Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Wide angle Lens for The Projector? It's Not What You Think

Problems, solutions and discussion about scanning with a video projector and stripe patterns.

Wide angle Lens for The Projector? It's Not What You Think

Postby micr0 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:32 pm

I guess the first questions are:

How important is projector focus to scanning quality?

How much does the calibration process compensate for the projected image losing focus as it gets closer or further away from the plane at which the projector is focused?

Is increasing the focal depth of the projector possible and or worth doing?

There is a lot of information here about using magnifying lenses on projectors to allow projectors to focus much more closely for scanning very small objects, but I was wondering if anyone has gone the other way and used a wide angle lens on the projector to narrow the image? my though is that this would put the projector further away from the subject and allow a larger depth of focus. Projectors unlike cameras have a very narrow depth of focus and I can't help buut wonder if that is causing problems in scanning objects that are deep.

Anyone else have thought on this?

Am I thinking too much about something that really doesn't matter (again :D )?
µ
micr0

Return to Structured Light Scanning