpg (43.25 KiB) Viewed 7982 times

But the result is distorted and the waves are there (less than first, but are there).

I've tried to calibrate the projector with only horizontal patterns (orientation vertical) and the calibration have some problems: sometimes the application crash, sometimes need long second to be calculated, and the quality sine is this:

MatM_D3_Sine Quality Check_Horizzontal.jpg
MatM_D3_Sine Quality Check_Horizzontal.jpg (39.81 KiB) Viewed 7982 times

All works bad as in the firsts tests. I'm using the BY8 video mode as suggested, with the projector above the camera, with high holding time (450), with a good angle, with good exposure settings (look the image down).

MatM_D3_Sine-Waves.jpg

In an other discussion about grey values of the patterns, Gunter ask if my patterns are like his patterns. No, I can see in the camera view a grey smooth pattern like showed by Simon.

I fell my self so stupid! Like I am on my first steps with 3D scanning he he :(
Any ideas?

p.s.: when I scan, not all the lines and fringes in the patterns are visible in the camera, because projector focusing need more distance from the object. So, something like 1/6, 1/7 of the height of the projection is cutted out. David need to see all the fringes? Could be this one of the reason for my problem?

Regards,
Mattia
PC: DELL Alienware 17, Intel I7-4710MQ, 32 Gb Ram, AMD Radeon R9 M290X 4GB.
SO: Win 8.1 64Bit.
CAMs: USB 3.0 CMOS B/N (1280x960, 60 fps).
LENS: 12 mm.
PROJECTOR: DAVID SLS1 ACER K11.
hal

Postby MagWeb » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:20 pm

Hi Mattia,

you´ve to do something against reflections inside the corner(from one plane to the other). Either you use a external corner, as I do, or you put a thin black plane in the direction of the projector (45° to the corner) so that one side of the corner cann´t "see" (or reflect to) the other...

Make sure that your machine is set to 96dpi (100% symbol size). Don´t use large, 120% symbol size...

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby hal » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:45 pm

Hi,

about the dpi, I'm on the right 100% setting (96dpi).
About the noise: now I see that with new 06 beta the noise is less and don't care if in my test there is medium noise. Now I'm checking the SL system, and I have distorted scans. Seems that the software can undestand where is correctly the projector. Sometimes (looking at the 3D scene inside David) is placed above but far, far away. Sometimes is at right distance, but not correctly oriented.

The strange thing is that I calibrate with vertical orientation, the noise and waves is less, but the quality sine sucks and someimes the software crash. With both orientation, all works and sometimes the sine is good, but the scans are worse.

I'm checking different projectorì's positions...

Thanks
Mattia
hal

Next

Return to DAVID Development