Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Does David support 4k camera?

Problems, solutions and discussion about scanning with a video projector and stripe patterns.

Re: Does David support 4k camera?

Postby Curiousjeff » Thu May 19, 2016 8:36 pm

Comparaison:

Figure: 47 mm height
Panasonic GH4 with Canon macro lens / NEC V260x with macro lens

4K (purple) vs FullHD (green)

Same number of patterns: 29 (vertical setup)

Time:

Fullhd: 14 seconds
4K: 22 seconds

Second image: fusion 3000
Attachments
2016-05-19_21-29-21.png
2016-05-19_21-34-55.png
Panasonic GH4 4K with lens 12-35, Inogeni 4K to USB3 hdmi capture device, projectors: Acer K135/Acer K11/NEC V260X, Canon 60D, macro 60 mm, MagicLantern
Curiousjeff

Postby Curiousjeff » Wed May 25, 2016 1:45 pm

I got a message from a user concerning the use of the Inogeni in 4K with David.

1) You must connect the Inogeni to a USB3 port for 4K.
2) At the time I started using it, it did not work with the "ASMedia" chipset that was in my computer. Since it had worked on my laptop with the Renesas chipset, I purchased a PCIe card with that chipset for my PC ($10?).
Under windows 7 it worked like a charm with the settings in the photo below.

After upgrading to Windows 10, it did not work with David anymore. I searched for a solution but finally decided to simply install a double boot on my PC.

When I want to scan in 4k, I boot in Windows 7 (64bit).

You can first make sure your PC is getting a 4k signal with "Inogeni Sample Capture" (as per image, you should get around 29 for the average frame rate).

Finally, you can also contact Inogeni directly. Their tech support is excellent.

Jeff

P.S. There have been many firmware upgrade to the Inogeni that maybe resolve one of these two problems, but I have not tested.
Attachments
Inogeni-4K.jpg
Inogeni-4K.jpg (61.15 KiB) Viewed 1888 times
Inogeni-test.jpg
Panasonic GH4 4K with lens 12-35, Inogeni 4K to USB3 hdmi capture device, projectors: Acer K135/Acer K11/NEC V260X, Canon 60D, macro 60 mm, MagicLantern
Curiousjeff

Postby drndadoo » Fri May 27, 2016 12:23 pm

ASMedia USB controller is also making a problems to the users with the DAVID Cam. But it looks like we are not alone on ASMedia problems list. Try to use different driver with that chipset.
Maybe the original driver from the manufacturer will work better then Windows generic.
drndadoo
DAVID Support

Postby rihim » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:07 pm

@Jeff:

I recently got a Panasonic GH7 and a Magewell capture card, and now when I connect it to David the focus brackets and some menu displays show up in David, which I am unable to remove. How did you deal with these overlays with your GH4? Is there some setting in either your capture card or camera which can remove them?
rihim

Postby Curiousjeff » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:01 pm

Hi,

As far as I know, there is no GH7 model from Panasonic.

What camera do you have ?

In any case, make a Goggle search for your camera model and the words "clean hdmi out" or "clean hdmi output"

If it is available, then there will be a menu option to activate it.

This is a camera only issue. The capture card does not add any information.

For the GH4 it is:

Motion picture ->
HDMI REC OUTPUT ->
Info display -> OFF

If your camera does not have "clean hdmi out", you are out of luck.

Jeff
Curiousjeff

Postby rihim » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:40 pm

Curiousjeff wrote:Hi,

As far as I know, there is no GH7 model from Panasonic.

What camera do you have ?

In any case, make a Goggle search for your camera model and the words "clean hdmi out" or "clean hdmi output"

If it is available, then there will be a menu option to activate it.

This is a camera only issue. The capture card does not add any information.

For the GH4 it is:

Motion picture ->
HDMI REC OUTPUT ->
Info display -> OFF

If your camera does not have "clean hdmi out", you are out of luck.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I have a G7 but the same menu sequence worked. It is showing in David, but the live-view is in grayscale. This camera seems to be the "little brother" of the GH4, are there any other settings which helped you optimize the GH4 to work with David?
rihim

Postby Curiousjeff » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:49 pm

The grey scale live view is from David.

If you look at the texture tab, you should see the image in color.

There are settings to get best results. See this thread (I am on my smartphone right now).

For sure:
Low iso
Shutter 1/60
Any setting that can reduce the jittering of the sine wave.
Most important (if available) Synchro scan! Let's you adjust frequency in 1/10 of a fstop. Adjust until no lines are moving across the screen.

Unfortunately, the lens cannot keep focus after shutdown. This is a pain because you must re calibrate. I don't have this problem when using a lens with a basic adapter. Then the camera cannot modify the focus.

Jeff
Curiousjeff

Previous

Return to Structured Light Scanning