Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Fossils with low contrast

Problems, solutions and discussion about scanning with a video projector and stripe patterns.

Fossils with low contrast

Postby fossilexpress » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:26 pm

fossil1.jpg
Fossil2.jpg
I am trying to image fossils with some relief and with relatively low original contrast (see photos for example). The setup does a great job of capturing the relief, but is having trouble getting the colors right, such as distinguishing between the dark and light gray areas in the first photo. Suggestions on how to improve the imaging? Should I do two sets of scans with different apertures (I do have a turntable)? Thanks for any advice on this - Roy
fossilexpress

Re: Fossils with low contrast

Postby drndadoo » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:39 am

You can try with two scan sets, one for 3d data and the other one for the quality texture.
Light box could help in this case, also under texturing menu you can do white balance (with the clean white paper) once more before you do the scanning for the texture.
http://www.wikihow.com/Create-an-Inexpe ... y-Lightbox
If the results are not good enough then you should use color camera.
drndadoo
DAVID Support

Return to Structured Light Scanning