Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Here"s a Challenge

Problems, solutions and discussion about scanning with a video projector and stripe patterns.

Here"s a Challenge

Postby micr0 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:57 pm

This weekend I was at a sculpture opening where a friend of a friend was exhibiting some of his work. His pieces are all carved from large foam blocks and then covered with either fiberglass or in some cases stucco to produce a piece that kids/people are allowed to climb on. Cut to the chase. the foundation that was holding the exhibit and representing our friend the sculptor approached me about scanning one of these pieces so that they could reproduce them in various sizes and in other materials. There is good money behind this project but the budget isn't unlimited. Here are a couple of pictures of the piece they asked me to scan. My first though seeing it in real life was "How the hell I'm I going to do that?" There are some deep undercuts and recessed areas. I've been thinking about this for a few days now and think I have an idea of how to get about 85%-95% of the sculpture by doing it in sections, but I'd love to hear some more Ideas. I told them I'm going to give it a shot but with no guarantee of success hope if nothing else it will teach me a lot.

IMAG1149.jpg

IMAG1151.jpg

IMAG1152.jpg

Thoughts?

µ
µ
micr0

Re: Here"s a Challenge

Postby drndadoo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:03 am

Wow, nice! Challenge accepted :)

What is the size of the calibration panels that you have, only original DAVID or something bigger?
I would draw a circle on the floor in that room and mark approx all 30 degrees angles (30, 60, 90...).
Then I would rotate the scanner around that object. Environment lights should be low, almost off,
so that pattern is sharp and visible. In DAVID Settings > Advanced settings > ShapeFusion > Registration > RotationAngleTolerance
default value is 2, you should set it higher, maybe 5, or 10, depends how good can you set the angle between the scans.
Now you can try to align scans with the known angle. But that is still theory, I am not sure how it would be in real life.
drndadoo
DAVID Support

Postby AIMED » Thu May 05, 2016 7:53 am

Nice parts to scan.
In my opinion, the challenge is to get maximum area scanned. Alignment is not an important issue in these parts. These will be aligned easily. I love David for its alignment algorithm. Its align the scans so easily.
My advise is to make custom calibration panels, then mark parts with marker etc to get scan of a particular area. After several scans align those and save. Then go for neighbor area and so on.
Logitech QuickCAM Pro 9000
Toshiba Satellite, 4GB RAM, 1GB AMD display
Panasonic Projector (model unknown)
AIMED

Postby edegre » Fri May 13, 2016 10:55 pm

Hi,
Nice challenge, specially concerning the size.
I've scanned buildings, but not with a David Scan, but with a Faro laser scanner. I don't believe it's posible to scan such a dimmension with David...
In any case, even if the sculpture was much smaller, the sculpture has areas which are not "reachables" and will never be scanned properly; however, as the surfaces are smooth and reasonably "predictables", I would rely in a 3D sculpture software like zbrush (that's what I use), in order to make a post-treatment, rather intensive if necessary....
But the problem on my opinion is the size more than the shape
Good luck !!
Eduardo
edegre

Return to Structured Light Scanning