Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Error with texture file

Problems, solutions and discussion about scanning with a video projector and stripe patterns.

Error with texture file

Postby tiago » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:23 pm

Hello everyone,

I've been recently asked to help out with a brand new David SLS2 scanner. Although I had never worked with a David scanner before, I had some experience with 3D modelling, namely with photogrammetry, so I guess I was the closest thing to an expert available.

Well, all of the process went well, regarding installation, setup and calibration of the scanner. To top it off, we decided to finish our first test day with a trial in scanning a whole object. We knew there would be some errors in the process, but we needed to know if it was working fine. The scanning process went smoothly and I've managed to align the several scans in order to rebuild our complete model. Apparently, all was going well with the texture grabbing process, as well.

I exported the final file as an .OBJ and wanted to do further work on Meshlab and Blender - namely, cleaning the model a little from minor errors (Meshlab) and, afterwards, creating a short animation showcasing the scanned objct (Blender). Well, this is where I had a major problem... When I opened the .OBJ file on Meshlab, I got an error message indicating that the program could not associate the texture file (.PNG) with the 3D model file. So, I just got stuck with a textureless object. If I try reopening the .OBJ file on Meshlab, it will not repeat the attempt to connect with the texture file, so I cannot replicate the error in order to explain it better here.

Can anyone help me out with this? What have I done wrong?

Many thanks!
tiago

Re: Error with texture file

Postby drndadoo » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:17 pm

Hi Tiago,

Can you try to import the same file in any other software then Meshlab? Please try to export any other scan and a fusion result and then import them into Meshlab.
Also please try to reimport this problematic file into DAVID again to see is texture still good or not.
drndadoo
DAVID Support

Postby WalterMo » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:47 pm

Hello Tiago,

A tip:

Here on this DAVID site you will find a raw face scan of a woman with texture for download:
http://www.david-3d.com/de/support/downloads

This file will be opened fine by MeshLab. Maybe you can find the difference to your scan.

A DAVID texture also consists of the .mtl file.
WalterMo

Postby tiago » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:09 pm

Many thanks for your contributions and input!

I can't easily try to replicate the process, given that I don't work at the place where the scanner is located - I'm collaborating with them, due to a lack of knowledgeable human resources over there. Also, my personal notebook is not very powerful, so I can't do extensive testing.

I could send you the files obtained from that first test, if you think that could help.
tiago

Postby drndadoo » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:36 am

Do you have .mtl file with the .obj and .png and can you open the .png file in any other software?
drndadoo
DAVID Support

Postby tiago » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:03 pm

OK, so I'm back to give you guys some feedback on the limited testing I was able to perform. I ended up re-downloading the original files I had gotten from David software. I had indeed an .obj file with attached .mtl and .png files. I am also able to open the .png file on image editing software.

So I've retried opening the .obj file with Meshlab and it all went smoothly. It projected the texture perfectly.

Now I have a different problem stopping me from testing my ability to use these files on Blender (which would be very important for me to create renderings of the scaanned objects) - the .obj file is too large for my personal computer to load on Blender. I can't even try and reduce the resolution using Meshlab, due to memory limitations of my equipment.

The only way I can do it is using the .ply version of the 3D model, but I can't get the texture to work with this file - does any of you have any ideas on why is that?

Many many thanks!
tiago

Postby WalterMo » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:50 pm

You can reduce the obj file size by reducing the resolution directly in DAVID's Shape Fusion. Simply right-click on the file name under 'List of Scans' and choose 'Reduce mesh density'.
If you are using a texture on your scanned object it often conceals a "rough subconstruction" of less vertices and triangles.
WalterMo

Postby drndadoo » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:13 pm

As WalterMo said you can reduce file size in DAVID. For the Blender and texture problem Google is your friend :)

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthr ... at-texture
drndadoo
DAVID Support

Postby tiago » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:38 pm

Once again, many thanks for the input!

Walter, your option is complicated for me, given that I'm working the model on my personal PC, not the one where David software is installed. I basically made a copy of the resulting files on my pen drive at the end of that test day and brought them along with me to try and make some post-processing.

drndadoo, I will try and follow those tips on the link you provided - I'm quite used to self-teaching using online resources (I've learned a lot on several softwares like that), but in this case I admit I was feeling a bit lost. I'm not that savvy with 3D formats and this is a complicated week for me, so I could not dedicate myself to extensive searches.

TYVM! I will keep you informed of my progresses!
tiago

Return to Structured Light Scanning