Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

SLS Image Grabber - What am I doing wrong?

Problems, solutions and discussion about scanning with a video projector and stripe patterns.

SLS Image Grabber - What am I doing wrong?

Postby OvaR8ed » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:34 pm

I can get live scanning to work perfectly, but I recently got a DSLR Camera and a portable projector so I want to use the Image grabber to make the setup more mobile.

So I saved the Patterns for a default scan, loaded them on the projector, setup the projector and camera at approximately 30 degrees and took a pic of each pattern using a remote.

I set the software to Image Grabber

I browse to the images and select cam_calib and the image files.
There is a copy of the images in the following zip file: http://www.cgsinc.co.za/images/David/cam_calib.zip (10MB)

The images load and the sequence starts playing by itself.
I go to Calibrate (note that both is selected by default) and then it calibrates successful.

I did notice after the calibration that the dropdown changed to Horizontal by itself, should this happen...?

Without changing any settings I hit Scan Background

There are no errors, but everything comes out in one weird flat plane...?

I thought this had something to do with the fact that I loaded Both Horizontal and Vertical Lined Images, but the Calibration changed to Horizontal automatically. I changed the Dropdown back to Both and scanned the background again, this time it looked even worse!

Then I changed back to Horizontal, but this time I only browsed and selected the images with Vertical Lines on them:

From far it looked like success, but when I zoomed there was a weird stepped effect going on in the scan of the background

I really don't know what to do next... Can anyone help?
OvaR8ed

Re: SLS Image Grabber - What am I doing wrong?

Postby Curiousjeff » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:17 pm

If you look at your images in a regular image viewer in color, you can see that you have a frequency problems. Simply look at your thumbnails. It's a rainbow.

You must adjust you shutter speed to 1/60 of a second.

I can't guarantee that that is the cause of the problem, but I would certainly try to remove those color differences.

See also this link (including a video)

http://forum.david-3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6627&p=33390#p33388

I find it very risky to try to scan without a computer, with only a projector and a camera. If something went wrong and you can't calibrate once back at the office, you lost all your work.

Maybe the David team will want to make a mobile App only to check the calibration ? :D
Then yes, you could safely be mobile
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Panasonic GH4 4K with lens 12-35, Inogeni 4K to USB3 hdmi capture device, projectors: Acer K135/Acer K11/NEC V260X, Canon 60D, macro 60 mm, MagicLantern
Curiousjeff

Return to Structured Light Scanning