Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

How to scan deep bore / structure

Problems, solutions and discussion about scanning with a video projector and stripe patterns.

How to scan deep bore / structure

Postby spark » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:55 am

Hi Forum,
i have two questions for you. How to:

Optimize Scan Quality
Scan deep structure such as an aircooled cylinder heads rip structure / air intake / ...

I will continue with some setup details...

regards, Spark
spark

Re: How to scan deep bore / structure

Postby spark » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:12 am

Here i am again...

Hardware:
David SLS2/3 Acer Projector K132
The Imagining Source DMK 23UX174 HD Camera
Fujinon Lens CF16HA-1
MacBookPro 2010 13" Nvidia Geforce 320m
Motorbike Cylinderhead with developers spray (i know this is an advanced one!)
David 120mm glass Calibration Panel

Software David 4
Win7

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Does anybody know how to get a better scan quality without this ripple?
How to chance the projectors frequency by 1hz or similar?

I need to scan deep into structure to get as much as possibe of the geometry to reverse engineer this head. Sure there are limitations because of the camera and projector angle, but it should be possible to get more!

Another question in between.
Is it possible to scan with different calibrations and merge them into a single model?
(rise the quality of single areas by smaller scan area)

Thank you for your help.
I am impressed so far with the david results, but now a am looking for more stability and accuracy of scanning process.
regards, Spark
spark

Postby Curiousjeff » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:36 am

If possible,change the frequency of the camera.

I did change the frequency of the projector with excellent results through the Nvidia control panel but I don't know if it's available on all graphic cards and may also depending on the projector. I'll post a screen shot later.

I have fused items with the same panel but from different cameras and lens. If that worked, logically, what you are suggesting should also.

Jeff
Panasonic GH4 4K with lens 12-35, Inogeni 4K to USB3 hdmi capture device, projectors: Acer K135/Acer K11/NEC V260X, Canon 60D, macro 60 mm, MagicLantern
Curiousjeff

Postby spark » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:14 pm

Thank you Jeff,
i installed the Nvidia Detonator driver which is suitable for all their Chips and found the option to manually adjust the frequency.
This evening i will try to apply this to the projector. Not sure if i can make the adjustments indepentent for each monitor.

Before this i tried good old Powerstrip, which failed.

Any idea about the "deepness" of a scan?

regards, spark
spark

Postby spark » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:46 pm

No chance to test it the remaining days... targetting tomorrow evening.
Which is the frequency you use?
Step width of chance?

regards spark
spark

Postby spark » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:50 pm

hmpf.
Acer K132 David edt. only allows 59,60,61 Hz
Camera Frame Rate is limited to 15fps at max resolution (HD) using my usb 2.0 (no chance to upgrade on notebook)
Each combination i tested is not good, i archieved to make it worse, but not better.

wouldnt it be better to gamble with the shutter speed?

Reducing the cameras resolution to reach 37fps was also no success

what next?
spark

Postby drndadoo » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:57 am

Try to set exposure to 1/60, that could fix your problems.
drndadoo
DAVID Support

Postby Curiousjeff » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:45 am

Sorry, when I said "frequency" , it was first adjust shutter speed to 1/60 as drdadoo says and then if possible make further adjustments if possible by fine tuning shutter speed or fps of the camera when possible.

For exemple, the GH4 has a 1/10 per second adjustment feature called "syncro adju"

The Canon has also a fine adjustment using MagicLantern.

In live view in David, you should not see moving frequency lines going across the screen and the sine wave should not be shaking. The more stable, the better.

Jeff
Panasonic GH4 4K with lens 12-35, Inogeni 4K to USB3 hdmi capture device, projectors: Acer K135/Acer K11/NEC V260X, Canon 60D, macro 60 mm, MagicLantern
Curiousjeff

Postby spark » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:30 pm

i tried 1/60s shutter speed according an earlier thread in this forum last night. this fixed the problems! i will continue scanning :-) thanks!
spark

Postby robssm » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:22 pm

Let me know when you are done with that scan, I would be interested in maybe buying it from you instead of doing it myself. I too have an ironhead.. Oh wait that is a bit different. lol. Very similar though..
CPU: Core i7
GPU: GTX560m
RAM: 16GB
CAM: DMK20213UM
Projector: 3M Pocket Projector and LG PA75U
robssm

Postby micr0 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:24 pm

robssm wrote:Let me know when you are done with that scan, I would be interested in maybe buying it from you instead of doing it myself. I too have an ironhead.. Oh wait that is a bit different. lol. Very similar though..

Late model pan by my guess, As for the ports, I have had mixed success with any kind of deep negative space. If you really need accurate port geometry, cast silicone positives, scan those and take surfaces off the meshes. Put alignment markers on both the and port molds so that you can bring them together in mesh mixer or the like. as for alignment markers try white marbles or 00 buck adhered with hot glue or epoxy-
µ
micr0

Return to Structured Light Scanning