Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Vertical vs Horizontal vs Both ... what's the best setup?

Problems, solutions and discussion about scanning with a video projector and stripe patterns.

Vertical vs Horizontal vs Both ... what's the best setup?

Postby mr_cg » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:11 pm

I am getting more and more familar with DAVID and i am going to construct my own SLS frame.
My idea is to have the frame mountable on a tripod and alternatively to be used standalone on a table (without tripod).
Now i am thinking about what will be the best setup ... vertical, horizontal or even both???

Horizontal setup seems to be the easiest solution in terms of construction.
Vertical setup is much more space saving but construction is more "challenging".

In DAVID SLS documentation the advice is to have horizontal setup ... objects up to 110mm cam left, objects from 110-350mm cam left or right, objects bigger than 350mm cam on the right.
Also here in the forum i have read that for small objects it's better to have horizontal setup with cam on the left.
Vertical setup is not mentioned in the documentation .... because SLS-2 is not designed for it or vertical setup is not recommended???

My question:
What is the reason for this advice (cam left or right)? Is there any detailed explanation or calculation behind?
And is there any technical explanation ... if and why horizontal setup is betten than vertical setup?

I really would like to understand the detailed things behind to find (or calculate) the best setup individually.
The more detailed your explanation ... the better.
;-)
DAVID4 Pro v4.3.6 (64bit) - david-cam-3.1-m - IDS UEYE UI-1540-M - Canon EOS 600d (Canon Lens: EF-S 18-135 IS) - Acer K135i Projector + 37mm Close-Up Lens
mr_cg

Return to Structured Light Scanning