Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

HARDWARE AND SETTINGS COMPARAISON

Problems, solutions and discussion about scanning with a video projector and stripe patterns.

Re: HARDWARE AND SETTINGS COMPARAISON

Postby tailele » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:34 pm

Curiousjeff wrote:This first test is comparing the same setup with three different acquisition methods:

Calibration panel positive (from David laser kit) , 120 mm

Projector NEC V260X native resolution 1024 x 768

1) Canon 60D Live view 27 patterns (1056x704)

2) Canon 60D + Lestcan + image grabber 21 patterns (2592 x 1728)

3) Nikon D5200 + Blackmagic capture card (1920 x 1080)

Comments:

1) I get much better results with NEC then with the Acer K135i which causes surface artifacts (I will post some test in the future with the K135i). Maybe a frequency issue or the "diamond" shape of the pixels of the DLP chip of the Acer.

2) I did not use MagicLantern in these tests for the Canon live view

3) Letscan is a little better then the Nikon + HDMI but the Nikon solution is very fast and simple (less then 15 seconds per scan)

4) Both Letscan and Nikon are much better then Canon live view

Hi, i see that you use black magic with nikon; i bought a black magic intensity shuttle for my nikon d600, but i don't see anything in David, could you give me an Hand please? are there some setytings? i try to set the nikon and the software to 10'0 p or 720 p but the software media express goes well; when i launch David the screen is black...
Benq w700, hp elitebook 8570w; blackmagic intense shuttle 3.0; nikon D600; Nikon macro 105mm VRII
tailele

Postby Curiousjeff » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:11 am

Yes, it took me a few hours to figure it out.

Let me know how it works with the Shuttle.

Jeff
Attachments
BM_Capture.PNG
Panasonic GH4 4K with lens 12-35, Inogeni 4K to USB3 hdmi capture device, projectors: Acer K135/Acer K11/NEC V260X, Canon 60D, macro 60 mm, MagicLantern
Curiousjeff

Postby tailele » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:07 am

Thanks, today i'll test this method..
Benq w700, hp elitebook 8570w; blackmagic intense shuttle 3.0; nikon D600; Nikon macro 105mm VRII
tailele

Postby micr0 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:11 pm

A quick update. I finally solved my distortion issue. I was on vacation all last week and was thinking about the problem and the first thought that came to mind was that my problem was caused by keystoning set in the projector. I was pretty sure I had turned it off but glancing through the manual for the projector I had downloaded, I noticed that there was an auto Keystone function and I had reset the factory defaults so that may have been the problem. we it wasn't. the keystoning was off but I did notice that there were manual edge compensation settings for all 4 corners and they each had non zero values assigned. resetting that function to zero solved my issue. Here is the first set of scans after resetting the projectors corner comp values:

Block Hi Rez 1.jpg

Now on to the real question everyone is having about the IS DMK23UX174 Camera:

I tried the camera with both the new 1080P (HD) projector and the 720P Optoma. There is definitely a difference. The scans have much sharper detail than they did with the David cam3.

First model with the David cam.

Block David Cam.jpg

And the same model with the IS cam:

Block Hi Rez 2.jpg

µ
µ
micr0

Postby micr0 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:20 pm

For those that were asking about the Imaging Source DMK23UX174. The retail here in the US is about $700. A suitable lens is at least $250. So with shipping etc it's about $1k. You have to use a lens that is made for a 1" sensor or larger. a 2/3 or 1/2 lens will produce inaccurate scans due to the distortion at the extreme edges of the image that is hitting the sensor. I wound up with a Fujion 16mm lens as the 12mm lens that was first sent to me was way too wide. A 12mm lens for a 1" sensor is about $140, but you wind up having to place the camera too close to the object relitive to the projector that is doesn't work well. The other readily available lens is a 25mm which I'd like to try as the 16mm is still a bit wide but pretty close.

Here is a close up of the casting marks done with the Hi rez set up (IS camera and the HD projector).

Last note. setting this LG projector to "PC Mode" helped with the surface quality.

Block Hi Rez zoom1.jpg

µ
µ
micr0

Postby Curiousjeff » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:23 pm

I was traveling when you posted your latest results.

Really great scan. Beautiful detail and surface.

Do you notice any quality difference between the two projectors ?

I am really interested if there is an improvement in the resolution of the scan due to the higher resolution of the projector ( the improvement due to the higher resolution of the camera is clear) ?

I am convinced that the square pixel projectors give a better surface finish then the diamond ones, so the surface quality is not part of my question.

I know I asked about this previously, but now that you have had more time with your new setup, I would like to know your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Jeff
Panasonic GH4 4K with lens 12-35, Inogeni 4K to USB3 hdmi capture device, projectors: Acer K135/Acer K11/NEC V260X, Canon 60D, macro 60 mm, MagicLantern
Curiousjeff

Postby micr0 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:20 pm

I'm still having some alignment problems that I'm thinking are distortions caused by focal window. I'm having problems with the near and far edges of large edges matching up which are areas where the projector is way out of focus. The camera is less so because I'm using a small aperture but that may also be part of the problem. I've been away from my shop for the last week and hope this weekend to try a few things out to see if I can either confirm my suspicions or deduce the actual problem.

µ
µ
micr0

Postby Mcdos » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:54 pm

Sorry, but what is this stripes? I can't remove them. not seen by eye. They affect to Camera Scan and Image Scan making stripes.
Attachments
2016-04-07_20-43-49.jpg
Mcdos

Postby Alfa » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:20 pm

Hello everybody.
I have not found an appropriate topic for my question, so I decided to write here.
I would like build my first system for scanning too. The ferst I would like to use the complex - Canon+Projector+DLS3 + LETS SCAN CANON EOS EDITION V2.2
Now I am looking for a projector. I have two cameras Сanon 5d III and Canon 60d.
I understand that probably will get the best quality with Сanon 5d III, but what proector is need for it?
Please advise me some one.
I have read the FAQ already and a lot of information on the forum, but did not find anyone who uses full frame Canon.
Am I rihgt that it is need some one a projector with a resolution of 1920x1080 ?
I have found here is a Acer p1500 but I see that he has only 1080p/24ps. Is it OK?
Or the best to have possibilit 60 ps?
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Acer-P1500.htm

Thank you in advance.
Сanon 5d III + 50 mm Makro
Alfa

Postby hal » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:50 am

Hello Mcdos,
sorry for the late reply, I hope you already solved the issue: strieps are related to different speeds between projector and camera. Example: if projector frequency is at 60Hz, your camera should be at 1/60 of exposure value. That will sove the gap between what camera see and the speed of the projected images.

Matttia
hal

Postby m0delista » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:38 pm

Hey Guys for doing this thye camera need a lIve View function ?
m0delista

Postby hal » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:41 am

Hi m0delista,
If you mean to use the photocamera as a cam: yes, live function required. Otherwise you could use camera shoots as usual.
Mattia
hal

Postby conceptdsn » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:33 am

I have read several of these posts.
I read one person getting black screen just as i am getting as well. I looked at the screen shot showing the settings . i have done exactly this yet i cannot view anything from my camera.
Canon EOS T3i Black magic 4k pro card.
Camera's: Canon eos t3i, 2x c615 webcams
150 mm calibration panel commonly used
acer k135 Projector/ infocus trial projector
Process computer: i7- 8 core processor, 128g ram, nvidia 6000

www.conceptdsn.com
conceptdsn

Postby conceptdsn » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:42 pm

I was able to get it to work . my experience is you must have the blackmagic utility open while working in david.
I had an issue with my video card output for the projector.
So far im not entirely happy with the scans. they seem to be warped. i have a spent a great deal of time trying to make sure the calibration panels are as close to perfect as possible.

I now have 6 different panel sizes. all properly scaled. from 400mm down to 30 mm.
I have only been able to make my 150mm panel work but again my scans are slightly warped when i align them all.

one top is make sure everything is in focus. im playing with F2.8 focal because it absolutly made a difference in one part i scanned. One section was not as crisp.
Camera's: Canon eos t3i, 2x c615 webcams
150 mm calibration panel commonly used
acer k135 Projector/ infocus trial projector
Process computer: i7- 8 core processor, 128g ram, nvidia 6000

www.conceptdsn.com
conceptdsn

Previous

Return to Structured Light Scanning