Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Misalignment issues with the TT-1 turntable

Problems, solutions and discussion about scanning with a video projector and stripe patterns.

Misalignment issues with the TT-1 turntable

Postby GabeG75 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:08 pm

Hello,

I bought a sls-2 last year with the David 4 software and could never get the scans to align properly.

Recently I bought a tt-1 turntable hoping to get a more automated way for aligning the scans.

So far after re calibrating many times I still cant get my scans to line up. I've tried a low number of scans to a high number, different alignment settings within the software.

I hope someone out there can help, I bought this turntable thinking it would automate the process. That is how it was advertised...

I really hope its just my lack of knowledge and information.

Maybe i'm not setting up the alignment right in the program before scanning?

There is next to no information on how to use the turntable out there. The manual that comes with it just has one page that explains the warranty.

Thanks,
Gabe G
GabeG75

Re: Misalignment issues with the TT-1 turntable

Postby Farquarl » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:32 pm

I do not use the genuine David turntable, but what i´ve noticed is that the angle function does not work really good.
You need to cut or filter out the background and also try the "free" aligment method.
I hope that helps im not what you would call an expert :P
Farquarl

Postby GabeG75 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:14 pm

I have tried what you have suggested before and the scans are still off. good to know about the turntable angle, thats unfortunate..

Thanks for your help

Gabe
GabeG75

Postby micr0 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:11 pm

How is the alignment failing? Does David give you an error saying that no alignment solution can be found or is it that two scans when "aligned" don't quite match up?
µ
micr0

Postby GabeG75 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:09 am

Hi Micro, thanks for replying.

I am getting quality scans 'no errors" they just aren't aligning correctly, although not off by a lot. I can post an example once I run another scan.

Gabe
GabeG75

Postby GabeG75 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:11 am

I ran another scan. I have never added an image as they do on this forum but ill give it a try Image

https://postimg.org/image/x7s18vvfr/

not sure if that worked....
GabeG75

Postby gkrywusha » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:03 am

I used to have issues like this, but a few forum members discussed checking my calibration panels to see if the angle was 90 degrees. After reworking the panels, I've also created a cluster of symbols on the face of my turntable to sync onto as well. These options and using Free alignment have been night and day.
gkrywusha

Postby GabeG75 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:55 am

Thanks for the input. I think you may be onto something.

I have the brackets and calibration panels that came with the scanner, but the hinges were damaged and they tend to slide within the brackets.

I figure I should buy a new calibration panel, and try again. Unless the minor sliding is not a factor.

Gabe
GabeG75

Postby Farquarl » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:10 am

Hard to judge on your image, does a good portion of the scan align but when you get to 360° the first and last scan don`t?
If so its distortion if that isn`t the case maybe try to uncheck the rotationangle box.
Farquarl

Postby drndadoo » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:36 am

You can check projector settings, Autokeystone should be set to off, Manual Keystone should be 0, thatis very important or your scans will be distorted.
Also if your panels are damaged they should be repaired.
drndadoo
DAVID Support

Postby GabeG75 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:05 pm

Thanks for all the help, I wont be able to check or test anything until tonight, I will check on which scans are misaligned to determine if its distortion or not. and also the keystone settings.

Gabe
GabeG75

Postby GabeG75 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:21 am

The keystone setting did the trick. Thanks a bunch "drndadoo", I had no clue about that setting.

I can now start scanning! I have had some misalignments since but they are usually just one or so scans.

I havent seen a link on the forums about doing top and bottom scan automated with the turntable. Is this even possible since the change in position is so drastic?

For now im just using the align tools, but would love to hear of any other techniques to automate the process for top and bottom scans.

Im just grateful my scanner is workable again.

Thanks for all the help guys

Gabe
GabeG75

Return to Structured Light Scanning