[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4810: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4811: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
DAVID-Laserscanner Forum • View topic - Rough surface on scan
Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by then end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

Rough surface on scan

Problems, solutions and discussion about scanning with a video projector and stripe patterns.

Rough surface on scan

Postby motordude » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:49 pm

001.JPG
SLS setup
panels.jpg
Panels
gear.jpg
Gear with rough surface
Hello all, I put my SLS system together and are now doing some trials. I can`t get a nice surface, it's pretty rough. I have looked through a lot of posts and adjusted the projector settings, played around with software settings etc. as recommended in the posts. Camera and projector have correct resolution, I also played around with those, without any improvement.

I have tried everything (it seems) and I am running out of ideas. The calibration corner is glass and perfectly perpendicular and flat. The paper is glued on nicely without any any airbubbles. I have tried both negative and positive calibration corner, same problem. The room is completely dark during scanning. Angle between projector and scanner is 23°. Calibration runs flawlessly.
I put a black cloth on the table to minimize reflection during scanning. I have used another camera, Logitech C9000Pro, same issues, but worse.

Projector Acer K132
Camera LP0262A

Help, please!!!

Thanks
John
motordude

Re: Rough surface on scan

Postby micr0 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:59 pm

First check the refresh rat setting in the projector and compare that with the frame rate of the camera. Ideally they would be the same but often it isn't possible to get them matched exactly. If not, try to make sure that one is an even multiple or factor of the other (like 30fps/60hz). Play with these setting and see if that helps.

µ
µ
micr0

Postby Curiousjeff » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:56 pm

I have also encountered a lot of problems.

You can see the discussion here: "The Great Lines in Scans Experiment".

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6457

I believe that there is some issue with this family of projectors. I have grabed two other on Ebay (Nec & Acer K11). I will receive them soon and post results.

I would try this: Lower as much as possible the brightness of the projector.

In my configuration, when the Acer K135 (like K132) is at high brightness, I get a lot of waves and bad surface texture.

Let us know how it goes.

Jeff
Panasonic GH4 4K with lens 12-35, Inogeni 4K to USB3 hdmi capture device, projectors: Acer K135/Acer K11/NEC V260X, Canon 60D, macro 60 mm, MagicLantern
Curiousjeff

Postby motordude » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:38 am

Thanks for your responses! When I point the camera on a projected image on the wall, there is flickering (waves) on the screen. This is not just when using DAVID, but any Video Capture Software. When using DAVID I find that the red sinus lines are very nervous compared to what is shown in the tutorial videos. The amplitude is small, but the frequency is high. I have tried to adjust, but with no luck. What is causing this?
motordude

Postby Curiousjeff » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:55 am

I don't know about the available adjustments of your camera.

But you must get rid of the flickering as much as possible.

The objective is to try to synchronize as much as possible the projector and the camera.

With my Canon EOS D60, I selected 15 FPS. That gave me decent results. You can try:

Different projector resolution and frequency (even if it is not the native resolution)
Different camera settings (frame per seconds & shutter speed if available separately)
Lower brightness of Acer K132 projector

Of course, you should:
Set the "Pattern parameters" to quality (54 patterns) under Structured light tab in DLS
Calibrate with the 54 patterns
Scan with 27 patterns (with your setup)

Jeff
Panasonic GH4 4K with lens 12-35, Inogeni 4K to USB3 hdmi capture device, projectors: Acer K135/Acer K11/NEC V260X, Canon 60D, macro 60 mm, MagicLantern
Curiousjeff

Postby drndadoo » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:03 am

It Can happen that some other device is causing flickering. If you are using power cord with more outlets be sure to have only laptop and projector plugged in. Also try some other outlets maybe even from other room.
Maybe you could test the live picture without projector do you still get the flickering? Electricity can be nasty thing to set up. You could also test your scanner somewhere else (in office, at home, at friends...)
then you will be sure is it scanner fault. I forgot to mention if you are using dimmer for lights it could mess up everything. It's better to switch off the lights in the room completely.
drndadoo
DAVID Support

Return to Structured Light Scanning