Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Advice on requirments

Problems, solutions and discussion about scanning with a video projector and stripe patterns.

Advice on requirments

Postby antique auto » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:54 pm

I have David 3 with a Logitech 9000 webcam and a Acer k11 projector. I currently haven't been able to dedicate to much time to scanning but I am hoping that will change. I was wondering if I should upgrade my camera and projector or not, I already am planning on upgrading my David 3 to 4. The scans I make are mostly antique car parts from small brass knobs to large crank cases. I want to be able to scan these items to reverse engineer them, 3d print out patterns and reproduce them. Also if I could speed up the process that would be great. I would love a TT1 turn table but it can not support the weight of the items I scan, Engine blocks are rarely light weight. So my question is what would one need to accomplish this? Here is a camera I was looking at do you think it would work?

http://machinevisionstore.com/catalog/D ... 38#Details
and this for a lens
http://machinevisionstore.com/Catalog/Details/1464

One day hopefully I will be able to automate the scans but for now I will be turning by hand. Also for those who do post process there data in a CAD program what do you use? I will be doing these operations also to add material for machining the castings and adding hidden areas the scanner can't pick up.
antique auto

Re: Advice on requirments

Postby AIMED » Thu May 05, 2016 10:13 am

Hi
The most important question is why you want to upgrade?
Turning by hand is not an issue if you want to spend 8 hours daily on scanning only then you can think about upgrade or TT1. But if not, then keep going. For camera I think you can if it will give you more fine results.
Logitech QuickCAM Pro 9000
Toshiba Satellite, 4GB RAM, 1GB AMD display
Panasonic Projector (model unknown)
AIMED

Return to Structured Light Scanning