Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

DLP portable projectors are not good for SLS

Problems, solutions and discussion about scanning with a video projector and stripe patterns.

DLP portable projectors are not good for SLS

Postby ashanin » Wed May 06, 2015 7:30 pm

I've been exploring mini dlp projectors for some time. They look really great for SLS at first time. But there is a major problem with all of them. All portable and mini DLP projectors use diamond pixels on their DLP chip. That mean such projector has much lower resolution compared to an ordinary square pixel chip. That's why many of you experience surface waviness and dimensional accuracy problems.
Here you can see how diamond pattern chip will display an ordinary text.

You can read more about diamond pixel pattern here. http://www.kguttag.com/2012/02/09/ti-dlp-diamond-pixel/

So now i am trying to find not really big projector with normal pixel grid. What i have found is new LG PF1500 projector. 1080p native resolution with normal pixels that weights ~3pounds.
David 4
Optoma ML750 / BENQ MW523 with close-up lens / going to buy LG PF1500
Canon 5Dmk2 / waiting for my Point Grey Flea2 2mp mono cam
ashanin

Return to Structured Light Scanning