Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

David 4 vs David 5?

Problems, solutions and discussion about scanning with a video projector and stripe patterns.

David 4 vs David 5?

Postby mash3d » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:48 am

Hi, I was in the process of buying David 4 but now David 5 has come out.
The web page isn't very clear on what the differences are though.
I know in David 5 you can use two cameras. But what is the set up?
A camera on either side of the projector?
Is it doing a scan from each camera and then fusing them together to cover more area?
Or is the software using both cameras at once?
Is it harder to calibrate with two cameras?
Also can David 5 work with a single camera or does it need to have two cameras to work?
Any information you could give me would be helpful.
Thank you,
mash3d

Re: David 4 vs David 5?

Postby gkrywusha » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:39 pm

If you look at the thread on David 5 Beta in Development, you'll find some of your questions answered by Sven.

David 5 will work with one camera without a problem.

The reason for two cameras (which I believe the normal setup is one on each side of the projector) is to either EXTEND the amount of area scanned. Or, in STEREO view, it gives greater accuracy as the areas scanned are those seen by both the cameras and the projector.

Calibration seems easier at this point in David 5. It's early to give you a full breakdown of its features, but scan effectiveness and quality seems much better.

Hope that helps.
gkrywusha

Re: David 4 vs David 5?

Postby mash3d » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:50 am

Hi, thanks for the info. I had not seen the thread in the development section of the forum.
I read through it and it answered some of my questions. I'm a bit bummed about the lack of a com port in David 5.
I had just printed out a turntable and got the Arduino parts to make a turntable last week.
Form what I saw on the thread there is sort of a work around but I'll have to re hack a few things to see if I can get it to work.
Thanks,
Michael
mash3d

Return to Structured Light Scanning